Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fibre-glass repairs

Best way to repair a hole in a fibre-glass hull dinghy ?
Say 6" x 6".
Water tight would be preferable (c:

I was thinking of pop-rivetting on an aluminium sheet for now (suitably
glued).

Z.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zoinks wrote:
Best way to repair a hole in a fibre-glass hull dinghy ?
Say 6" x 6".
Water tight would be preferable (c:

I was thinking of pop-rivetting on an aluminium sheet for now (suitably
glued).

Z.

I wouldn't bother with the aluminium and pop-rivets idea. Things like
the different thermal expansion and rigidity of the two different
joined materials would make for a very temporary repair.

I'd just use a fibre-glass repair kit - preferbly one of the more
expensive ones with the woven glass matting rather than the thinner
stuff that isn't woven. If the hole is as big as 6" square, you'll
probably need to use something in the middle of the sandwich to support
the first layer of fibre-glass and matt until it goes off. They
usually include some thin perforated zinc in the kit for that purpose.
Then just laminate more layers until it's as thick and strong as the
original material

Give it a darn good test before you use it on the water ;-)

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zoinks wrote:
Best way to repair a hole in a fibre-glass hull dinghy ?
Say 6" x 6".
Water tight would be preferable (c:

I was thinking of pop-rivetting on an aluminium sheet for now (suitably
glued).

Z.

No. Cover the outside with clingfilm and lay up chopped strand mat from
inside.

When adequately strong, remove film and use fishing resin and mica
filler or car body filler to blend teh curves in. Spray paint and it
will be unnoticeable