Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default had my windows done.. bargain or not ?

I've just had my windows and doors done for me, I've paid 2k for the
front and back doors and 4 windows ( 3 about 1200*1600 and 1 was about
1200*700 ) I must admit I thought this was quite a reasonable price so
only got the one quote. Another company I spoke to on the phone were
talking about £700 just for one door.. The thing is trying to work out
where the money has gone .. I reckon all the materials can't have cost
more than 1200-1400.. so three blokes get 600-800 quid for a day...
not a bad whack really is it ? They are made by Veka.. seems like a
good make, any one know ?

It's nice having it all done in one day and I'm sitting here lovely and
warm now !
--
Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
wrote:
I've just had my windows and doors done for me, I've paid 2k for the
front and back doors and 4 windows ( 3 about 1200*1600 and 1 was about
1200*700 ) I must admit I thought this was quite a reasonable price so
only got the one quote. Another company I spoke to on the phone were
talking about £700 just for one door.. The thing is trying to work out
where the money has gone .. I reckon all the materials can't have cost
more than 1200-1400.. so three blokes get 600-800 quid for a day...
not a bad whack really is it ? They are made by Veka.. seems like a
good make, any one know ?

It's nice having it all done in one day and I'm sitting here lovely and
warm now !
--
Simon

Paid £1800 for six windows and one door, fitted myself though, know
theyre done right then !!.
too many just fixed in place with foam, i've even seen some superglue
fixing heads in place to make them look anchored !!

these guys made it look so easy I would definiatly have a go at it
myself again. I learnt a few tips.. basically they seem to order
plenty small enough and fit as much trim around the edge as they
need.. no foam seen at all, but plenty of super glue for trim and very
solidly fitted frames. When I did a single window in my bedroom some
years ago I took the whole day over it and still have not got around to
repairing the plaster properly. I'm quite impressed really TBO both
with product and fitting, although I still wander who gets all that
money!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
wrote:
I've just had my windows and doors done for me, I've paid 2k for the
front and back doors and 4 windows ( 3 about 1200*1600 and 1 was about
1200*700 ) I must admit I thought this was quite a reasonable price so
only got the one quote. Another company I spoke to on the phone were
talking about £700 just for one door..

DG seems to vary between £200 and £1000 per window depending how
audacious the salesman it.

The thing is trying to work out
where the money has gone .. I reckon all the materials can't have cost
more than 1200-1400.. so three blokes get 600-800 quid for a day...
not a bad whack really is it ?

Of course the blokes don't get that, £200 per day per bod billing rate
is far from high for tradesmen taking into account business operating
expenses.

They are made by Veka.. seems like a
good make, any one know ?

Is that the networkveka being advertised on the TV?

It's nice having it all done in one day and I'm sitting here lovely and
warm now !

Oh good.

Do you have an insurance-backed guarantee with a receipt for the premium?

They are veka but I don't think network Veka aproved. There are a
number of companies invovled it seems; Veka just extrude the plastic
'profile' from what I can make out. Consort windows in nottingham
actually built the frames and then a local company ( Artisan Glass )
make the Insulated Glass units ( which have to be Low E. now ). Then
there are the installers and as you say the insurance company who offer
the gaurentee ( should be a form coming in the post ) Finally Fensa are
supposed to monitor occaisionally from what I understand.

I had a very bad experience with a DG salesman once, I almost kicked
the git out the door. I would happilly pay some extra to this guy
since he was so obviously 'not a salesman' The same chap did the quote,
the survey and the fitting. So far as quality goes they seem fine, the
doors seem to have quite a bit a weight to them. Also I guess they are
as secure as any modern window, the glass being the weakest link. From
looking on the web the toughened glass (which the doors have to be) is
even less secure, since it'll smash into lots of little pieces and
leave a smooth opening. From the other posters story maybe I should
have haggled, but I guess it was ok in the end. Now what about that
boiler...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I want a new pair of French Doors. Been quoted from £1,200 to £1,500. Could
have a set made for £500 to install myself (hardly rocket science) but I
wouldn't get the certificate that would eventually be needed if I sell the
house - which would confirm it is made from the right glass.

