Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen

Default Cavity wall insulation - and now the roof . ..

Many thanks for all of the replies - now off to sort out getting the
wall insulation done.
Whilst I'm on the subject it would seem a good time to take a look at
the roof too. At the moment it is lagged (between the ceiling joists)
with 100mm fibreglass stuff. It seems that todays fashion would indicate
more depth. Or would I be better to add insulation between the roof
purlins under the tiles ?
The roof is a 1980s W wooden frame holding up tiles, with felting
underneath. How I'm going to crawl into the farthest reaches of the roof
space I don't know !
I presume I should leave the small gaps under the eaves open.
What do you think ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:14:11 +0000, Stephen
wrote:

Many thanks for all of the replies - now off to sort out getting the
wall insulation done.
Whilst I'm on the subject it would seem a good time to take a look at
the roof too. At the moment it is lagged (between the ceiling joists)
with 100mm fibreglass stuff. It seems that todays fashion would indicate
more depth. Or would I be better to add insulation between the roof
purlins under the tiles ?
The roof is a 1980s W wooden frame holding up tiles, with felting
underneath. How I'm going to crawl into the farthest reaches of the roof
space I don't know !
I presume I should leave the small gaps under the eaves open.
What do you think ?

I had a similar thing, I put 250mm more in, going accross the joists.

I simply dressed up, covering every tiny bit of skin and crawled in. I
used a couple of boards to make sure I did not go through the
ceilings.

If you insulate between the rafters, you will still have an air gap
where the eves are open.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:13:32 GMT, Rick wrote:

| On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:14:11 +0000, Stephen
| wrote:
|
| Many thanks for all of the replies - now off to sort out getting the
| wall insulation done.
| Whilst I'm on the subject it would seem a good time to take a look at
| the roof too. At the moment it is lagged (between the ceiling joists)
| with 100mm fibreglass stuff. It seems that todays fashion would indicate
| more depth. Or would I be better to add insulation between the roof
| purlins under the tiles ?
| The roof is a 1980s W wooden frame holding up tiles, with felting
| underneath. How I'm going to crawl into the farthest reaches of the roof
| space I don't know !
| I presume I should leave the small gaps under the eaves open.
| What do you think ?
|
| I had a similar thing, I put 250mm more in, going accross the joists.
|
| I simply dressed up, covering every tiny bit of skin and crawled in. I
| used a couple of boards to make sure I did not go through the
| ceilings.
|
| If you insulate between the rafters, you will still have an air gap
| where the eves are open.

Eaves should always be open to ventilate the roof space.

I used a long stick/broom to push the insulation to the end of the joists.
I saw some insulation in B&Q which was covered with polythene, which might
get over the itching problem, not sure about costs.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:11:48 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:13:32 GMT, Rick wrote:

| On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:14:11 +0000, Stephen
| wrote:
|
| Many thanks for all of the replies - now off to sort out getting the
| wall insulation done.
| Whilst I'm on the subject it would seem a good time to take a look at
| the roof too. At the moment it is lagged (between the ceiling joists)
| with 100mm fibreglass stuff. It seems that todays fashion would indicate
| more depth. Or would I be better to add insulation between the roof
| purlins under the tiles ?
| The roof is a 1980s W wooden frame holding up tiles, with felting
| underneath. How I'm going to crawl into the farthest reaches of the roof
| space I don't know !
| I presume I should leave the small gaps under the eaves open.
| What do you think ?
|
| I had a similar thing, I put 250mm more in, going accross the joists.
|
| I simply dressed up, covering every tiny bit of skin and crawled in. I
| used a couple of boards to make sure I did not go through the
| ceilings.
|
| If you insulate between the rafters, you will still have an air gap
| where the eves are open.

Eaves should always be open to ventilate the roof space.

I used a long stick/broom to push the insulation to the end of the joists.
I saw some insulation in B&Q which was covered with polythene, which might
get over the itching problem, not sure about costs.

Its not much better, and lots more cash. The cheepest is normally
wickes, but they will run out this wekend - so go early.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Rick
writes
wrote:
I saw some insulation in B&Q which was covered with polythene, which might
get over the itching problem, not sure about costs.

Its not much better, and lots more cash.

That depends. I'm really sensitive to the fibres in glassfibre and
Rockwool insulation. I installed some as extra insulation in my old
house and for me it was much more pleasant to handle. I also found it a
fair bit easier to install over the old insulation, presumably because
the plastic /foil slips easier over the old stuff.

--
Chris French