Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Jo is offline

Default 3-seater leather sofas

A bit of an odd question - not really a diy question, but never mind.
3-seater sofas come in 2 types - the ones with 3 seat cushions and those
with 2 wider cushions.
We have had a 3-cushioned leather sofa for 12 years and the cushion on one
end (where everyone tends to sit) has finally gone flattish on the edge
nearest the middle cushion. The middle cushion itself and other end are
fine. Still with me?
We are about to purchase a new leather suite and are contemplating the two
types, wondering if the 2-cushion types will survive the flattening effect
better.

Can anyone recommend one type over another? I know a lot of it is down to
the quality of the furniture itself (my current suite has lasted brilliantly
despite having children and cats jumping all over it at times), but surely
the widths of the cushions must make a difference.

Jo

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RCW RCW is offline

"Jo" wrote in message
A bit of an odd question - not really a diy question, but never mind.
3-seater sofas come in 2 types - the ones with 3 seat cushions and those
with 2 wider cushions.
We have had a 3-cushioned leather sofa for 12 years and the cushion on one
end (where everyone tends to sit) has finally gone flattish on the edge
nearest the middle cushion. The middle cushion itself and other end are
fine. Still with me?

Shoulda swapped them around a few times then....

We are about to purchase a new leather suite and are contemplating the two
types, wondering if the 2-cushion types will survive the flattening effect
better.

Why would they, you will probably sit in the same place on the sofa as you
feel comfortable there. The flattening will still be there courtesy of
whoever sits there the most.

Can anyone recommend one type over another? I know a lot of it is down to
the quality of the furniture itself (my current suite has lasted
brilliantly despite having children and cats jumping all over it at
times), but surely the widths of the cushions must make a difference.

A 2 cushion 3 seater makes it more uncomfortable for the poor unfortunate
person in the middle.
Then again if you don't actually have 3 people on it very much it won't
matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jo wrote:

Can anyone recommend one type over another? I know a lot of it is down to
the quality of the furniture itself (my current suite has lasted brilliantly
despite having children and cats jumping all over it at times), but surely
the widths of the cushions must make a difference.

Jo

Get one where you can change the filling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Jo is offline

"RCW" .@. wrote in message ...

"Jo" wrote in message
A bit of an odd question - not really a diy question, but never mind.
3-seater sofas come in 2 types - the ones with 3 seat cushions and those
with 2 wider cushions.
We have had a 3-cushioned leather sofa for 12 years and the cushion on
one end (where everyone tends to sit) has finally gone flattish on the
edge nearest the middle cushion. The middle cushion itself and other end
are fine. Still with me?

Shoulda swapped them around a few times then....

The cushions aren't detached!

We are about to purchase a new leather suite and are contemplating the
two types, wondering if the 2-cushion types will survive the flattening
effect better.

Why would they, you will probably sit in the same place on the sofa as you
feel comfortable there. The flattening will still be there courtesy of
whoever sits there the most.

Can anyone recommend one type over another? I know a lot of it is down to
the quality of the furniture itself (my current suite has lasted
brilliantly despite having children and cats jumping all over it at
times), but surely the widths of the cushions must make a difference.

A 2 cushion 3 seater makes it more uncomfortable for the poor unfortunate
person in the middle.
Then again if you don't actually have 3 people on it very much it won't
matter.

Nope, we never do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not sure theres an answer to this as we have recently looks at
buying a new sofa and it would appear that most (if not all) leather
suites don't have removeable cushions and therefore the one's which get
sat on the most will sag compared to the others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Jo is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jo wrote:

Can anyone recommend one type over another? I know a lot of it is down to
the quality of the furniture itself (my current suite has lasted
brilliantly
despite having children and cats jumping all over it at times), but
surely
the widths of the cushions must make a difference.

Jo

Get one where you can change the filling.

Never seen a leather sofa with changeable filling!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MB MB is offline

Change around, if you can-- which you can't if the front outside corner is
L-shaped. When you're thinking of being able to change the cushions around
on the new sofa--back to front, top to bottom--look for square-shaped when
you're shopping. Cheaper sofas--Ikea et al.--frequently have the "good"
fabric (in your case, leather) only on the top side. Look out for that,
too.

But you didn't say what the filling was. The inside life of cushions will
determine how long the cushion keeps its shape. Ikea uses "country
feathers," which I suspect are chicken feathers. I personally stay away
from any feather or down fillings since I can't bear the smell, especially
as the cushions can take on quite a gamey odor-- on moist days especially.

There are various types of foam cushions, and the best kinds are expensive:
on sofas these are usually formed; loose foam remnants in a cushion shout
cheap-o. Foam, even the expensive kind, can get crumbly, just like foam
mattresses. We bought an expensive bed-sofa in 1970, covered with a sturdy
fabric; over 2 meters long, it has a one-piece seat surface and three flat
back cushions. The cushions are at the crumbly stage by now, but the seat
and arm rests are still very good. I cover it with white Ikea cotton throws
and exchange the one on the seating surface weekly (I have three Dandies).