Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loose Pushfit fittings

We've just had to replace 15mm pipes with 22mm to install a new mixer
shower, which meant cutting the 15, pipes at the T and running 22mm
from there up to the shower valve. For the most part I've used solder
ring joints, which are sound, but I though for 'ease of use' I'd use a
pushfit reducer where the 22mm meets the 15mm, so I could assemble
everything else then 'simply' push the finished pipes onto the old
ones.

However, when I pushed the pipes on (one of them in particular), they
only connected for approx 5-10mm before sticking. One I manged to push
further, but the other is stuck fast. I can neither pull it off nor
push it further, and it seems very loose as it can wobble from side to
side on the joint. Before you ask, yes I cleaned the 15mm pipe and it
was cut square.

I've turned on the water supply and bled the trapped air from the top
of the pipes, and there are no leaks so far, but obviously I'm slightly
concerned about the possibility of leaks in the future. The joints are
below the bath line, so easy to get at should I need to.

The only thing I was thinking is perhaps adding solder around the loose
joint, or some other kind of seal.

Any ideas? Other than cutting it off and starting again (there's not
much 15mm pipe left above the T).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I forgot to mention that the pushfit connector is of the copper
variety, not plastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GI Joe wrote:
I forgot to mention that the pushfit connector is of the copper
variety, not plastic.

Ive only used the copper type once, i seem to remember that a specific
'demounting' tool was required as the release ring was flush with the
fitting. if you are unsure of the integrity of the connection it may be
worth cutting them out and use solder ring fittings to complete the
job, a mains pressure leak can really spoil your weekend!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GI Joe wrote:

The only thing I was thinking is perhaps adding solder around the loose
joint, or some other kind of seal.

Are you serious??

Just demount the joint and replace it.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GI Joe wrote:
[...]

It's a rubber O ring that seals the pushfit fittings so soldering isnt
a very good idea!! it might be "home" correctly as pushfit joints are
not rigid there is an amount of play inherent in them. Around 4deg if i
remember rightly, this would give you a total 8 deg movement side to
side and explain youre "wobble". If in doubt remount it, you do need a
tool ( about £1) to do it.