Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet fitting

I want to replace my existing toilet and connect the new pan to the
existing 1959 cast iron soil pipe. The pipe exits at a fairly steep
angle and has a large flange that the existing pan is puttied into (and
it looks a mess!) The soil pipe is approx 4.5" outside diameter and
appears to be marked 4". I've uploaded some pictures to:

http://www.pwatson.org/gallery/Bathroom

What I'd like to do is to cut back the cast iron pipe to remove the
unsightly large flange and use an appropriate push fit wc connector -
But which one!

Due to the steep (in excess of 14 degrees) exit angle I guess most of
the available Multikwik and McAlpine range won't fit so only the
flexible ones, such as the McAlpine WC-F23R, will fit? Or do I keep the
flange and putty the new pan back in?

Advice welcome please so I minimise the trips swapping adapters and have
the loo out of service for the minimum time

TIA

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Watson wrote:

appears to be marked 4". I've uploaded some pictures to:

http://www.pwatson.org/gallery/Bathroom

What I'd like to do is to cut back the cast iron pipe to remove the
unsightly large flange and use an appropriate push fit wc connector -
But which one!

Due to the steep (in excess of 14 degrees) exit angle I guess most of
the available Multikwik and McAlpine range won't fit so only the
flexible ones, such as the McAlpine WC-F23R, will fit? Or do I keep the
flange and putty the new pan back in?

You will probably have difficulty reusing the current connection method
since a modern pan will not match the exit angle. You may also find that
the current pipe extends too far into the room to allow a "back to the
wall" pan & cistern to be fitted in the right place.

Advice welcome please so I minimise the trips swapping adapters and have
the loo out of service for the minimum time

Work out where the new pan needs to go, cut off the pipe someway further
back, and fit a shortish flexible connector. Rememeber that if you have
one that is a little too long then you can just stuff more of it down
the end of the pipe!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Work out where the new pan needs to go, cut off the pipe someway further
back, and fit a shortish flexible connector. Rememeber that if you have
one that is a little too long then you can just stuff more of it down
the end of the pipe!

Thanks John.

A supplementary question - I'm fitting new (vinyl on top of hardboard)
flooring at the same time. Screw the pan down to the floorboards first
and lay the floor round it or lay the floor and then screw the pan down?

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:53:34 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Rememeber that if you have
one that is a little too long then you can just stuff more of it down
the end of the pipe!

Oo-er missus!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Watson wrote:

A supplementary question - I'm fitting new (vinyl on top of hardboard)
flooring at the same time. Screw the pan down to the floorboards first
and lay the floor round it or lay the floor and then screw the pan down?

If you have the option, then lay the floor first - much simpler than
cutting round the pan. Also better should there ever be an overflow
incident!

--
Cheers,

John.

Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 02:00 AM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM
Aaargh Killing black growth in toilet w/o killing 22 pound cat 1_Patriotic_Gal Home Repair 16 May 22nd 04 02:31 PM
Raised Toilet Andrew Mawson UK diy 11 December 12th 03 12:19 AM