Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building regs re internal height of shower cubicle?

Does anyone know if the building regs have any rulings about the
internal height of a shower cubicle?

Thank you,

Drake
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drake wrote:
Does anyone know if the building regs have any rulings about the
internal height of a shower cubicle?

Thank you,

Drake

Not that I am aware of.

I think its simply 'ultra vires' as far as the regs go,.

There are no regulations against avocado colored bathroom suites either.

The regulations are mainly health and safety at the core. Apart from the
ones designed to placate the cripple lobby.

No one says you cant have a shower fit for only a dog, or a person in a
wheelchair ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On the same note - I can't see anything in the building regs that
specifies a minimum ceiling height in a dwelling - apart from a
headroom requirement on stairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Sep 2006 03:15:53 -0700, " wrote:

On the same note - I can't see anything in the building regs that
specifies a minimum ceiling height in a dwelling - apart from a
headroom requirement on stairs.

Yes - that's my impression too. I just wondered if there was some odd
ruling about showers. Glad to hear there isn't.

Thanks, - to you and N.P.

Drake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On the same note - I can't see anything in the building regs that
specifies a minimum ceiling height in a dwelling - apart from a
headroom requirement on stairs.

Other than over stairs, I don't think there is one.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

On the same note - I can't see anything in the building regs that
specifies a minimum ceiling height in a dwelling - apart from a
headroom requirement on stairs.

Other than over stairs, I don't think there is one.

Not now but there certainly used to be.

Quote from the 'Which' book "Extending Your House" published in the early 70s:

"...the ceiling of a habitable room must be at least 7 feet 6 inches
above the finished floor level. The headroom in a bay window must be at
least 6 feet 6 inches."

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:43:54 +0100 Ian White wrote :
We certainly thanked the regs when it came time to move the furniture
upstairs into the new loft conversion. It needed all of the required
headroom to turn the beds on the half-landing and again at the top.

The rule had not long gone when I started working for myself drawing
plans - mainly loft conversions. There were a few where there was really
not enough headroom but by some creative structural design I managed to
get around 2.2m, but there was one where 2m was as good as it got. I
raised this with the occupiers and they were unfazed, pointing out that
they were only 5'3" or so ... but of course anyone my height would have
walked into the room and thought it useless

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:27:55 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
From unburnt coal gas if the lamp went out?

No, just from the products of combustion - remember this was in
coal gas days when boilers sooted up from the sulphur etc.