Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

Default Waking up every day with insect bites on my legs

On 2006-10-09 20:57:52 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
said:

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

I tried an aerosol treatment

I thought you said they were mostly round your ankles.

You nicked that from my Swedish chemist joke.

Sorry, mate, it was too good a shot to miss.

I don't understand ...

Mary

Man goes into chemist in Sweden and asks to buy some deodorant.

Chemist: "Would you like ball or aerosol?"

Man: "Neither. I want it for under my arms"

Man goes into chemist and says...

Him: do you have any featherlite condoms.
Assistant: sorry we are sold out...have you tried boots?
Him: I want to slide up not march up.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

My mum used to put a (lit) nightlight in a saucer of water. The theory was
that the fleas jumped towards the heat and drowned.

We never had fleas as children so perhaps it did work.

Mary

That's supposed to keep elephants away as well..Did you see any .???

Only the ones which drowned in the saucer.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 21:01:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

We never had fleas as children so perhaps it did work.

Mary

That must of baffled the medical proffession.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I tried an aerosol treatment

I thought you said they were mostly round your ankles.

You nicked that from my Swedish chemist joke.

Sorry, mate, it was too good a shot to miss.

I don't understand ...

He said he treated his aerosol and I said I thought the fleas were
biting his ankles.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

On 2006-10-09 22:20:06 +0100, Guy King said:

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I tried an aerosol treatment

I thought you said they were mostly round your ankles.

You nicked that from my Swedish chemist joke.

Sorry, mate, it was too good a shot to miss.

I don't understand ...

He said he treated his aerosol and I said I thought the fleas were
biting his ankles.

It's no good if you have to spell them out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 21:01:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

We never had fleas as children so perhaps it did work.

Mary

That must of baffled the medical proffession.

Only those in Yorkshire

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

In message , Guy King
writes
The message . com
from contains these words:

I tried an aerosol treatment

I thought you said they were mostly round your ankles.

Guy ... the Broseley working mens club calls you

boom boom

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

In message , John of Aix
writes
wrote:
I rent in Central London

I leave the window open (always - for ventilation)

Very wise, but this being so I'm a little worried about global warming
as I find it difficult to imagine that one could sleep with no covering
in the UK in October. So how come you have your legs exposed? If you
don't then the problem must be in the bed itself, the mattress probably.

Well, I'm still sleeping without any bed covers

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
This sounds like the mostly likely situation.

I took over tenancy of this room in June. I don't have any pets.

Can anyone recommend any UK products/shops? I need to nuke any fleas in
the mattress/carpet etc.

I've used pyrethrum dust successfully. You can usually get that in garden
centres.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" typed

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
When visiting cat left fleas at my parents' abode, Mum was pregnant and
didn't want to use any chemicals.

Someone advised the family to apply vegetable oil to the ankles to stop
the fleas getting any foothold. This seemed to work.

Good idea.

You can catch bugs and fleas if you can see them with a wet bar of soap.

Mary

I need spectacles to see; I don't think a wet bar of soap would help ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:29:41 GMT, "Phil L" wrote:

Stuart wrote:

snipped .

I take it ,by the fact that you havent't mentioned it,that you don't
have a cat .Has there ever been a cat in the flat ..Flea eggs can
rest dormant in carpets and behind skirtings until CH gets switched
on during cooler times and they then come alive and can bite like
buggery .

Stuart .

You: ' win' [the] prize , for ; the...'most' .misplace .d . punctuation,
in. one ; scentence .

:-p

What ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

raden wrote in :

In message , John of Aix
writes
wrote:
I rent in Central London

I leave the window open (always - for ventilation)

Very wise, but this being so I'm a little worried about global warming
as I find it difficult to imagine that one could sleep with no covering
in the UK in October. So how come you have your legs exposed? If you
don't then the problem must be in the bed itself, the mattress probably.

Well, I'm still sleeping without any bed covers

Ditto. And no heating.

There again, the house is double-glazed and I got the attic insulated
earlier in the year.

Don't open the windows though as I tend to get bitten all over by mosquitos
- the neighbour has a pond in her garden and if you leave the window open
with the light on, the room is full of the ******* things all squeaking
away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I tried an aerosol treatment

I thought you said they were mostly round your ankles.

You nicked that from my Swedish chemist joke.

