Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for 19 inch rack

Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Pandora writes
Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

I might have one (or two)

well, I have - just not sure how easy one would be to access

give me a ring - 01923 229224

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pandora wrote:
Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

Ebay?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pandora"
saying something like:

Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

These kind of things pop up the most unexpected places. Keep an eye open
for factory closing auctions, scrap dealers, freecycle, etc.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Pandora writes
Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

And we've just thrown about three of these out 'cos no one wanted them!

And yes they are expensive there are some places online, bull
electrical, that do them but their not cheap that way either...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Pandora wrote:
Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

They tend to be expensive because of the market they're aimed at. But
remember 19" bays were originally for pro audio and video equipment, etc
and you might find a better deal in a shop that sells say disco equipment.
But it's the sort of thing that doesn't fetch much secondhand, so I'd do a
search on Ebay.

The other way might be to buy a new domestic filing cabinet from IKEA etc
and fit 19" mounting strips - you'll get these from the likes of Canford
Audio.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pandora wrote:
Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

Rittal (Enfield) for a beautiful new one.
Local University departments are always chucking them out too.

Z.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pandora wrote:
Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

Hard to get em cheap. I think mine was several hundred..some years back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
Pandora wrote:
Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

They tend to be expensive because of the market they're aimed at. But
remember 19" bays were originally for pro audio and video equipment, etc
and you might find a better deal in a shop that sells say disco equipment.
But it's the sort of thing that doesn't fetch much secondhand, so I'd do a
search on Ebay.

The other way might be to buy a new domestic filing cabinet from IKEA etc
and fit 19" mounting strips - you'll get these from the likes of Canford
Audio.

Nimans and the like are worth a try. Comms gear in offices etc.

Doorless floor standing with castors between 300-600 depending on size.

www.nimans.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Pandora wrote:
Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

Hard to get em cheap. I think mine was several hundred..some years back.

Loads of cheap ones on ebay, try this shop for a start:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DIRECT-PRODUCTS
You'll probably have to fit the castors yourself - but you'll likely
have so many wires attached to the cabinet that there'll be little
benefit to it being mobile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pandora wrote:

Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

These folks will do pretty much any size and deliver anywhe

http://www.bownet.co.uk

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pandora wrote:

Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of
Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum
external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for
my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops
charge an arm and a leg!

I've done something very similar by buying the pre-punched mounting
rails and fitting them to simple wooden enclosures. It's cheaper and
more appropriate for a domestic setting too. You can also make is
exactly the size you want and allow for ventilation or doors.

I got my mounting rails by mail order from www.studiospares.com. They
have a shop at Staples Corner on the London North Circular road if
you're passing that way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roly wrote:

I've done something very similar by buying the pre-punched mounting
rails and fitting them to simple wooden enclosures. It's cheaper and
more appropriate for a domestic setting too. You can also make is
exactly the size you want and allow for ventilation or doors.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

It look as though I might have to make something for myself after all.

The smallest open access frame I can find has an external footprint of
600 x 600mm. I think that my cupboard size will allow 600 width x 500mm
depth tops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 17:22:27 UTC, "Pandora" wrote:

Roly wrote:

I've done something very similar by buying the pre-punched mounting
rails and fitting them to simple wooden enclosures. It's cheaper and
more appropriate for a domestic setting too. You can also make is
exactly the size you want and allow for ventilation or doors.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

It look as though I might have to make something for myself after all.

The smallest open access frame I can find has an external footprint of
600 x 600mm. I think that my cupboard size will allow 600 width x 500mm
depth tops.

I ended up taking a big breath and buying one. It was shallower than
that (but then one has to worry about the depth of whatever is going in
there; in my case I was building most of it). I got an 'audio' one from
Canford that works fine. 500mm depth AFAIR.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pandora" wrote in message
ps.com...

The smallest open access frame I can find has an external footprint of
600 x 600mm. I think that my cupboard size will allow 600 width x 500mm
depth tops.

What about this one?

http://www.apw.com/enclosuresolutions/commsrak.asp

PDF data sheet here

http://www.apw.com/enclosuresolution...k/commsrak.pdf

Can be purchased from here for £112 incl VAT & delivery

https://secure.wadsworth.co.uk/WaItemDetail1083.aspx

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
What about this one?

http://www.apw.com/enclosuresolutions/commsrak.asp

PDF data sheet here

http://www.apw.com/enclosuresolution...k/commsrak.pdf

Can be purchased from here for £112 incl VAT & delivery

https://secure.wadsworth.co.uk/WaItemDetail1083.aspx

HTH

John

That looks good, John, thanks. They do a 37U version which will fit in
my cupboard. Excellent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pandora wrote:
John wrote:
What about this one?

http://www.apw.com/enclosuresolutions/commsrak.asp

That looks good, John, thanks. They do a 37U version which will fit in
my cupboard. Excellent.

