Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OFTEC registered plumbers

My nearest plumber is OFTEC registered which of course is a
qualification for servicing and installing oil tanks, boilers, and the
like. He's a good chap and has done oil-based plumbing for me before.

He doesn't though appear to have any 'water plumbing' qualifications,
but by default if he's OFTEC registered does that mean that he's
likely to be properly qualified for water pipe plumbing? I ask simply
because I may have some water-based plumbing work for him.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:55:16 GMT, phil wrote:

He doesn't though appear to have any 'water plumbing' qualifications,

I may be wrong but I don't think there are any trade association
requirements for wet plumbing, like OFTEC for oil or CORGI for gas.
Anyone who can weild a blow lamp without burning themselves too badly can
become a plumber, in fact these days you don't even need a blow lamp.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-10 21:31:50 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:55:16 GMT, phil wrote:

He doesn't though appear to have any 'water plumbing' qualifications,

I may be wrong but I don't think there are any trade association
requirements for wet plumbing, like OFTEC for oil or CORGI for gas.
Anyone who can weild a blow lamp without burning themselves too badly
can become a plumber, in fact these days you don't even need a blow
lamp.

No, but I think that there are some who would like there to be....

http://www.iphe.org.uk/consumer/diydangers.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-09-10 21:31:50 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:55:16 GMT, phil wrote:

He doesn't though appear to have any 'water plumbing'
qualifications,

I may be wrong but I don't think there are any trade association
requirements for wet plumbing, like OFTEC for oil or CORGI for gas.
Anyone who can weild a blow lamp without burning themselves too badly
can become a plumber, in fact these days you don't even need a blow lamp.

No, but I think that there are some who would like there to be....

http://www.iphe.org.uk/consumer/diydangers.html

Being impartial and having no commercial interest, of course

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-09-10 21:31:50 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:55:16 GMT, phil wrote:

He doesn't though appear to have any 'water plumbing'
qualifications,
I may be wrong but I don't think there are any trade association
requirements for wet plumbing, like OFTEC for oil or CORGI for gas.
Anyone who can weild a blow lamp without burning themselves too badly
can become a plumber, in fact these days you don't even need a blow lamp.

No, but I think that there are some who would like there to be....

http://www.iphe.org.uk/consumer/diydangers.html

Being impartial and having no commercial interest, of course

--
geoff

What a load of ********!!!!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-09-10 21:31:50 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:55:16 GMT, phil wrote:

He doesn't though appear to have any 'water plumbing'
qualifications,
I may be wrong but I don't think there are any trade association
requirements for wet plumbing, like OFTEC for oil or CORGI for gas.
Anyone who can weild a blow lamp without burning themselves too badly
can become a plumber, in fact these days you don't even need a blow lamp.

No, but I think that there are some who would like there to be....

http://www.iphe.org.uk/consumer/diydangers.html

Being impartial and having no commercial interest, of course

--
geoff

What a load of ********!!!!!!!!!

This familiar to anyone?

http://www.iphe.org.uk/consumer/cowboys.html

Sigh.... Looks like another letter to Mr Redwood...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I may be wrong but I don't think there are any trade association
requirements for wet plumbing, like OFTEC for oil or CORGI for gas.
Anyone who can weild a blow lamp without burning themselves too badly can
become a plumber, in fact these days you don't even need a blow lamp.

--

They don't even know how to use a spell checker.

Corgi is not a trade association it is an approved registration body.
The law says that any Gas Fitting has to be carried out by a fitter
registered with an approved body.

There is no law at present that says the same for 'wet plumbing' but
there are several
'approval schemes' for Plumbers.

One is 'WIAPS' (Water Industry Approved Plumbers Scheme) another is ACP
(Approved Contractor Persons). Some Water Companies run their own
schemes. There are also Registered Plumbers belonging to the Institute
of Plumbing and Heating Engineers.

It is true there are many cowboys out there that are not registered
with anybody but that is the fault of sucessive Governments who refuse
to enshrine registration within a law. The IPHE have been pressing for
this for years. (huge shouts from posters claiming vested interests).

If accidents like Ronan Point etc etc had not happened even the Gorgi
Scheme would not be in existence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Sep 2006 03:04:37 -0700, Bookworm wrote:

They don't even know how to use a spell checker.

snip
If accidents like Ronan Point etc etc had not happened even the Gorgi

Pot kettle black.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:26:11 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

Thanks for all the replies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Bookworm wrote:
If accidents like Ronan Point etc etc had not happened even the Gorgi
Scheme would not be in existence.

