Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cavity wall insulation

Local Council ad in the paper for energy efficiency, so I'm wondering
about cavity wall insulation, will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!, what size hole for injection and at what
intervals?
And are the savings worth it?
Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
Local Council ad in the paper for energy efficiency, so I'm wondering
about cavity wall insulation, will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!, what size hole for injection and at what
intervals?

It depends on the contractor and what sort but the savings far outweigh the
aesthetic drawbacks.

And are the savings worth it?

Undoubtedly.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Local Council ad in the paper for energy efficiency, so I'm wondering
about cavity wall insulation, will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!,

Not so you'd notice!

And are the savings worth it?

The comfort is, the savings probably are too.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Ron is offline

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Local Council ad in the paper for energy efficiency, so I'm wondering
about cavity wall insulation, will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!, what size hole for injection and at what
intervals?
And are the savings worth it?
Cheers,

Just make sure you do not have a garage on the side of your house or it will
cost you about £600.
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!,

Not so you'd notice!

It depends rather on the wall finish and the care and skill of the
contractor.

The flats opposite me have a rendered finish and the infill dots are
noticeable, but not terribly intrusive.

In a brick wall with regular mortar lines and a variation in brick
colour making matching the colour more difficult, the holes would be
much more noticeable.

Probably still worth doing though, for economy and comfort, and the
added value of the insulation to the house price would more than offset
the slight detraction in exterior appearance (unless, of course, the
house is particularly delightful to start with).

I think I'd have the contractor start at the back until I saw how well
he was filling the holes.

If you care enough, you could scoop the last 1cm out of the hole before
it set, and then contrive a matching solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Local Council ad in the paper for energy efficiency, so I'm wondering
about cavity wall insulation, will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!, what size hole for injection and at what
intervals?
And are the savings worth it?
Cheers,

Usually 12mm diameter holes, roughly at one metre intervals vertically and
horizontally, usually through the mortar between bricks, unless rendered in
which case they just drill through. Typical heat loss is 30% through
uninsulated cavity walls, so your house will immediately feel warmer. Also,
in older houses with suspended wooden floors, under-floor draughts and
draughts through upstairs floors are often reduced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 25, 11:11 pm, "Ron" wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in oglegroups.com... Local Council ad in the paper for energy efficiency, so I'm wondering
about cavity wall insulation, will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!, what size hole for injection and at what
intervals?
And are the savings worth it?
Cheers,Just make sure you do not have a garage on the side of your house or it will

cost you about £600.
Ron

We got quoted £494 yesterday for a 3 bed detached with single storey
extension. Last February a 3 bed without extension cost £160. Both
from the same company.

Inflation seems to have the roof in Dorset

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!,

Not so you'd notice!

It depends rather on the wall finish and the care and skill of the
contractor.

The flats opposite me have a rendered finish and the infill dots are
noticeable, but not terribly intrusive.

In a brick wall with regular mortar lines and a variation in brick colour
making matching the colour more difficult, the holes would be much more
noticeable.

When we had ours done I asked them to fill the holes with a matching
'mortar' (the original was red, we pointed with mastic sand when we moved
in). They said that they couldn't so they knocked quite a sum off the bill
so that we could do it ourselves. We never got round to it and the other
week I was looking for the holes - which they filled with ordinary mortar.
It took a long time to find them - to my surprise.

Probably still worth doing though, for economy and comfort, and the added
value of the insulation to the house price would more than offset the
slight detraction in exterior appearance (unless, of course, the house is
particularly delightful to start with).

Oh absolutely, I couldn't agree more. the visual impact is very small and
could be resolved if it were thought necessary.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!,

Not so you'd notice!

It depends rather on the wall finish and the care and skill of the
contractor.

The flats opposite me have a rendered finish and the infill dots are
noticeable, but not terribly intrusive.

In a brick wall with regular mortar lines and a variation in brick
colour making matching the colour more difficult, the holes would be
much more noticeable.

Probably still worth doing though, for economy and comfort, and the
added value of the insulation to the house price would more than offset
the slight detraction in exterior appearance (unless, of course, the
house is particularly delightful to start with).

