Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet Plops!!

We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is trying to
work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when guests are around. We
just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Any ideas ??

Regards

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:
We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is
trying to work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when
guests are around. We just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Any ideas ??

Regards

Steve

insulation under the floorboards...preferably rockwool

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Stephen Dawson wrote:
We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is
trying to work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when
guests are around. We just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Any ideas ??

Regards

Steve

insulation under the floorboards...preferably rockwool

This is what we thought, but was not sure if it would work. Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Stephen Dawson wrote:
We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is
trying to work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when
guests are around. We just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Any ideas ??

Regards

Steve

insulation under the floorboards...preferably rockwool

This is what we thought, but was not sure if it would work. Thanks

The method for soundproofing is slightly different than laying loft
insulation..
You'd need to take up the floorboards and affix a batten (two inches up from
the ceiling) to the inside of each, on top of this batten affix chicken wire
(wire mesh) so that there is a gap below it to the ceiling below, this is
then filled proud of the joists with rockwool, so that when the floorboards
wire it would cause bulging/sagging in the ceiling below, this is about the
best soundproofing you are going to get, short of spending a fortune on
timber and granulated rubber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav Gav is offline

Stephen Dawson wrote:
We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is trying to
work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when guests are around. We
just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Any ideas ??

Regards

Steve

i always put a bit of paper down the loo first, stops splashes too!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Stephen Dawson wrote:

"Phil L" wrote in message
. co.uk...

Stephen Dawson wrote:

[...]

where is the noise is coming from ? Is the sewer sucking water from
your loo basin when the neighbours flush, or is it through the wall from
next door's loo.
If the latter, the soundproofing needs to be applied to the party wall
rather than to the floor.
Quickly fashion a studding wall from old toilet rolls and double sided
sticky tape and fix on the party wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:

We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is trying to
work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when guests are around.

You dont give us much clues to work with, but I'll guess the prime
problem is (most likely) a wood framed stud wall. Removing the PB will
make it possible to stagger the studs slightly, only needs to be by
half an inch, so that each PB side is fixed to different studs. This
means no direct hard path from one side to the other for sound. Also
beefing up the uprights helps. Keeping existing uprights for one side
of PB and adding a new set for the 2nd side is good if you can get them
into sensible places for the PB sheets.

This method means losing any horizontal noggins, or at least losing
nearly all, if you must have one eg for a sink.

Fill space with rockwool and replace PB with 12mm, not 9. And take care
about gaps, the smallest of gaps can really increase sound
transmission.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:
We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is
trying to work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when
guests are around. We just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Any ideas ??

Regards

Steve

Throw some toilet paper in the bog first before crapping. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 566987 20060907 214635 Gav wrote:
Stephen Dawson wrote:
We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is trying to
work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when guests are around. We
just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Any ideas ??

Regards

Steve

i always put a bit of paper down the loo first, stops splashes too!

Dang! I knew I should have patented that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:
We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is trying to
work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when guests are around. We
just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Tsk, women...

A nice noisy extractor fan linked to the light switch, which would also
keep her happy by removing nasty niffs?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Stephen Dawson wrote:
We are working in a 3 bed end of terrace house and the client is
trying to work out a sensible way of muffling toilet noises when
guests are around. We just said sing louder but she was not keen.

Tsk, women...

A nice noisy extractor fan linked to the light switch, which would
also keep her happy by removing nasty niffs?

David

This is too much lol

Just buy a bathroom radio and stick it to the tiles by the carsey.

I've got one that looks like a pequin...you lower its arm for stations,push
its nose for on/off, pull the other arm for mw/fm. ;-)

And no i dont spend half hour on the carsey.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Just buy a bathroom radio and stick it to the tiles by the carsey.
I've got one that looks like a pequin...you lower its arm for
stations,push its nose for on/off, pull the other arm for mw/fm. ;-)

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Owain

Ah yes forgot that, you twiddle its foot.

Or was you thinking of something else. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Owain

Here's the little blighter
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/penguin.jpg
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Owain wrote:

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Owain

Here's the little blighter
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/penguin.jpg

Poor grout spacing under his left wing and foot ;-)

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Owain

Here's the little blighter
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/penguin.jpg

Poor grout spacing under his left wing and foot ;-)

Cheers

John

Poor grouting all over,but I'm not too bothered when I'm contemplating and
listening to some music.

Ps do you know your left from right. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Owain

Here's the little blighter
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/penguin.jpg

Poor grout spacing under his left wing and foot ;-)

Cheers

John

Poor grouting all over,but I'm not too bothered when I'm contemplating and
listening to some music.

Ps do you know your left from right. ;-)

Yes, do you?? That's why I said under HIS left wing, not under the left as
you view it!

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Owain wrote:

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Here's the little blighter
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/penguin.jpg

Hey we have one identical to that! Or at least, we did until last
week... it was stuck to the wall of the shower at head height and while
I was, er, sitting elsewhere in the room contemplating life, the
universe and everything, the little bugger's suckers suddenly gave way
and he took a 6-foot swallow dive down into the shower tray.

Hell's bells... if I hadn't already been in the middle of ****ting
myself I probably would have done so anyway...

RIP, penguin.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Owain wrote:

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Here's the little blighter
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/penguin.jpg

Hey we have one identical to that! Or at least, we did until last
week... it was stuck to the wall of the shower at head height and
while I was, er, sitting elsewhere in the room contemplating life, the
universe and everything, the little bugger's suckers suddenly gave way
and he took a 6-foot swallow dive down into the shower tray.

Hell's bells... if I hadn't already been in the middle of ****ting
myself I probably would have done so anyway...

RIP, penguin.

David

I had a toilet roll holder radio once,till someone pestered me for it.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Ah yes forgot that, you twiddle its foot.
Or was you thinking of something else. ;-)

I was wondering whether penguins had anything else ;-)

Well, it appears to be smiling...

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?

Owain

Here's the little blighter
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/penguin.jpg

Poor grout spacing under his left wing and foot ;-)

Cheers

John

There always is a problem with anything left wing....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 10:19:46 UTC, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Just buy a bathroom radio and stick it to the tiles by the carsey.

Nah...musical toilet roll holder!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john2" wrote in message

Quickly fashion a studding wall from old toilet rolls and double sided
sticky tape and fix on the party wall.

That's the best idea yet, Blue Peter lives!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just buy a bathroom radio and stick it to the tiles by the carsey.

Nah...musical toilet roll holder!

What's the problem anyway? Does everyone stop talking when someone has to
go? Do guests never need to go?

Hells Bells! Dig a long drop in the garden, guaranteed silent.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-08 18:22:31 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Owain contains these words:

And which bit of its anatomy is volume?
Ah yes forgot that, you twiddle its foot.
Or was you thinking of something else. ;-)

I was wondering whether penguins had anything else ;-)

Well, it appears to be smiling...

That's because it's running Linux.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

I was wondering whether penguins had anything else ;-)

Have you thought just how cold it is where they come from ?

I hope for their sake that anything they have is kept somewhere nice and
warm.

Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 06:06 PM
Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 02:00 AM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
wax free toilet seal - experiences? AAB Home Repair 18 March 3rd 04 01:05 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM