Junior Member

Default replacing ballcock &valve

My flat has g.c.h with water tanks immediately above h/w cyl. Because of the clowns who designed it I only have 4" clearance between top of water tank & top of inspection hatch so I cannot work inside the tank. However I have better access on the o/side where inlet feed pipe enters tank. This pipe is15mm (all sizes o.d.) & has a nut/union ,25mm. leading to a short threaded pipe,21mm. ,which has a flat nut,35mm, at the end where the pipe goes into the plastic tank. If I undo this lot will the the b/cock & valve come off so I can replace them?
Thank you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
mikehh

Short answer is Yes.

If the valve is in reasonable condition i.e. not horrendously corroded you
can just dismantle it and replace the internal sealing stopper rubber and it
will almost certainly be OK. Replacement of the whole lot is no real problem
as they're really very inexpensive, I'm just a tightwad.

The only other real possibility is that the internal trumpet shaped
component, through which the water enters the valve may have split, though
I've only known this once.

Take care to try and take the loads applied when undoing the valve from the
tank, especially if it's plastic.

Good luck. You should have no problems.