Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Default FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how. (V.16)

X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-I-Y newsgroup for new and
experienced Do-It-Yourselfers in the United Kingdom. If you want help,
or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the
professionals' you are welcome to 'pick our brains'.

There is a good chance your query, or a very similar one, has already
been discussed and answered by the group, so please have a look at the
Google uk.d-i-y archive, and our companion website for Frequently Asked
Questions (the FAQ) before posting a question here.

The Google uk.d-i-y archive is available for searching at
http://tinyurl.com/65kwq and the UK.D-I-Y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

The FAQ website gives background information about a diverse range of
DIY topics, and guidance on formulating questions to post here that will
most easily get the answers you need. For example, you should explain
the background to the problem as well as asking your question.

The FAQ includes detailed information on common DIY problems in areas
such as central heating, plumbing, electrical, decorating, security,
plastering, and tools. It also has a reference section pointing to other
useful sites and companies.

You should be aware that although replies in most cases are perfectly
accurate and sensible, there are occasions when someone posts an
inappropriate answer. In this case one of the regulars is very likely to
post a correction, so it is always a good idea to check back later.

The FAQ makes clear that commercial advertising in the group is NOT
welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to
be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. However, replies to
specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying
are acceptable. There is more information on commercial participation in
the FAQ.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-

I went to this site. Got a virus.

Be warned!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In message . com, Chas
writes

Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-

I went to this site. Got a virus.

Be warned!

It was prolly the pron site you visited before

there is no virus

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On 17 Oct 2006 13:28:43 -0700, "Chas"
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-

I went to this site. Got a virus.

Be warned!

Abuse mailbox. Please use generously

abuse-mailbox:

Query the RIPE Database
Search for

Switch to the RIPE TEST Database

% This is the RIPE Whois query server #2.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% Note: the default output of the RIPE Whois server
% is changed. Your tools may need to be adjusted. See
%
http://www.ripe.net/db/news/abuse-pr...-20050331.html
% for more details.
%
% Rights restricted by copyright.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/copyright.html
% Note: This output has been filtered.
% To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag
% Information related to '88.104.0.0 - 88.107.255.255'
inetnum: 88.104.0.0 - 88.107.255.255
netname: DSL-TISCALI-UK
descr: Tiscali UK Ltd
descr: Milton Keynes
descr: Dynamic DSL
descr: ================================================== ========
descr: Concerning abuse and spam ... mailto:

descr: e-mail to other addresses will not be dealt with.
descr: ================================================== ========
country: GB
admin-c: TU935-RIPE
tech-c: TU935-RIPE
status: ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by: TU935-RIPE-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered
role: Tiscali UK
address: Tiscali UK Limited
address: 20 Broadwick Street
address: London W1F 8HT
phone: +44 207 087 2000
remarks: Information:
http://www.tiscali.com
admin-c: DC-RIPE
admin-c: DG9105-RIPE
tech-c: DC-RIPE
nic-hdl: TU935-RIPE
remarks: Hostmaster Role Account
mnt-by: TU935-RIPE-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered
abuse-mailbox:

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In message , EricP
writes
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-

I went to this site. Got a virus.

Be warned!

Abuse mailbox. Please use generously

[snip]

I see no abuse. You might not like what was written, but that doesn't
necessarily make it an abuse of any usenet guidelines, ISP t&c's,
netiquette etc?

You could argue about the masked email address, but to be honest how
many people on usenet do exactly that? ... many if not most?

On the other hand, and IMHO your actions pointing x hundred people at
an abuse contact for the posters ISP, could easily be considered
malicious or even harassment - it could possibly have a real world
effect on their account or connectivity. It might be argued that is as
much if not more reason for an abuse report?

I won't post your ISP's abuse contact, anyone with half a brain doing a
blueyonder lookup at dnsstuff.com or somesuch could find it *if* they
really felt strongly enough that they *needed* it. Putting the abuse
contact in front of the world however just invites further malicious or
even unconsidered abuse reports.