For general information to readers of this thread, I have since found
out that the base of this rack is 600mm deep (i.e. it won't fit in my
cupboard unfortunately)

It seems as though the 19" racks for audio equipment aren't quite as
deep as the network racks, so I'll probably have to confine my search
to amplifier shops etc.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pandora wrote:

For general information to readers of this thread, I have since found
out that the base of this rack is 600mm deep (i.e. it won't fit in my
cupboard unfortunately)

It seems as though the 19" racks for audio equipment aren't quite as
deep as the network racks, so I'll probably have to confine my search
to amplifier shops etc.

Why not look at the wall mounting racks then, rather than the floor
standing ones? Do you really need 37U tall?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Why not look at the wall mounting racks then, rather than the floor
standing ones? Do you really need 37U tall?

Well, maybe I do need a rethink...

The cupboard in which I want to put the rack has two openings: a
full-size door (height 1.94m, width 0.63m) at the front and a smaller
door at the back. The smaller door is 1m off the ground and has a
height of 0.94m, width of 0.54m.

The depth of the cupboard is 0.52m, so the cross-section of the
cupboard looks like this ("+" is solid wall, use fixed width font):

++++++++++++++++++++
+ +
| b | ^
| a | |
| c | |
| k | |
| f | |
| r d | |
| o o | |
| n o | |
| t r | | 1.94m
| + ^ |
| d + | |
| o + | |
| o + | |
| r + | 1m |
| + | |
|-----0.52m------+ | |
| + | |
| + v v

The rack will be used to mount a 48-way patch panel (max. 4U) and stand
various audio-visual equipment. The a-v equipment probably won't be 19"
rack mounting but the patch panel will be.

I suppose that I could mount a rack low down on the back wall. It would
seem better to have a floor-standing rack, though with the patch panel
mounted at least 1m above the floor - this way I can easily wire up the
back of the patch panel through the back door. I could then open the
front door to play about with the patch leads.

The only type of rack that will fit the depth of the cupboard though is
a type like this
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/re...tails/4821.pdf which
is sold in audio stores. That particular one isn't tall enough to be
accessible through the back cupboard though. I need 36U or 37U really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 12:21:46 UTC, "Pandora" wrote:

For general information to readers of this thread, I have since found
out that the base of this rack is 600mm deep (i.e. it won't fit in my
cupboard unfortunately)

It seems as though the 19" racks for audio equipment aren't quite as
deep as the network racks, so I'll probably have to confine my search
to amplifier shops etc.

That's what I found, and I went to Canford in the end. Then I had to
worry about shallow rack cases for the two machines I was building to go
in there...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 15:42:16 UTC, "Pandora" wrote:

The only type of rack that will fit the depth of the cupboard though is
a type like this
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/re...tails/4821.pdf which
is sold in audio stores. That particular one isn't tall enough to be
accessible through the back cupboard though. I need 36U or 37U really.

Some of them have optional plinths that can win you 100mm or so. Might
mean a few U less!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pandora wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Why not look at the wall mounting racks then, rather than the floor
standing ones? Do you really need 37U tall?

I suppose that I could mount a rack low down on the back wall. It would
seem better to have a floor-standing rack, though with the patch panel
mounted at least 1m above the floor - this way I can easily wire up the
back of the patch panel through the back door. I could then open the
front door to play about with the patch leads.

My point about wall mounting racks was not so much that they can be wall
mounted (you can also just stack them on a floor), but that they are
only 450mm deep.

The only type of rack that will fit the depth of the cupboard though is
a type like this
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/re...tails/4821.pdf which
is sold in audio stores. That particular one isn't tall enough to be
accessible through the back cupboard though. I need 36U or 37U really.

Not a cheap way of doing it, but a 21U and a 15U cabinet stacked would
probably do what you need:

http://www.bownet.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...inets_446.html

You could add standard cabinet shelves for the non rack mounting gear.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 12:21:46 UTC, "Pandora" wrote:

For general information to readers of this thread, I have since found
out that the base of this rack is 600mm deep (i.e. it won't fit in my
cupboard unfortunately)

It seems as though the 19" racks for audio equipment aren't quite as
deep as the network racks, so I'll probably have to confine my search
to amplifier shops etc.

That's what I found, and I went to Canford in the end. Then I had to
worry about shallow rack cases for the two machines I was building to go
in there...!

Why don't you do what we did recently . We needed an odd length rack to
go in an office. Made one out of 20 mm Ash faced MDF set the distance
between the sides exactly to the 19" standard and used the rack strip
from Canford audio.

Looks fine and works a treat and all for less than 100 quid
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pandora wrote:

The rack will be used to mount a 48-way patch panel (max. 4U) and stand
various audio-visual equipment. The a-v equipment probably won't be 19"
rack mounting but the patch panel will be.

I previously mentioned some rack strip that I got from Studiospares to
make something similar to what you descrtibed.

Now that you tell us a little more, you might find that my solution
works even better as mine was to conceal a mixture of 19" rack items and
a collection of A/V gear in a cupboard.

It's normal to get rack shelves for A/V gear that doesn't have 19" rack
ears, but they only come in increments of 1 3/4" ( 1U ), but with
several items of equipment, the amount of wasted space was going to make
the difference between it all fitting in the space available and it not
fitting.

Normally I buy the pre-punched rack strips that are usually found, but
in this case, the rack strips I used were an aluminium extrusion where
captive nuts slide along to any desired point. In more normal
applications, they're fiddly as hell and I would avoid them, but for an
installation like mine they were ideal as I could simply buy 1U rack
shelves for each item and space them exactly the distance apart that I
needed, leaving ventilation gaps where necessary.

I found that the easiest way to install the gear was from the bottom up.
The patch panel at the bottom ( so that the patch cords don't drape over
the gear ), then the nuts were put loosely onto the next item and it was
slid down to the appropriate height. If you want a ventilation gap, then
temporarily leaving a suitable thickness of wood between an item and
the next one while the nuts are tightened makes the job very easy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roly wrote:
snip
Normally I buy the pre-punched rack strips that are usually found, but
in this case, the rack strips I used were an aluminium extrusion where
captive nuts slide along to any desired point. In more normal
applications, they're fiddly as hell and I would avoid them, but for an
installation like mine they were ideal as I could simply buy 1U rack
shelves for each item and space them exactly the distance apart that I
needed, leaving ventilation gaps where necessary.

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you have a link to the extruded
aluminium strips, please? I couldn't find them on the
http://www.studiospares.com/ website.

My cupboard will probably contain a network patch panel, a router, a
telephone PABX, a computer, a keyboard, a small screen, a media server,
an audio amplifier and a UHF distribution amplifier. Of these, only the
patch panel will be 19" rack mounting perhaps.

Maybe trying to use a 19" rack is an expensive way of constructing a
frame that has adjustable height shelves. Perhaps I could just buy an
IKEA-type storage rack-on-wheels and try to fit your rails to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:12:24 UTC, "Pandora" wrote:

My cupboard will probably contain a network patch panel, a router, a
telephone PABX, a computer, a keyboard, a small screen, a media server,
an audio amplifier and a UHF distribution amplifier. Of these, only the
patch panel will be 19" rack mounting perhaps.

Maybe trying to use a 19" rack is an expensive way of constructing a
frame that has adjustable height shelves. Perhaps I could just buy an
IKEA-type storage rack-on-wheels and try to fit your rails to it.

I decided to stick with the rack and put a couple of servers and a UPS
in it too. But I kept the UHF distribution amp out, becxause I was
worried about the npise generated by the rest of the stuff. I may have
been worried unnecessarily, but...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I decided to stick with the rack and put a couple of servers and a UPS
in it too. But I kept the UHF distribution amp out, becxause I was
worried about the npise generated by the rest of the stuff. I may have
been worried unnecessarily, but...

--

I've brought all my coaxial cable and Cat 5e cable back to the same
cupboard so I have committed to putting the UHF amplifier and network

I've also run a "signal earth" cable from a copper rod in the ground
back to the cupboard. Fingers crossed...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Pandora writes
Thanks for your suggestion. Do you have a link to the extruded
aluminium strips, please? I couldn't find them on the
http://www.studiospares.com/ website.

http://www.studiospares.com/pd_42904...STRIP%201M.htm
--
Bill