Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Captive Basin Waste..Opinions

I have one of these captive basin wastes .
I am wishing I hadn't got it to replace my popup waste .

I find it difficult to get the plug to remain "open" when you lift it and tilt
it to the side .It keeps falling back in to the plughole .

Also if the water is too hot you burn yourself putting your hand in to lift the
plug . I am seriously thinking of taking the waste apart and sawing off the
bottom of the rod below the plug to make it non-captive .That would,at least
,allow me to take it completely out when emptying the basin .
Anyone else got one of these or is there a knack to using it .

Bring back the plug and chain .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:19:41 +0100, Stuart wrote:

I have one of these captive basin wastes .
I am wishing I hadn't got it to replace my popup waste .

I find it difficult to get the plug to remain "open" when you lift it and tilt
it to the side .It keeps falling back in to the plughole .

Also if the water is too hot you burn yourself putting your hand in to lift the
plug . I am seriously thinking of taking the waste apart and sawing off the
bottom of the rod below the plug to make it non-captive .That would,at least
,allow me to take it completely out when emptying the basin .
Anyone else got one of these or is there a knack to using it .

Bring back the plug and chain .

The tilting disc type seem to work really well. They don't seem to leak
the water away when closed which I find surprising.
They are s/fix #16719 and £16 instead of £5.
Alas another example of you get what you pay for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:57:08 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

Funnily enough I looked at that one as well but decided on the other captive one
..It also does keep the water in too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Bring back the plug and chain .

They went away?

Screwfix #90200
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Oct 2006 21:19:25 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Stuart ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Bring back the plug and chain .

They went away?

Screwfix #90200

Ah but where do you secure the top end of the chain if your basin doesn't have
anywhere to fix it ?

Stuart

cast iron waste pipe stressed out UK diy 3 September 21st 06 11:32 AM
Use New or Existing Waste pipe Rob Convery UK diy 1 November 1st 05 05:46 PM
Basin waste connection (leaks) Frank Stacey UK diy 5 November 12th 04 09:10 AM
sink waste vandelay UK diy 9 August 18th 03 05:35 PM
Bath and Basin waste. Troy UK diy 6 July 25th 03 07:41 PM