Posted to uk.d-i-y
ledgie

Default Building regs for second hand window units?

I've been offered a few 2 year old UPVC window units by a neighbour who
found them to be surplus after they built an extension. I know a
window fitter so I was thinking of getting him to use these to replace
some of my old wooden frame windows. I will then get the rest of the
house done with new UPVC windows at a later date. What is the
situation with building regs for fitting second hand windows? I don't
know if these windows are k glass but they will be a lot better than mu
draughty wooden frames. I'm in Scotland if that makes a difference to
the regs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article .com,
ledgie wrote:
I've been offered a few 2 year old UPVC window units by a neighbour who
found them to be surplus after they built an extension. I know a
window fitter so I was thinking of getting him to use these to replace
some of my old wooden frame windows. I will then get the rest of the
house done with new UPVC windows at a later date. What is the
situation with building regs for fitting second hand windows? I don't
know if these windows are k glass but they will be a lot better than mu
draughty wooden frames. I'm in Scotland if that makes a difference to
the regs.

And if anyone in South Manchester wants mine - surplus for the same reason -
they're welcome to take the three glass units and window frames. Sizes on
request.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

ledgie wrote:
I've been offered a few 2 year old UPVC window units by a neighbour who
found them to be surplus after they built an extension. I know a
window fitter so I was thinking of getting him to use these to replace
some of my old wooden frame windows. I will then get the rest of the
house done with new UPVC windows at a later date. What is the
situation with building regs for fitting second hand windows? I don't
know if these windows are k glass but they will be a lot better than mu
draughty wooden frames. I'm in Scotland if that makes a difference to
the regs.

Dunno, but in England you'd have to get approval from the
pen-pushers, and the old windows might not be up to it,
especially if they haven't got the horrid "K" glass. OTOH
if you did install these, it's unlikely that anything
unfortunate would happen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ledgie

Seems a shame that pen pushers might try and stop me putting windows
that are perfectly usable and clearly better than the existing ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

ledgie wrote:
Seems a shame that pen pushers might try and stop me putting windows
that are perfectly usable and clearly better than the existing ones.

Even in England/Wales, if you don't tell 'em, & no-one rats on you,
with these windows you'd be OK.

I absolutely agree with you, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I know a window fitter so I was thinking of getting him to use these
to replace some of my old wooden frame windows.

Make sure you don't replace old wooden sashes in a Victorian period property
with uPVC. You will seriously reduce the value of the property. This is less
an issue with a 1980s build and much of the period between.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ledgie

Make sure you don't replace old wooden sashes in a Victorian period property
with uPVC. You will seriously reduce the value of the property. This is less
an issue with a 1980s build and much of the period between.

Thanks Christian. It is a 70's property and it is one of the last in
the street not to have white uPVC fitted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Christian McArdle wrote:
I know a window fitter so I was thinking of getting him to use these
to replace some of my old wooden frame windows.

Make sure you don't replace old wooden sashes in a Victorian period property
with uPVC. You will seriously reduce the value of the property. This is less
an issue with a 1980s build and much of the period between.

Agree with the sentiments entirely but am not sure you're right; in
plenty of areas I think buyers would regard uPVC as a selling point in
Victorian houses :-(

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Agree with the sentiments entirely but am not sure you're right; in
plenty of areas I think buyers would regard uPVC as a selling point in
Victorian houses :-(

Perhaps in areas with a large surplus of both Victorian houses and scummy
people.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Christian McArdle wrote:
Agree with the sentiments entirely but am not sure you're right; in
plenty of areas I think buyers would regard uPVC as a selling point in
Victorian houses :-(

Perhaps in areas with a large surplus of both Victorian houses and scummy
people.

Well, your words not mine!! But pick any town (say) where the bulk of
the housing stock consists of small Victorian terraces... an awful lot
of buyers just see these as 'houses' full stop, with no consideration of
their style or age (other than they are more likely to have maintenance
and issues, draughts etc than a 'nice' new house. To them, uPVC windows
= modern looking, maintenance-free, draught-free; given the choice
between identical houses with and without uPVC, they'll pick the former
any day.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ledgie

Would the building regs thing be okay as any date stamps on the windows
would be over 2 years old??