Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mira Excel Shower - Water won't turn off

I have a Mira Excel basic shower that was in the house when we bought
it over 5 years ago. The controls have got increasingly stiff to
operate and the water was very hit and miss when turning off as we have
to go through various combinations of turning the dials on full then
off then to the hot full on then the cold to get the water to stop
flowing out the shower head. Recently our tricks haven't worked and
even if we turn the bath and sink full on and then gradually off which
used to balance the pressure and stop the flow it now keeps running at
a constant flow.

Does anyone know what we should do? We are not confident DIYers but we
also are very strapped for cash at the moment but hate the fact that we
are wasting so much water especially when the country has a hose pipe
ban.

Any advice would be very gratefully received. I have emailed Mira and
await their reply but look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Victoria

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You should have investigated it when you realised it was stiff and asked
about lubricating the controls.

Try www.showerdoctor.co.uk

You should be able to buy an internal module. Chances are a gear tooth has
broken.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your advice. We would have sorted the problem earlier but we
didn't know about this news group and so didn't know who to ask.

I have written to the Shower Doctor and wait for their reply. So is an
Internal Module easy to fit?
Thanks for your help.
Victoria

John wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You need to isolate the shower by fitting a pair of valves into the
pipework. A bit of DIY I think.
Look on www.screwfix.co.uk for a pair of 15mm Isolating Valves

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your advice. We would have sorted the problem earlier but we
didn't know about this news group and so didn't know who to ask.

I have written to the Shower Doctor and wait for their reply. So is an
Internal Module easy to fit?
Thanks for your help.
Victoria

John wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

http://www.showerdoctor.co.uk/faq/mixer.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi John
So I need to isolate the shower? Sorry but I don't understand why is
this will it stop the water flowing or do I need to fit a new cartridge
as your link to Show Doctor says?
I really don't understand all the plumbing speak so you really will
have to talk to me very simply.
Thanks for your patience.
Victoria

John wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your advice. We would have sorted the problem earlier but we
didn't know about this news group and so didn't know who to ask.

I have written to the Shower Doctor and wait for their reply. So is an
Internal Module easy to fit?
Thanks for your help.
Victoria

John wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ps.com...

John wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your advice. We would have sorted the problem earlier but we
didn't know about this news group and so didn't know who to ask.

I have written to the Shower Doctor and wait for their reply. So is an
Internal Module easy to fit?
Thanks for your help.
Victoria

John wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think you need to find a plumber or a "Handyman" to fit you two isolating
valves so that you can turn the shower off whilst it has the fault - and
when you need to service it. Sometimes they are referred to as Service
Valves.

You could consider buying a new shower mixer as an alternative to a repair.
If you are not very skilled you may not have the tools or the know how to
replace the module and the seals.

Try: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1668-0000