Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central heating: gas won't light

My Ideal Classic NF260 boiler has stopped lighting.
I hear a couple of clicks when I turn it on,
which suggest (to me) it is trying to light,
but the flame does not come on.

Do I need to call in an expert (very expensive here),
or is there anything I can try?

Any suggestions or advice very gratefully received ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 13:32:51 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

My Ideal Classic NF260 boiler has stopped lighting.
I hear a couple of clicks when I turn it on,
which suggest (to me) it is trying to light,
but the flame does not come on.

Do I need to call in an expert (very expensive here),
or is there anything I can try?

Any suggestions or advice very gratefully received ...

Obtain/retreive the instructions.
Follow the fault finding guide.
Obtain expert help if you can't make out what's what.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
My Ideal Classic NF260 boiler has stopped lighting.
I hear a couple of clicks when I turn it on,
which suggest (to me) it is trying to light,
but the flame does not come on.

Do I need to call in an expert (very expensive here),
or is there anything I can try?

Any suggestions or advice very gratefully received ...

Is the fan working, are the clicks sparks or relays ?

you need to give some useful information to get a useful response

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

My Ideal Classic NF260 boiler has stopped lighting.
I hear a couple of clicks when I turn it on,
which suggest (to me) it is trying to light,
but the flame does not come on.

Do I need to call in an expert (very expensive here),
or is there anything I can try?

Any suggestions or advice very gratefully received ...

Obtain/retreive the instructions.
Follow the fault finding guide.
Obtain expert help if you can't make out what's what.

I don't have any instructions,
and couldn't find any on the net.
Nor could I locate a "fault finding guide".
Do you know where I can find one?

I looked through the various diy FAQs,
but didn't find anything relevant.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 13:21:59 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:

My Ideal Classic NF260 boiler has stopped lighting.
I hear a couple of clicks when I turn it on,
which suggest (to me) it is trying to light,
but the flame does not come on.

Do I need to call in an expert (very expensive here),
or is there anything I can try?

Any suggestions or advice very gratefully received ...

Obtain/retreive the instructions.
Follow the fault finding guide.
Obtain expert help if you can't make out what's what.

I don't have any instructions,
and couldn't find any on the net.
Nor could I locate a "fault finding guide".
Do you know where I can find one?

I looked through the various diy FAQs,
but didn't find anything relevant.

I've not yet got enough round tuits to write the generalized boiler fault
finding guide.

A service manual (which probably includes the fault finding guide) is
obtainable for free from the maunfactuers.