Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building tie rods with those external S and X plates

I'm not getting anywhere googling on this, not exactly DIY either but what
the hell.
Does anyone know the technical term for those tie rods used on old buildings
with bulging walls etc.?
More specifically I'm interested in how the steel bars were heated, then the
nuts tightened, and on cooling produced the inwards tension.
Was it just steam jackets or was it higher temperatures from an exothermic
chemical reaction.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

N Cook wrote:
I'm not getting anywhere googling on this, not exactly DIY either but what
the hell.
Does anyone know the technical term for those tie rods used on old buildings
with bulging walls etc.?
More specifically I'm interested in how the steel bars were heated, then the
nuts tightened, and on cooling produced the inwards tension.
Was it just steam jackets or was it higher temperatures from an exothermic
chemical reaction.?

When we fitted them to our house, there was no heating - the structural
engineer simply specified a torque to tighten the nuts to, that's all.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My understanding too. Big nuts on the ends. Structural engineer tells
me the ones here are redundant - the bars can be wobbled. I guess they
stuck them in just in case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Grunff contains these words:

When we fitted them to our house, there was no heating - the structural
engineer simply specified a torque to tighten the nuts to, that's all.

All those I've ever seen have had big nuts on the end. I've never heard
of them being heated.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

N Cook wrote:
I'm not getting anywhere googling on this, not exactly DIY either but what
the hell.
Does anyone know the technical term for those tie rods used on old buildings
with bulging walls etc.?
More specifically I'm interested in how the steel bars were heated, then the
nuts tightened, and on cooling produced the inwards tension.
Was it just steam jackets or was it higher temperatures from an exothermic
chemical reaction.?

If you did need to heat them surely you'd just work along wth a
blowlamp or similar, or 2 blokes with 2 blowlamps each?

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

N Cook wrote:
I'm not getting anywhere googling on this, not exactly DIY either but what
the hell.
Does anyone know the technical term for those tie rods used on old buildings
with bulging walls etc.?
More specifically I'm interested in how the steel bars were heated, then the
nuts tightened, and on cooling produced the inwards tension.

You just tighten them. They are not really there to get the building
back to shape, just to stop it getting into worse shape..

Was it just steam jackets or was it higher temperatures from an exothermic
chemical reaction.?

I don't think heat comes into it at all.