Sorry, mate, it was too good a shot to miss.

I don't understand ...

He said he treated his aerosol and I said I thought the fleas were
biting his ankles.

Oh.

Doh!

Getting slow in my dotage!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message

(Your protasis is amphibolic.)

Interpretation, please?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
This sounds like the mostly likely situation.

I took over tenancy of this room in June. I don't have any pets.

Can anyone recommend any UK products/shops? I need to nuke any fleas in
the mattress/carpet etc.

I've used pyrethrum dust successfully. You can usually get that in garden
centres.

Ditto, house we rented in London was deceased estate and the old biddy
had cats, we walked in, vibration woke up fleas and we got bitten to
bits. Had to do the whole house. On the bright side if it is cat fleas
they need cats to breed so eventually they will go away without
treatment, but still...

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

. ruk...

wrote in message
oups.com...
This sounds like the mostly likely situation.

I took over tenancy of this room in June. I don't have any pets.

Can anyone recommend any UK products/shops? I need to nuke any fleas in
the mattress/carpet etc.

I've used pyrethrum dust successfully. You can usually get that in garden
centres.

Ditto, house we rented in London was deceased estate and the old biddy
had cats, we walked in, vibration woke up fleas and we got bitten to
bits. Had to do the whole house. On the bright side if it is cat fleas
they need cats to breed so eventually they will go away without
treatment, but still...

A pest control officer once told me that if a house had been empty for some
time they'd throw some large stones through the door. The vibration caused
the adult fleas to emerge but there was nothing for them to feed on so they
died. The process was repeated in each room, without their entering.

Interesting - but no solution to the OP's problem :-)

Mary

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
(Your protasis

The subordinate clause or condition in a conditional sentence

is amphibolic.)

is so expressed as to admit of two grammatical constructions each yielding
a different sense.

I'll remember that!

Rather, I hope I remember that!

Thanks, it could come in very useful :-)

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Phil L" wrote
You: ' win' [the] prize , for ; the...'most' .misplace .d . punctuation,
in. one ; scentence .

Scentence???
The biter bit!

Does the biter bit bit a bit of bitter bile?

Or even does the biter bit bite a bit of bitter bile?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

"John of Aix" wrote in message

You are Roy of the Rovers AICMF

Bloody hell

first Tomorrows World and now the Beano

memory lane is becoming a well worn track

You sure it was the Beano? I don't think so, some middle class comic that
cost an expensive tuppence called Flash or Boys Own or some other macho
name. Bunty perhaps [Ed: some mistake surely?]

Bunty was a girls' paper and later than Roy of the Rovers. ISTR Roy of the
Rovers WAS the comic as well as the hero of one of the tales.

Memory Lane obviously is an overgrown track for some :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

Mary Fisher wrote:
"John of Aix" wrote in message

You are Roy of the Rovers AICMF

Bloody hell

first Tomorrows World and now the Beano

memory lane is becoming a well worn track

You sure it was the Beano? I don't think so, some middle class comic
that cost an expensive tuppence called Flash or Boys Own or some
other macho name. Bunty perhaps [Ed: some mistake surely?]

Bunty was a girls' paper

I know, I was kidding. My younger sisters used to buy it, the eldest
went for Valentine I believe.

and later than Roy of the Rovers. ISTR Roy
of the Rovers WAS the comic as well as the hero of one of the tales.

So it seems from the next post

Memory Lane obviously is an overgrown track for some :-)

Overgrown is an understatement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.london

"John of Aix" wrote in message

Memory Lane obviously is an overgrown track for some :-)

Overgrown is an understatement.

Just remember (if you can, I know how hard it is) that you're in the best
company :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:49:33 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
You can catch bugs and fleas if you can see them with a wet bar of soap.

A handy trick if you mislay your contact lenses.

(Your protasis is amphibolic.)

Is it really relevant mentioning that her protasis can travel on both
land and water?

Anyway it's not amphibolic, it's carbolic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
You can catch bugs and fleas if you can see them with a wet bar of soap.

A handy trick if you mislay your contact lenses.

(Your protasis is amphibolic.)

Is it really relevant mentioning that her protasis can travel on both
land and water?

Anyway it's not amphibolic, it's carbolic.

Have you been looking in our bathroom???

Mary