Ronan Point was a disaster because of the poor design of the building.
It's not possible to totally prevent gas explosions. But it is possible to
prevent a building falling down after a relatively minor one.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article . com,
Bookworm wrote:
If accidents like Ronan Point etc etc had not happened even the Gorgi
Scheme would not be in existence.

Ronan Point was a disaster because of the poor design of the building.

Actually, poor construction was also a key factor -- lots of
the fixing bolts between the structural wall panels were never
fitted at Ronan Point, nor in many similar buildings, due to
poor construction supervision.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Ronan Point was a disaster because of the poor design of the building.

Not just design - assembly was faulty, too.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article . com,
Bookworm wrote:
If accidents like Ronan Point etc etc had not happened even the Gorgi
Scheme would not be in existence.

Ronan Point was a disaster because of the poor design of the building.

Actually, poor construction was also a key factor -- lots of
the fixing bolts between the structural wall panels were never
fitted at Ronan Point, nor in many similar buildings, due to
poor construction supervision.

Indeed. Wonder what wide ranging steps were taken to stop construction
companies cutting corners and enforce quality control?

Easier to bring in laws which have an effect on the DIYer and also bring
in money for trade associations...

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:55:16 +0000, phil wrote:

My nearest plumber is OFTEC registered which of course is a
qualification for servicing and installing oil tanks, boilers, and the
like. He's a good chap and has done oil-based plumbing for me before.

He doesn't though appear to have any 'water plumbing' qualifications,
but by default if he's OFTEC registered does that mean that he's
likely to be properly qualified for water pipe plumbing? I ask simply
because I may have some water-based plumbing work for him.

If he's OFTEC regd he's likely to have done a fair amount of general wet
plumbing in the course of his work, so if you're happy with his oil work
chances are you'll be happy with his general water-based work. That's if
he chooses to do such work: he may prefer to stick with oil work if he has
enough of that to keep him busy.

To add to what others have said about registration schemes there are City
& Guilds qualifications (NVQs) in plumbing which plumbers who've come into
th trade through any sort of formal training are likely to have. NVQ
level 2 is general fitting, level 3 is design and fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

NVQ level 1 is making tea and how to pee in loft tanks?

And miss the plaster.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:28:08 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

http://www.iphe.org.uk/consumer/diydangers.html

Follow the link on that page to find a registered plumber in your area. In
mine (Reading RG1) there's just one listed!

FWIW I did try to join the IOP (as it was before changing its name to
IPHE). They lost one of my references so I had to get that referee to send
them another, and eventually they rejected my application saying I hadn't
enough experience. Granted I'd only been working in the field for a year
or two (more than the minimum they specified) but they gave no indication
whether they meant I hadn't been working for a long enough time of that I
hadn't had specific areas of experience in my work; nor did they suggest
what I needed to do to rectify this lack of experience if I wanted to
reapply. This didn't seem to me to be the way to improve standards in the
industry.

I've also come across a report by a consultant who is a Member of the
IOP and listed on their website as an Expert, on a plumbing installation I
was familiar with. The report was riddled with errors and clearly written
by someone with no practical experience of plumbing.

For all the flak directed at CORGI at least they have people on board who
have practical experience on the tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Stumbles contains these words:

Follow the link on that page to find a registered plumber in your area. In
mine (Reading RG1) there's just one listed!

Same here for TF7.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:48:02 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

If he's OFTEC regd he's likely to have done a fair amount of general wet
plumbing in the course of his work, so if you're happy with his oil work
chances are you'll be happy with his general water-based work. That's if
he chooses to do such work: he may prefer to stick with oil work if he has
enough of that to keep him busy.

Thanks very much, most helpful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
[...]

You want the ARGI, that's what you want

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:22:44 +0000, raden wrote:

You want the ARGI, that's what you want

Thanks, hadn't come across them before

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
John Stumbles wrote:
raden wrote:
You want the ARGI, that's what you want

Thanks, hadn't come across them before

Is the ARGI-BARGI a scheme for people on houseboats?

I thought it was a south american fried in batter

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember raden saying
something like:

For all the flak directed at CORGI at least they have people on board who
have practical experience on the tools.

You want the ARGI, that's what you want

# It's fun to stay at the A R G I.
--

Dave

Let's all retrain as plumbers..... NOT Lobster UK diy 16 January 24th 06 11:34 AM
Plumbers - unfair reputation as bad guys jon UK diy 14 June 16th 05 11:36 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Tool Thieves Tom Watson Woodworking 43 March 18th 05 07:56 PM
Corgi registered or not..? Jinge UK diy 28 January 13th 05 11:05 PM