Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi boiler going out, but only with heating on?

Our boiler has been fine all summer, supplying hot water on demand. The last
couple of times I've switched it to heat + water though, it goes out after
around 15-30 minutes of the heating being on. I checked the pressure and it
is a bit over 1bar (the pressure valve broke earlier in the year and was
replaced by an engineer, he told me about checking the dial!).

It seems almost like it is overheating (or thinks it is). The temperature
dial (which actually seems to make no difference to anything) is on 3.5 of
1-5.

Any thoughts, or shall I just call the landlord? If it's something simple
I'm missing I'd rather tackle it myself in the evening otherwise I have to
take time off work to be in for the chappy!
It's a Worcester model (240 I think)

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:06:53 +0100, james wrote:

Our boiler has been fine all summer, supplying hot water on demand. The last
couple of times I've switched it to heat + water though, it goes out after
around 15-30 minutes of the heating being on. I checked the pressure and it
is a bit over 1bar (the pressure valve broke earlier in the year and was
replaced by an engineer, he told me about checking the dial!).

It seems almost like it is overheating (or thinks it is). The temperature
dial (which actually seems to make no difference to anything) is on 3.5 of
1-5.

Any thoughts, or shall I just call the landlord? If it's something simple
I'm missing I'd rather tackle it myself in the evening otherwise I have to
take time off work to be in for the chappy!
It's a Worcester model (240 I think)

It may be that all the rads are closed (or the TRVs stuck) and so there is
little or no flow through the boiler in only CH mode.

It is common practice for Landlords to supply workmen with keys unless the
tenant expressly forbids that. Even then that is usually out of respect
for the tenant as the 'standard' agreement usually states that the Tenant
is to allow "the Landlord or his agents" access. So there is no need for
you to take time off work. You are paying in the rent for the boiler to
be fixed so why no use the service!

DIY Combi boiler and central heating system [email protected] UK diy 14 January 30th 06 09:46 PM
Combi Boiler Stops Heating [email protected] UK diy 6 January 10th 06 01:37 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
New CH System advice. Mark Trueman UK diy 20 October 12th 04 06:29 PM
Noisy new boiler when heating water only David Hearn UK diy 8 May 20th 04 07:44 PM