Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat roof

Are these things dirt cheap to build or what.

With all the horror stories I have no idea why anyone would build a flat
roof.

Can someone enlighten me?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

R D S wrote:
Are these things dirt cheap to build or what.

With all the horror stories I have no idea why anyone would build a flat
roof.

Can someone enlighten me?

There is nothing wrong with a flat roof, properly laid and constructed
with the correct fall and inspected after 10 years and maintained or
replaced as required.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dg wrote:
R D S wrote:
Are these things dirt cheap to build or what.

With all the horror stories I have no idea why anyone would build a flat
roof.

Can someone enlighten me?

they cost much less than the normal roof because they are not slated,
they are lower and less dangerous to work on and cheap to cover with
chipboard and torched on felt compared to a slated roof which is slow
and dangerous work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
With all the horror stories I have no idea why anyone would build a
flat roof.

Can someone enlighten me?

they cost much less than the normal roof because they are not slated,
they are lower and less dangerous to work on and cheap to cover with
chipboard and torched on felt compared to a slated roof which is slow
and dangerous work.

They're certainly cheap if made like that but not if done correctly.

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Are these things dirt cheap to build or what.

With all the horror stories I have no idea why anyone would build a
flat roof.

Can someone enlighten me?

They are cheap.

They don't work for any length of time, but they are cheap :-p

...although, by the time the ceiling underneath has had to be replaced (along
with the flat roof itself) and the whole room decorated half a dozen times,
they're not *that* cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
R D S wrote:
Are these things dirt cheap to build or what.

With all the horror stories I have no idea why anyone would build a
flat roof.

Can someone enlighten me?

They are cheap.

They don't work for any length of time, but they are cheap :-p

..although, by the time the ceiling underneath has had to be replaced (along
with the flat roof itself) and the whole room decorated half a dozen times,
they're not *that* cheap.

The most common fault in them is that some builders dont put enough of
a fall on them and the water lies in pools if the sun makes the felt
pucker.
If there is a good runoff of water they can last many years trouble
free.
When water lies in pools cracks appear and it seeps in and once it
starts it gets worse every year until you are forced to reroof it.
I like a six inch fall in a 15 foot roof to be sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

wrote:
Phil L wrote:
R D S wrote:
[...]

Its freezing/thawing that causes more wear than a hot sun, and
locations subject to sharp changes in temperature caused by sun/shade
cause more expansion/contraction of the felt and premature wear too.

Typically, a leak will develop from a joint. A good few many more years
can be obtained by just resealing the joints.

A 1 deg (1:60) fall is sufficient. The problem with ponding is
generally when the joist spacing is too wide or the deck boards are too
thin, so the weight causes localised sagging.

A proper construction with a low pitch will perform just as good as a
steeper pitch, but obviously a steeper pitch will allow for poor
quality construction.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
R D S wrote:
Are these things dirt cheap to build or what.

With all the horror stories I have no idea why anyone would build a
flat roof.

Can someone enlighten me?

They are cheap.

They don't work for any length of time, but they are cheap :-p

They can work for a very long time, but then they are not as cheap ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

They can work for a very long time, but then they are not as cheap ;-)

Our kitchen projection was done in fibreglass fifteen years ago and is
showing no signs of deterioration.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
With all the horror stories I have no idea why anyone would build a flat
roof.

I had no option through wanting to extend the usable space in an attic
room to the rear outside wall.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
Are these things dirt cheap to build or what.

With all the horror stories I have no idea why anyone would build a flat
roof.

Can someone enlighten me?

There are alternatives to traditional felt. If you want the benefits of a flat
roof without the problems explore the alternatives - e.g. fibre glass, etc.

Cic.

It has removed 305 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!