Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default These drill bits are worth the money from Aldi.

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 19:16:53 +0100, Guy King said:

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Well he did say they were worth the money....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Regardless of what it says they're are sharp as hell and make a neat hole
in plexiglass and sheet metal.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 19:16:53 +0100, Guy King said:

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Well he did say they were worth the money....

Someone tie MrHall up and dump him in Aldi somtime?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 19:16:53 +0100, Guy King said:

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Well he did say they were worth the money....

Someone tie MrHall up and dump him in Aldi somtime?

Now that would be cruel and unusual punishment, or whatever the Merkins
call it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 19:28:25 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

On 2006-10-14 19:16:53 +0100, Guy King said:

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Well he did say they were worth the money....

Someone tie MrHall up and dump him in Aldi somtime?

Now that would be cruel and unusual punishment, or whatever the
Merkins call it.

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it and if
you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat Aldis pork pies.
:-(*)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it and if
you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat Aldis pork pies.
:-(*)

But that would mean having to go to Aldi. This is not something anyone
would want to do.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 19:28:25 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

On 2006-10-14 19:16:53 +0100, Guy King said:

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Well he did say they were worth the money....

Someone tie MrHall up and dump him in Aldi somtime?

Now that would be cruel and unusual punishment, or whatever the
Merkins call it.

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it and if
you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat Aldis pork pies.
:-(*)

The trouble is that it would cost me at least 10 x that to go to the
nearest one.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Guy King wrote:
The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Regardless of what it says they're are sharp as hell and make a neat hole
in plexiglass and sheet metal.

Sorry, that's just not good enough. Have you done a full cost/benefit
analysis? Have you taken into account the distress caused by visiting an
Aldi store? Loss of self esteem can endanger your mental health, which
could increase your medical insurance premiums. There are many factors
to take into account when making a buying decision, and I fear you may
have overlooked many of them on this occasion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 20:00:51 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

On 2006-10-14 19:28:25 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

On 2006-10-14 19:16:53 +0100, Guy King
said:

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like
they're titanium coated.

Well he did say they were worth the money....

Someone tie MrHall up and dump him in Aldi somtime?

Now that would be cruel and unusual punishment, or whatever the
Merkins call it.

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it
and if you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat
Aldis pork pies. :-(*)

The trouble is that it would cost me at least 10 x that to go to the
nearest one.....

Then I suggest you dump the Roller and buy a Mini

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it
and if you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat
Aldis pork pies. :-(*)

But that would mean having to go to Aldi. This is not something anyone
would want to do.

Now we need two lenghts of rope.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall
writes

On 2006-10-14 19:28:25 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

On 2006-10-14 19:16:53 +0100, Guy King said:

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Well he did say they were worth the money....

Someone tie MrHall up and dump him in Aldi somtime?

Now that would be cruel and unusual punishment, or whatever the
Merkins call it.

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it and if
you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat Aldis pork pies.
:-(*)

The trouble is that it would cost me at least 10 x that to go to the
nearest one.....

You appear to be making the mistake of applying logic to the argument of
a rabid bargain hunter, expect a reply with 'but I enjoy the trip' or summut.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 20:10:07 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:
:

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it
and if you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat
Aldis pork pies. :-(*)

The trouble is that it would cost me at least 10 x that to go to the
nearest one.....

Then I suggest you dump the Roller and buy a Mini

That would be at Mini costs and before taking time into account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 20:11:20 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

Grunff wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it
and if you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat
Aldis pork pies. :-(*)

But that would mean having to go to Aldi. This is not something anyone
would want to do.

Now we need two lenghts of rope.

TMH does the magic tricks around here.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Guy King wrote:
The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html
"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Regardless of what it says they're are sharp as hell and make a neat hole
in plexiglass and sheet metal.

Sorry, that's just not good enough. Have you done a full cost/benefit
analysis? Have you taken into account the distress caused by visiting an
Aldi store? Loss of self esteem can endanger your mental health, which
could increase your medical insurance premiums.

How do you know?

You must have experience to say that - why did you visit an Aldi store?

I don't mind it.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
I bought two boxes last time.

And did they last and stay sharp?

Alan

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Regardless of what it says they're are sharp as hell and make a neat hole
in plexiglass and sheet metal.

What on earth is 'plexiglass'?

Alan

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. net...