[long aside follows]
I actually support Phil's posting of the FAQ and the linked site. FFS
someone is paying for the registration and the hosting, well done to
Phil, the contributors and anyone else involved in it.

Our somewhat porky[1] colleague highlights what I think is a reasonable
point though, what if (sorry Phil[2], I know you wouldn't but bear with
me) decided to start including "B&Q are *******" in the FAQ? Is it
right, is it fair? Is there any control? Any democratic vote etc etc
(legal opinions of libel aside please!). There is no charter for
uk.d-i-y, it's basically a free for all as things currently stand.

That, I think, is where our porky friend has the issue, I can't say I
agree with how he's going about it, but I can't say I disagree with his
general view.

We've got someone suggesting a moderated group at the moment, but I
don't see them getting flamed/abused off usenet.

P.S. If it did ever go to charter/vote, Phil would get my vote anyway
:-)

[1] We all know where pork comes from, the same place as bacon
[2] Sorry Phil, never met you, very presumptuous of me to call you Phil
[/long aside]

Finally, to save anyone the lookup, you can report me to the usual
suspects at ntlworld.com if you find you don't like what I've written.

Sincere Regards to all, including EricP, Porky and Phil :-)
Someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:59:39 GMT, somebody
wrote:

In message , EricP
writes
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-

I went to this site. Got a virus.

Be warned!

Abuse mailbox. Please use generously

[snip]

Oh hello. )

You have been quiet for a while )

I see no abuse. You might not like what was written, but that doesn't
necessarily make it an abuse of any usenet guidelines, ISP t&c's,
netiquette etc?

I think Tiscali can make up their own minds thanks.

You could argue about the masked email address, but to be honest how
many people on usenet do exactly that? ... many if not most?

On the other hand, and IMHO your actions pointing x hundred people at
an abuse contact for the posters ISP, could easily be considered
malicious or even harassment - it could possibly have a real world
effect on their account or connectivity. It might be argued that is as
much if not more reason for an abuse report?

I didn't think you were simple minded, but I have been mistaken
before. (

I won't post your ISP's abuse contact, anyone with half a brain doing a
blueyonder lookup at dnsstuff.com or somesuch could find it *if* they
really felt strongly enough that they *needed* it. Putting the abuse
contact in front of the world however just invites further malicious or
even unconsidered abuse reports.

You don't know much about Usenet do you?
My abuse address goes with every post I make, and it's exactly the
same address as you own goodself, mine just has to redirect, while
yours goes direct.

[long aside follows]

(Snipped)
(sorry)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article , EricP
writes
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-

I went to this site. Got a virus.

Be warned!

Abuse mailbox. Please use generously
abuse-mailbox:

Thanks, abuse report sent.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In message , EricP
writes
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:59:39 GMT, somebody
wrote:

In message , EricP
writes
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-

I went to this site. Got a virus.

Be warned!

Abuse mailbox. Please use generously

[snip]

Oh hello. )

You have been quiet for a while )

[snip]

I didn't think you were simple minded, but I have been mistaken
before. (

[snip]

I do enjoy the occasional reasoned debate - even with those who I
disagree. Those debates which employ mutual respect even whilst
diametrically opposed and without resorting to insults, can be both
thought provoking and enlightening. Quite predictably though, your post
indicates you're not planning on too much of that.

Oh well. I'll leave you with your credentials as a thoughtful debater
and thinker intact.

plonk.

Regards
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:11:35 GMT, somebody
wrote:

In message , EricP
writes
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:59:39 GMT, somebody
wrote:

In message , EricP
writes
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
[...]

plank

Regards

)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

I went to this site looking for advice and came away with a virus

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In message . com, Chas
writes

Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

I went to this site looking for advice and came away with a virus

Strange that nobody else did

.... and strange that you keep recycling the same line

strangest still that you never actually ask a real question in the
newsgroup
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Chas wrote:
Phil Addison wrote:
X-No-Archive
[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

I went to this site looking for advice and came away with a virus

Happens to me every time I see my GP.
Unhealthy places, surgeries.