Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default heating conservatory

3.5 x 3m conservatory what size electric heater will heat this room on
a winters night, it is one of those pentagon shaped conservatories.

Is convection or oil filled the best, I dont really want a fan heater.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

3.5 x 3m conservatory what size electric heater will heat this room on
a winters night, it is one of those pentagon shaped conservatories.

Full height or dwarf wall?
Dwarf wall insulated?
Double glazed or single?
Roof glass or polycarbonate?
Polycarbonate roof double or triple wall?
Glass roof double glazed?

Is convection or oil filled the best, I dont really want a fan heater.

Convection quicker and more effective, especially with fan boost for rapid
warmup.
Oil filled safer.

Both equally inefficient with the world's resources, so use sparingly and
only use devices with thermostatic control. If you have gas CH, leave the
door open into the house, as this is more efficient.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
3.5 x 3m conservatory what size electric heater will heat this room on
a winters night, it is one of those pentagon shaped conservatories.

Dwarf wall insulated YES
Double glazed
Polycarbonate roof
Polycarbonate roof double wall?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dwarf wall insulated YES
Double glazed
Polycarbonate roof
Polycarbonate roof double wall?

You shoudl get away with about 2kW, although 3kW will bring it up quicker.
Make sure it is thermostatically controlled and it is preferable to open the
internal door to get the benefit of the house central heating, assuming you
have gas or oil.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
3.5 x 3m conservatory what size electric heater will heat this room on
a winters night, it is one of those pentagon shaped conservatories.

Is convection or oil filled the best, I dont really want a fan heater.

couldn't you add a rad from the house CH ?

obviously more expensive (much cheaper if you DIY) and cost effective
in the long run.

sub £200 for a DIY number :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:

3.5 x 3m conservatory what size electric heater will heat this room on
a winters night, it is one of those pentagon shaped conservatories.

Is convection or oil filled the best, I dont really want a fan heater.

It is feasible to add another zone to your existing central heatingsystem,
and put a normal 'wet' radiator in the conservatory? Assuming you have a gas
fired system, this would be the most efficient solution.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-24 14:09:29 +0100, "Roger Mills" said:

Richard wrote:

3.5 x 3m conservatory what size electric heater will heat this room on
a winters night, it is one of those pentagon shaped conservatories.

Is convection or oil filled the best, I dont really want a fan heater.

It is feasible to add another zone to your existing central
heatingsystem, and put a normal 'wet' radiator in the conservatory?
Assuming you have a gas fired system, this would be the most efficient
solution.

This is certainly going to be less expensive to run than electric
heating in the conservatory. It is supposed to be a separate zone or
have thermostatic control valve on the radiators.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-24 14:09:29 +0100, "Roger Mills"
said:

It is feasible to add another zone to your existing central
heatingsystem, and put a normal 'wet' radiator in the conservatory?
Assuming you have a gas fired system, this would be the most
efficient solution.

This is certainly going to be less expensive to run than electric
heating in the conservatory. It is supposed to be a separate zone or
have thermostatic control valve on the radiators.

I'm not sure of the legalities but, from from a practical point of view, it
really needs to be a separate zone. If you simply have a rad on the main
circuit, with a TRV, there's no possibility of heating *just* the
conservatory.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-24 14:09:29 +0100, "Roger Mills"
said:

It is feasible to add another zone to your existing central
heatingsystem, and put a normal 'wet' radiator in the conservatory?
Assuming you have a gas fired system, this would be the most
efficient solution.

This is certainly going to be less expensive to run than electric
heating in the conservatory. It is supposed to be a separate zone or
have thermostatic control valve on the radiators.

I'm not sure of the legalities but, from from a practical point of
view, it really needs to be a separate zone. If you simply have a rad
on the main circuit, with a TRV, there's no possibility of heating
*just* the conservatory.

OK, yes, but then why would one want to heat just the conservatory?
If that were the intent, wouldn''t it also be logical to make each room
a separate zone with thermostat and timer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I'm not sure of the legalities but, from from a practical point of
view, it really needs to be a separate zone. If you simply have a rad
on the main circuit, with a TRV, there's no possibility of heating
*just* the conservatory.

OK, yes, but then why would one want to heat just the conservatory?
If that were the intent, wouldn''t it also be logical to make each
room a separate zone with thermostat and timer?

The conservatory has a much lower thermal inertia than the rest of the
house - and may well be cold when you want to use it even though everywhere
else is ok. It may also be useful to be able to specifically *not* heat the
conservatory without having to go and physically turn its radiator off. That
may be rubbish, but that was my thinking!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y