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Guy King wrote:
The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html
"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Regardless of what it says they're are sharp as hell and make a neat
hole
in plexiglass and sheet metal.

Sorry, that's just not good enough. Have you done a full cost/benefit
analysis? Have you taken into account the distress caused by visiting an
Aldi store? Loss of self esteem can endanger your mental health, which
could increase your medical insurance premiums.

How do you know?

You must have experience to say that - why did you visit an Aldi store?

I don't mind it.

Well we all know you are as tough as old boots!(:-)

Alan

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 19:28:25 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

On 2006-10-14 19:16:53 +0100, Guy King said:

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Well he did say they were worth the money....

Someone tie MrHall up and dump him in Aldi somtime?

Now that would be cruel and unusual punishment, or whatever the
Merkins call it.

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it and if
you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat Aldis pork pies.
:-(*)

At 12.5 pence per drill, you will get what you pay for.

I am something of an expert on metal drills and the quality you will get
at that price, I would not expect them to drill much more than aluminium.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Holmes wrote:

What on earth is 'plexiglass'?

It's what Merkins call Perspex.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

What on earth is 'plexiglass'?

A tradename for polymethyl methacrylate, best known by one of its other
tradenames, Perspex.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Guy King
writes
The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Tin = Typo* for TiN, titanium nitride.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride

(* or automatic capitalization correction kicked in)
--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Guy King
writes
The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I bought two boxes last time.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/sunday_...duct_4214.html

"Tin coated". I notice they're trying to make it look like they're
titanium coated.

Looks like cheap crap to me

... sandblasted masonry drills ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-14 20:11:20 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
said:
Grunff wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of
it and if you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat
Aldis pork pies. :-(*)

But that would mean having to go to Aldi. This is not something
anyone would want to do.

Now we need two lenghts of rope.

TMH does the magic tricks around here.....

Hard discounters like Aldi & Lidl have about 11% of the food retail market
in Europe compared to around 3% in the UK. Reatil analists put this down to
two things - they won't waste money on expensive advertising & PR to boost
their image - but the image they have doesn't appeal to class conscious
Brits.

Why does a top brand carbide tipped masonry drill sell for £3+? Because it
has Bosch on the packet? It can't cost more than 20p to make one.

And yes - I do restore cut rope.............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I bought two boxes last time.

They also have some angle grinders discs inc diamond and some SDS bits I'll
be having a look at.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

They also have some angle grinders discs inc diamond and some SDS bits I'll
be having a look at.

I bought several of their diamond discs, but all but two are still in
the packet - they seem to last very well.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Holmes wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
I bought two boxes last time.

And did they last and stay sharp?

Funny you should say that...

....Yes

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 579255 20061014 233438 "The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Hard discounters like Aldi & Lidl have about 11% of the food retail market
in Europe compared to around 3% in the UK. Reatil analists put this down to
two things - they won't waste money on expensive advertising & PR to boost
their image - but the image they have doesn't appeal to class conscious
Brits.

Not just class consciousness, it's also chauvinism - especially anti-German.
I often shop in our local Lidl and I'm amazed at some of the remarks I overhear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:

Not just class consciousness, it's also chauvinism - especially anti-German.
I often shop in our local Lidl and I'm amazed at some of the remarks I overhear.

!!

But don't you see the irony of your statement? Those remarks are being
made by those who *do* shop at Lidl. I don't shop at Lidl, and am
extremely unlikely to be heard making anti-German remarks.

I've been into both a Lidl and an Aldi, and found nothing there that I'd
want to buy. So I chose to never go back in there, and continued to shop
at Waitrose or Sainsburys.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 08:40:43 +0100, Grunff wrote:

|Bob Martin wrote:
|
| Not just class consciousness, it's also chauvinism - especially anti-German.
| I often shop in our local Lidl and I'm amazed at some of the remarks I overhear.
|
|!!
|
|But don't you see the irony of your statement? Those remarks are being
|made by those who *do* shop at Lidl. I don't shop at Lidl, and am
|extremely unlikely to be heard making anti-German remarks.
|
|I've been into both a Lidl and an Aldi, and found nothing there that I'd
|want to buy. So I chose to never go back in there, and continued to shop
|at Waitrose or Sainsburys.