Daft ain't it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've just had my windows and doors done for me, I've paid 2k for the
front and back doors and 4 windows ( 3 about 1200*1600 and 1 was about
1200*700 ) I must admit I thought this was quite a reasonable price so
only got the one quote. Another company I spoke to on the phone were
talking about £700 just for one door.. The thing is trying to work out
where the money has gone .. I reckon all the materials can't have cost
more than 1200-1400.. so three blokes get 600-800 quid for a day...
not a bad whack really is it ? They are made by Veka.. seems like a
good make, any one know ?

It's nice having it all done in one day and I'm sitting here lovely and
warm now !
--
Simon

If the fitters have done a good job and the windows and doors are good
quality then I think you got a good deal. In my experience the fitters
usually get about £100 each a day gross, so about £65 a day after tax, NICs
etcetera.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:04:12 +0000, John wrote:

I want a new pair of French Doors. Been quoted from £1,200 to £1,500. Could
have a set made for £500 to install myself (hardly rocket science) but I
wouldn't get the certificate that would eventually be needed if I sell the
house - which would confirm it is made from the right glass.

Daft ain't it.

Looks like there is enough saving to be worth splashing out on a building
control notice and they can give you your certificate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:04:12 +0000, John wrote:

I want a new pair of French Doors. Been quoted from £1,200 to £1,500. Could
have a set made for £500 to install myself (hardly rocket science) but I
wouldn't get the certificate that would eventually be needed if I sell the
house - which would confirm it is made from the right glass.

Daft ain't it.

Looks like there is enough saving to be worth splashing out on a building
control notice and they can give you your certificate.

Building control notice for fitting windows !!! its bloody crazy
really, two fixings per side and a bit of good ol foam, and jobs a good
un !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:04:12 +0000, John wrote:

I want a new pair of French Doors. Been quoted from £1,200 to £1,500. Could
have a set made for £500 to install myself (hardly rocket science) but I
wouldn't get the certificate that would eventually be needed if I sell the
house - which would confirm it is made from the right glass.

Daft ain't it.

Looks like there is enough saving to be worth splashing out on a building
control notice and they can give you your certificate.

Building control notice for fitting windows !!! its bloody crazy
really, two fixings per side and a bit of good ol foam, and jobs a good
un !

The authorities couldn't care less how well fitted they are as long as
the glass meets current regulations. £100 to verify that is just a local
tax really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Staffbull wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:04:12 +0000, John wrote:

I want a new pair of French Doors. Been quoted from £1,200 to £1,500. Could
have a set made for £500 to install myself (hardly rocket science) but I
wouldn't get the certificate that would eventually be needed if I sell the
house - which would confirm it is made from the right glass.

Daft ain't it.
Looks like there is enough saving to be worth splashing out on a building
control notice and they can give you your certificate.

Building control notice for fitting windows !!! its bloody crazy
really, two fixings per side and a bit of good ol foam, and jobs a good
un !

The authorities couldn't care less how well fitted they are as long as
the glass meets current regulations. £100 to verify that is just a local
tax really.

I just left the K glass stickers on mine and poited it out to the BCO
when he inspected first fix :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paid £1800 for six windows and one door, fitted myself though, know
theyre done right then !!.
too many just fixed in place with foam, i've even seen some superglue
fixing heads in place to make them look anchored !!

need.. no foam seen at all, but plenty of super glue for trim and very
solidly fitted frames.

Actually, you should have seen foam. The gaps between the frames and the
wall MUST be filled with foam. The lamentation of the previous poster was
that ONLY foam was used without bolts. The correct technique is to use both
(whilst being careful not to distort the frame with the bolts).

If you don't have the gaps filled with foam, get the installers back. This
is for energy efficiency reasons. Having a large air filled gap will produce
large amounts of cold bridging, which will reduce comfort in the room and
increase heating costs and carbon dioxide emissions.

Christian.