Posted to uk.d-i-y
rob rob is offline

Default eaves storage

i'm in the middle of doing up my loft conversion (artex everywhere
yuk!) and a few people say that they have storage space under their
eaves (when it gets to about 3-4 ft from floor to roof in my loft it's
just plasterboarded off and the remaining space is wasted) i like the
idea but have no idea how to go about it, i'm guessing put 2-3 doors
(cupboard doors?) in the existing plasterboard and chipboard the floor
beyond?
can anyone talk some sense into me ?
thanks
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-02 19:42:54 +0100, "rob" said:

i'm in the middle of doing up my loft conversion (artex everywhere
yuk!) and a few people say that they have storage space under their
eaves (when it gets to about 3-4 ft from floor to roof in my loft it's
just plasterboarded off and the remaining space is wasted) i like the
idea but have no idea how to go about it, i'm guessing put 2-3 doors
(cupboard doors?) in the existing plasterboard and chipboard the floor
beyond?
can anyone talk some sense into me ?
thanks
Rob

That's pretty much it.

You might want to think about door types and sizes in order to be able
to fit reasonable sized things in the space.

You may find plastic storage boxes with built in wheels helpful since
they can be rolled around on the floor.

Make sure that you don't block any ventilation at the eaves vents.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Make sure that you don't block any ventilation at the eaves vents.

But also draught-proof the doors or you'll get the wind up.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message om
from "rob" contains these words:

i'm in the middle of doing up my loft conversion (artex everywhere
yuk!) and a few people say that they have storage space under their
eaves (when it gets to about 3-4 ft from floor to roof in my loft it's
just plasterboarded off and the remaining space is wasted) i like the
idea but have no idea how to go about it, i'm guessing put 2-3 doors
(cupboard doors?) in the existing plasterboard and chipboard the floor
beyond?
can anyone talk some sense into me ?

Exactly what I did in a loft conversion. In our case the lower purlin
was of horizontal ladder construction out of 4" x 2" timber and that
served as the basis for the side walls. The uprights were suitably
spaced to provide the jambs for doors that I made up out of thin
plywood. (Too thin as it turned out, one has warped). Didn't have to
worry about eaves draft as it was already a warm roof (insulation above
the rafters).

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rob wrote:
i'm in the middle of doing up my loft conversion (artex everywhere
yuk!) and a few people say that they have storage space under their
eaves (when it gets to about 3-4 ft from floor to roof in my loft it's
just plasterboarded off and the remaining space is wasted) i like the
idea but have no idea how to go about it, i'm guessing put 2-3 doors
(cupboard doors?) in the existing plasterboard and chipboard the floor
beyond?
can anyone talk some sense into me ?
thanks
Rob

Thats about it, once the relevant roof venting and insulation is done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rob wrote:

i'm in the middle of doing up my loft conversion (artex everywhere
yuk!) and a few people say that they have storage space under their
eaves (when it gets to about 3-4 ft from floor to roof in my loft it's
just plasterboarded off and the remaining space is wasted) i like the
idea but have no idea how to go about it, i'm guessing put 2-3 doors
(cupboard doors?) in the existing plasterboard and chipboard the floor
beyond?
can anyone talk some sense into me ?
thanks
Rob

Doors all along are much easier than inaccessible sections. No need for
them to be std cupboard widths. If you want to go to town on it, add a
string of 3w cfls in there on a switch.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

You may find plastic storage boxes with built in wheels helpful since
they can be rolled around on the floor.

Make a list of all the box contents, and pin it to the inside of each
access door. (Even if you hate making lists as much as I do, you'll soon
find out why it's an absolute necessity.)

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

You may find plastic storage boxes with built in wheels helpful since
they can be rolled around on the floor.

Make a list of all the box contents, and pin it to the inside of each
access door. (Even if you hate making lists as much as I do, you'll soon
find out why it's an absolute necessity.)

this is a big help. But now I do it on computer, just number the boxes,
and the search facility plus easy editing makes it a must have. Instead
of 'i know there is one somewhere' its 'there it is' every time. Much
quicker than the pen and paper version.

NT