Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pulley blocks

In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:
I'm looking for a small sheaved pulley system with maybe two or three
pulleys per sheave (if those are the right terms), capable of lifting
a max of say 250 kg. I guess the sort of thing used for lifting engine
blocks out of cars would be OK. Anyone point me to a supplier?

This is towards the upper end of what small yachts would probably
require (would you fancy manually hauling up 250kg of sails?), but is
well within the safe load rating of mountaineering equipment (strength
of human pelvis ~1800kg ; weight of human and gear ~100kg ; one set of
equipment needed to work between these limits). You can get the same
sort of equipment designed for more industrial uses from "Roped Access"
suppliers, e.g. Lyon http://www.lyon.co.uk/workandrescue/ have a
relevant catalogue.
Other people have asked about alternative ways of doing it -
lever and block ; trolly jack ; what beams do you have above the work
site to pull on? There's a lot more than just getting the right tackle.
I know what I'd look at to assess the job, but I don't think one could
assess the job safely from written descriptions.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Pulley blocks somebody UK diy 0 October 24th 06 12:50 AM
Pulley blocks The Natural Philosopher UK diy 0 October 24th 06 12:19 AM
Pulley blocks Andy Dingley UK diy 0 October 23rd 06 12:12 PM
Pulley blocks [email protected] UK diy 0 October 23rd 06 11:19 AM
Pulley blocks Brian Sharrock UK diy 0 October 23rd 06 09:21 AM