Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Building regs for second hand window units?

ledgie wrote:
I've been offered a few 2 year old UPVC window units by a neighbour who
found them to be surplus after they built an extension. I know a
window fitter so I was thinking of getting him to use these to replace
some of my old wooden frame windows. I will then get the rest of the
house done with new UPVC windows at a later date. What is the
situation with building regs for fitting second hand windows? I don't
know if these windows are k glass but they will be a lot better than mu
draughty wooden frames. I'm in Scotland if that makes a difference to
the regs.

Dunno, but in England you'd have to get approval from the
pen-pushers, and the old windows might not be up to it,
especially if they haven't got the horrid "K" glass. OTOH
if you did install these, it's unlikely that anything
unfortunate would happen.