Now if I could afford Waitrose and Sainsburys prices :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Now if I could afford Waitrose and Sainsburys prices :-(

For the kind of things we buy, we've found very little price difference
between Waitrose, Sainsburys and Tesco. The shop total is usually about
the same, with less than say 10% variaton.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:24:15 +0100, Grunff wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| Now if I could afford Waitrose and Sainsburys prices :-(
|

|For the kind of things we buy, we've found very little price difference
|between Waitrose, Sainsburys and Tesco. The shop total is usually about
|the same, with less than say 10% variaton.

Lidl and Aldi are IME significantly cheaper and in many cases of equal
quality, or at least better value for money.

On Tuesdays we go first to Lidl for basic items, then 200 yds up the road
to Morrisons for other things, then down to Haqs for Yoghurt and other
Ethnic things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 579292 20061015 084043 Grunff wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:

Not just class consciousness, it's also chauvinism - especially anti-German.
I often shop in our local Lidl and I'm amazed at some of the remarks I overhear.

!!

But don't you see the irony of your statement? Those remarks are being
made by those who *do* shop at Lidl. I don't shop at Lidl, and am
extremely unlikely to be heard making anti-German remarks.

Strange way of looking at it. Some people will go anywhere for low prices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message k
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

They also have some angle grinders discs inc diamond and some SDS
bits I'll
be having a look at.

I bought several of their diamond discs, but all but two are still in
the packet - they seem to last very well.

Now come on, Guy, you should be buying them from Asprey's - you get what
you pay for, you know, and you meet a far higher class of criminals,
pimps and drug dealers in Bond Street than you do in wherever these
frightful Aldliddo so-called shops are.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it and if
you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat Aldis pork pies.
:-(*)

At 12.5 pence per drill, you will get what you pay for.

I am something of an expert on metal drills and the quality you will get
at that price, I would not expect them to drill much more than aluminium.

Then you'd be wrong. I bought a set from Aldi branded Powerfix as is much
of their stuff. All the 0.5mm steps from 1-10mm in a decent steel pop up
box for about a fiver. To be honest I'd have paid that for the box alone -
very useful for carrying drills around as I often seem to do.

The drills are 'titanium look' and I expected little of them. In fact
they're at least the equal of the major shed brands like Bosch or B&D. And
they've had a lot of use recently mainly in steel. Nor are they
particularly brittle - I've been using them for drilling holes in the car,
a common place to break the smaller sizes.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:43:32 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Lidl and Aldi are IME significantly cheaper and in many cases of equal
quality, or at least better value for money.

Umm no.

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/script...o=item&p_id=51

The only way one could describe "food" bought in these supermarkets as
"better value for money" is if one is prepared any old ****e as long as
it's cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Now if I could afford Waitrose and Sainsburys prices :-(

For the kind of things we buy, we've found very little price difference
between Waitrose, Sainsburys and Tesco. The shop total is usually about
the same, with less than say 10% variaton.

Agreed sainsbury tesco and asda similar prices but round here waitrose is
significantly more expensive - much more than
10pc
aldi and lidl ok but neither have enough variety of stock for a week's shop

my local aldi does tend to attract rather dodgy characters - especially when
it is offering
crowbars and bolt-cutters on the weekly special

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Well its either that or go and spend 1.99GBP just for the hell of it
and if you think they're crap,I'll forfiet the 1.99 and I'll eat
Aldis pork pies. :-(*)

But that would mean having to go to Aldi. This is not something anyone
would want to do.

Nothing wrong with the Aldi in Ramsgate; they stock some really good quality
food and wine there and it's usually quiet. Netto, on the other hand, should
hand out free deodorant and valium at the door.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DMac wrote:
Agreed sainsbury tesco and asda similar prices but round here waitrose
is significantly more expensive - much more than 10pc aldi and lidl ok
but neither have enough variety of stock for a week's shop

If worried about value, why use just the one shop?

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Drill bits Charlie S. Home Repair 9 March 16th 06 12:01 PM
Titanium Forstner drill bits doesn't drill Fred Woodworking 18 September 4th 05 09:45 PM
Drill bits with a Router -- is it possible? Carlos Moreno Woodworking 19 October 19th 04 08:21 PM
Drill driver (screwdriver) bits Eugene Woodworking 15 August 22nd 04 08:56 PM
Bosch 1617EVSPK -- 1/4 or 1/2 bits? Leon Woodworking 3 June 2nd 04 07:36 PM