Posted to uk.d-i-y
DB DB is offline

Default Boiler installed - not Corgi Registered - Builder dispute

Hi, I would be very grateful if anyone can help - can't believe this is
happening . I've put the situation into points below to keep things
as simple as possible.

1. Builder as part of general works agrees to install boiler
(condensing). I request installation to be CORGI certified.

2. Boiler installed. Boiler was wired up to temporary workmans
electrical supply (having a rewire done as well by qualifed electrician
- not through builder). Gas and water connected. Rads cleaned through
with chemical cleaner. All this done while I have been at work.

3. Builder says that the boiler is almost ready and that he has tested
it, but that he can't notify CORGI until the boiler has a dedicated and
permanant electrical spur.

4. I got my electrican to put a spur in and connect the boiler to the
spur. Boiler is now off, but all pipes are still connected.

5. Seperate dispute occurs between myself and the builder over a
number of jobs he has done in the listing of general works agreed.

6. Builder wants a certain amount of money (though I don't owe him
anything) otherwise he says that he won't notify CORGI.

My probem is how can I get the installation registered with CORGI as
the builder won't notify them? Any ideas what I should do? I'm now not
even sure if the installation was done by my builder through a CORGI
registered fitter, though the builder said it was. I have only his
word on this. My new boiler in the meanwhile remains unused,
especially as winter approaches.

Should I notify CORGI of whats happended? or should I tell my builder
to notify CORGI of the installation or I will? Soneone please help....
will be very grateful.

Kind regards

D.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DB" wrote:
[...]

Ask CORGI for advice?
http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DB" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I would say don't panic!

Sort out builder separately.

Find local CORGI gas person (preferably by recommendation) explain situation
to him (or her) and ask for a survey and any rectification required.

I'm sure that would clear all problems, even if it costs a little more that
you shouldn't have paid - life's too short - why let a builder spoil it?

If, on the other hand you like a fight (some peole do!) do the above and
knock the cost off the builder's bill and take your positions ready for the
tussle.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"DB" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ask corgi registered guy for landlords cp12

will cost approx £60- £80.00
are you anywhere in london/essex as I have a superb one who actually
apreciates me as a customer and does not treat one like they are doing
you a favour by being willing to grace one with their presence.

HTH PHIL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "DB" contains these words:

Should I notify CORGI of whats happended? or should I tell my builder
to notify CORGI of the installation or I will? Soneone please help....
will be very grateful.

Talk to your local CAB and Trading Standards.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Bob Mannix wrote:
"DB" wrote in message
oups.com...

My probem is how can I get the installation registered with CORGI as
the builder won't notify them? Any ideas what I should do? I'm now not
even sure if the installation was done by my builder through a CORGI
registered fitter, though the builder said it was. I have only his
word on this. My new boiler in the meanwhile remains unused,
especially as winter approaches.

Should I notify CORGI of whats happended? or should I tell my builder
to notify CORGI of the installation or I will? Soneone please help....
will be very grateful.

Ask corgi registered guy for landlords cp12

You can't simply use a landlord's safety certificate as a substitute for
having the installation certified by CORGI - it's not the same thing.
There could be problems with the installation which would not be picked
up in a landlord's check.

For example: a muppet fitter could have installed the boiler and
forgotten to apply his blowlamp to a soldered fitting. The fluxed joint
could quite likely remain gas tight for the duration of the testers's
drop-test, and could therefore pass a landlord's check... that sort of
problem could be very hard to pick up, which is why it can be pretty
hard to find a CORGI who is prepared to sign off the work of an unknown
somebody else under circumstances like yours.

Your ideal would be to find out somehow (on the sly?) who did install
your boiler and approach them direct I would have thought.

If the builder has used somebody who isn't CORGI-registered then CORGI
would be interested in knowing about it, for sure.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

DB wrote:
Hi, I would be very grateful if anyone can help - can't believe this

6. Builder wants a certain amount of money (though I don't owe him
anything) otherwise he says that he won't notify CORGI.

that's sailing quite close to blackmail.

balls to him, get a local gas fitter in to certify the boiler with
a landlords certificate and bill the builder for it. unless the
builder has a written schedule and you have a written quote
it's his word against yours and if he doesn't what you want
he can F off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

DB wrote:
[...]

Its a criminal offence to work on gas installations as a job (not diy),
so tell the builder you will be notifying the Police and CORGI
yourself, as you believe an offence has been commited and you are in
fear for the safety of your family and home.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

6. Builder wants a certain amount of money (though I don't owe him
anything) otherwise he says that he won't notify CORGI.

Simply phone building control and say that your builder is refusing to give
you the certificate and you believe that they may be working on gas without
a ticket.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DB DB is offline

Many thanks to all for your suggestions.

Just to let you all know that I first contacted Valient who are my
boiler company and they said:

Dear sir,

To confirm the points raised with xxxx, the advisor you spoke to this
morning.

Our boilers can be registered at vaillant.co.uk

Any engineer who is registered with Corgi can commission the boiler,
regardless of who installed the boiler, provided that they are happy to
do so. Corgi's website can be found here. You can source a
corgi-registered installer from there.

Best regards

Vaillant Group Service

---------

I then contacted CORGI who said that if I can get someone else to
commision the boiler and register with CORGI then that would be fine
(thankfully so!). I've got in touch with a CORGI Boiler installer who
has said he will be ok to come down and check out the boiler and if all
ok to commision and notify CORGI. He charges about £60 which is quite
reasonable. Hopefully all we be ok with the boiler and the builder
will be a distant memory.

Thank you again to everyone who posted replies to my message. Will
give further update if the situation changes in anyway.

Thanks again.

DB.

Our boilers can be registered at vaillant.co.uk

[...]

That's the word I was waiting to see in this thread... "commisioning"
It's what they're trained to do, all CORGI fitters can perform a system
check before firing up and certifying a gas appliance and associated
services, components etc.

I think your builder was trying scare tactics.

d.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"DB" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've got in touch with a CORGI Boiler installer who
has said he will be ok to come down and check out the boiler and if all
ok to commision and notify CORGI. He charges about £60 which is quite
reasonable. Hopefully all we be ok with the boiler and the builder
will be a distant memory.

Thank you again to everyone who posted replies to my message. Will
give further update if the situation changes in anyway.

Thanks again.

DB.

Hi DB - if your Corgi man is good and he is anywhere near Surrey / West
Sussex I would be interested in his details

Cheers

Pete