I think I'd have the contractor start at the back until I saw how well
he was filling the holes.

Owain

Thats where It'd be tricky, its a double fronted house. It's dashed in
white and black stone, the extension has been done in the same and the
match is so so.
I'm afraid of having it look like a Dalmation !!! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:17:44 +0100 someone who may be "Codswallop"
wrote this:-

Usually 12mm diameter holes, roughly at one metre intervals vertically and
horizontally, usually through the mortar between bricks, unless rendered in
which case they just drill through. Typical heat loss is 30% through
uninsulated cavity walls, so your house will immediately feel warmer.

It will also be cooler in summer, as less heat will be conducted in
through the walls.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Junior Member

Location: sunderland. england

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffbull
Local Council ad in the paper for energy efficiency, so I'm wondering
about cavity wall insulation, will it leave the outside of the house
peppered with dots !!, what size hole for injection and at what
intervals?
And are the savings worth it?
Cheers,
i used to do this for a living (about 20 years ago) and we used to pride ourselves on trying to leave no trace of any drilling. it's probably almost impossible to completely disguise the holes but any decent company should be trying to be better at it than their competitor's.
we used to use various coloured powders/dyes to mix with the cement or in your case from what i can remember i would mix white paint with the cement and pick the stones up that were knocked out by the drilling and stick them in the wet cement.
hope this is of some help,
pitbull
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Usually 12mm diameter holes, roughly at one metre intervals vertically and
horizontally, usually through the mortar between bricks, unless rendered in
which case they just drill through. Typical heat loss is 30% through
uninsulated cavity walls, so your house will immediately feel warmer.

It will also be cooler in summer, as less heat will be conducted in
through the walls.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Phoned them today, grant forms in the post, I can get £2000's worth
done for nowt as I'm unemployed at the mo, make hay while the sun
shines and all that !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pitbull wrote:
Staffbull Wrote:
[...]

I've decided to get it done, as the asthetics come second to keeping
the house warm cheaper, but thanks for the pointers on minimising the
visual impact :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
Owain wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

When we did houses with a whiteish render, we pointed the holes up[1] with
tyrolean which dries almost brilliant white, occasionally we would do a
yellow, blue, pink or whatever colour and I never did one that I had to
touch up th holes afterwards with paint, we also carried 6 or 7 colours of
mortar dye, red, buff(yellow) black, brown, green and blue...with these we
could make a mix suitable for any house.

We wore 'marigold' type rubber gloves and pointed each hole up with a
'sausage' of mortar pushed deep into the hole and smoothed with the fingers,
some firms (not naming names here) would use a trowel but the problem with
this was that they only got a quarter inch of mortar over the end, after a
year or two it had washed away.
The repointing is done as each hole is finished.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct 2006 09:22:58 -0700 someone who may be "Staffbull"
wrote this:-

Phoned them today, grant forms in the post, I can get £2000's worth
done for nowt as I'm unemployed at the mo, make hay while the sun
shines and all that !!!

Get the loft done as well, if it isn't already. Cavity wall and loft
insulation will ISTR reduce heat losses by something like 60%. They
should also do draught proofing. Also insulate heating pipes, hot
water pipes and a badly lagged hot water cylinder.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Phoned them today, grant forms in the post, I can get £2000's worth
done for nowt as I'm unemployed at the mo, make hay while the sun
shines and all that !!!

Get the loft done as well, if it isn't already. Cavity wall and loft
insulation will ISTR reduce heat losses by something like 60%. They
should also do draught proofing. Also insulate heating pipes, hot
water pipes and a badly lagged hot water cylinder.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

the loft's done but only about 100mm so plenty of room for more :-)

Wall cavity insulation [email protected] UK diy 23 July 28th 06 10:07 AM
Cavity wall Insulation - opinions ??? mark harrison UK diy 2 January 4th 06 10:07 AM
Cavity wall insulation - and now the roof . .. Stephen UK diy 4 November 17th 05 11:44 AM
Cavity wall insulation doozer UK diy 7 November 16th 05 05:13 PM
Cavity Wall Insulation Yes or NO [email protected] UK diy 7 September 25th 05 02:16 PM