Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buried Electrical connections

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 22:45:14 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

What sort of cable did you use?

The correct sort sold for lighting and ring mains.

Umm that would be two different types of cable.

That is correct, lighting needs a smaller size cable than the ring mains, or
electric cooker connections.

Didn't you know there are different sizes of cable for different purposes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:25:20 +0100, Steve Firth
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 22:45:14 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

What sort of cable did you use?

The correct sort sold for lighting and ring mains.

Umm that would be two different types of cable.

He used the proper 4.75mm for the lights and the correct 9.853mm for
the ring!

Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 22:46:21 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

I would not like to take the risk of crimping mains cable, I would use a
proper juction box.

Then you are a ****wit.

Oh hang on it's Holmes. Everyone knows that you are a ****wit.

Just trying to follow your example!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:

Take your pick:

Cut out section of plaster round damaged wire, cut out and replace
damaged section by crimping in new bit of wire, test, and make good.

I would not like to take the risk of crimping mains cable, I would use a
proper juction box.

If the joint is to be inaccessable then that that would be prohibited by
the regs:

[526-04-01] "Except for the following, every connection and joint shall be
accessable for inspection, testing and maintenance

(i) a compound-filled or encapsulated joint
(ii) a connection between a cold tail and a heating element (e.g. a
ceiling and floor heating system, a pipe trace heating system
(iii) a joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or compression tool
(iv) a joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate
product standard"

Move furniture, lift carpets, lift floor, disconnect wiring at accessory,
attempt to pull old cable from conduit, while pulling through new wire,
reterminate at accessory. test, relay floor, carpet, shift furniture.

Which would not be neccessary if the cable had continuos and been
installed in conduit as there would not have been the risk of a short
circuit.

There will be when you stick a nail through it.

I think you would find it rathe difficult to drive a nail through a metal
conduit.

The normal way of installing conduit is to cut a trough in the wall deep
enough to take the conduit and then plastered over.

Try that on a lath and plaster wall.

It would not be neccessary on a lathe and plaster wall as the cable could
be suspended in the gap between the sides.

Also depricated, and a bit trickey when you need to cross the studs.

Then locte the studs and drill a hole through them!

Not quite sure of the deprication though, can't speak that sort of language!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I would not like to take the risk of crimping mains cable, I would use a
proper juction box.

That might be a mistake. Apart from not complying with the current regs
if the box is inaccessible, it's also just silly because crimps are more
reliable than screws in a junction box. You might notice that the sort
of power cables that run underground into substation are crimped
together, not done with screw terminals.

In my day they were always soldered!

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Holmes wrote:

There will be when you stick a nail through it.

I think you would find it rathe difficult to drive a nail through a metal
conduit.

Metal conduit these days is rather thin and weedy - quite easy to pierce
with a nail - especially when nicely supported in plaster. (in much the
same way as it is easy to nail through a pipe). With the more commonly
used plastic conduit, you probably would not even notice it was there.

It would not be neccessary on a lathe and plaster wall as the cable could
be suspended in the gap between the sides.

Also depricated, and a bit trickey when you need to cross the studs.

Then locte the studs and drill a hole through them!

Tricky thing to do once the wall is built.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 16:00:51 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

There will be when you stick a nail through it.

I think you would find it rathe difficult to drive a nail through a metal
conduit.

Well if you ate your breakfast rather than spend all your time in here
wittering then you too might have the strength to hammer a nail
through conduit.

There is also the lazy agresssive approach

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-330804/i...-nail-gun.html

cost of electrical service upgrade S C Holt Home Ownership 8 October 17th 06 06:31 AM
Electrical: making rainproof conduit connections Wayne Whitney Home Repair 2 September 9th 06 08:31 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Installing Ceiling Fan with Red wire on electrical box. Josh Home Repair 20 July 31st 03 11:53 AM
Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P) Andrew McKay UK diy 42 July 30th 03 08:05 AM