Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flooding in ground floor void

Following the recent heavy rains I have notice a build-up of water in the
ground floor void.

The void is quite deep however much of the land around the house is sloping
towards it.

I was wondering, as i am having quite a bit of work done to the house, if I
could fill the void and finish with a concrete screed floor to the ground
floor areas.

Any one got any comments.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nigel lewis" wrote in message
.. .
Following the recent heavy rains I have notice a build-up of water in the
ground floor void.

The void is quite deep however much of the land around the house is
sloping
towards it.

I was wondering, as i am having quite a bit of work done to the house, if
could fill the void and finish with a concrete screed floor to the ground
floor areas.

Any one got any comments.

It seems to be the wrong way round!
The void (area under the floor-boards and joists?) should be dry.
Air bricks should be permitting ventilation to evaporate any moisture.
If water is collecting then there's something wrong. Has a non-permeable
patio/parking area been implemented adjacent to the house? Has a large
'flower-bed' style of garden been constructed into which water is
soaking -acting as sponge- and become the source of the water. It's drainage
that you need (IMHO) rather than a lump of concrete that'll only move -not
obviate- the water.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:
[...]

mmm. Used to happen to me.

Try a french drain round the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 01:14:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

|Brian Sharrock wrote:
| "nigel lewis" wrote in message
| .. .
| Following the recent heavy rains I have notice a build-up of water in the
| ground floor void.
|
| The void is quite deep however much of the land around the house is
| sloping
| towards it.
|
| I was wondering, as i am having quite a bit of work done to the house, if
| could fill the void and finish with a concrete screed floor to the ground
| floor areas.
|
| Any one got any comments.
|
| It seems to be the wrong way round!
| The void (area under the floor-boards and joists?) should be dry.
| Air bricks should be permitting ventilation to evaporate any moisture.
| If water is collecting then there's something wrong. Has a non-permeable
| patio/parking area been implemented adjacent to the house? Has a large
| 'flower-bed' style of garden been constructed into which water is
| soaking -acting as sponge- and become the source of the water. It's drainage
| that you need (IMHO) rather than a lump of concrete that'll only move -not
| obviate- the water.
|
|mmm. Used to happen to me.
|
|Try a french drain round the house.

This happened to a group of houses near to us who got flooded cellars.
Someone ?The water company? put in a huge land drain from the field behind
to the local stream.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Try a french drain round the house.

Smelly and running down the middle of the road? (memories of Aigue Mort
in the 60s)

--
Skipweasel