Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows Installer was FENSA, but never said....

The building company that installed by new porch (and made a mess of
it) was FENSA registered. Fensa was never added to the quote, yet a
search on the Fensa site says the company is registered.

Where do I stand in making a complaint???

I have not received any form of FENSA certificate. What should I do?

Am I supposed to call a FENSA inspector and have them condemn the
work, striking the company off the register??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Darren" wrote in message
The building company that installed by new porch (and made a mess of
it) was FENSA registered. Fensa was never added to the quote, yet a
search on the Fensa site says the company is registered.

Where do I stand in making a complaint???

I have not received any form of FENSA certificate. What should I do?

Am I supposed to call a FENSA inspector and have them condemn the
work, striking the company off the register??

=====================
Don't expect too much from Fensa - their brief is to look after their
members.

It's just possible that a porch isn't covered by Building Regulations ( as
far as the glazing is concerned). If it is covered then the Fensa company
should have notified the BCO. A call to the Council should tell you whether
or not a porch is covered by Regulations and if is then the BCO will tell
you if the company registered the work they did.

Cic.

----
It has removed 189 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:03:39 GMT, Darren
wrote:

The building company that installed by new porch (and made a mess of
it) was FENSA registered. Fensa was never added to the quote, yet a
search on the Fensa site says the company is registered.

Where do I stand in making a complaint???

I have not received any form of FENSA certificate. What should I do?

Am I supposed to call a FENSA inspector and have them condemn the
work, striking the company off the register??

You will be completely wasting your time contacting FENSA about bad
installation. I have been down this route and they simply are not
interested. Their mandate apparently covers both design, construction
and installation of windows and doors to meet the relevant building
regulations but facts indicate they have no interest whatsoever in
members whose installation would not meet the building regs.

You might have better luck by asking your local building inspector to
inspect the work and pass an opinion whether or not it meets the
building regulations. If the building regulations are not satisfied,
assuming they apply, then you have a clear course of action.

In my case I got satisfaction by the area representative of the
manufacturer of the doors and windows inspecting the work and
rectifying the bad installation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Darren wrote:
The building company that installed by new porch (and made a mess of
it) was FENSA registered. Fensa was never added to the quote, yet a
search on the Fensa site says the company is registered.

Where do I stand in making a complaint???

I have not received any form of FENSA certificate. What should I do?

Have you asked them for a certificate? If so what do they say? Do they
claim it's not up to standards required by FENSA (which would be a bit
bizarre) - if not, what's their problem with issuing it?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

wrote:

The building company that installed by new porch (and made a mess of
it) was FENSA registered. Fensa was never added to the quote, yet a
search on the Fensa site says the company is registered.

Where do I stand in making a complaint???

I have not received any form of FENSA certificate. What should I do?

Am I supposed to call a FENSA inspector and have them condemn the
work, striking the company off the register??

You will be completely wasting your time contacting FENSA about bad
installation.

agreed. FENSA are, IME, a bunch of shysters.

for the industry, by the industry, fsck the public seems to be their motto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem is the builder and I are no longer on speaking terms....

and I'd rather trust my cat than have this guy or any of his minions
back.

The made a mess of my upvc installation, made a pigs ear of the roof
tiling and couldn't toe and heel a door to save their life.......

My loss, but I'm slowly rectifying all the issues concerned.

My only question about the FENSA certificate was related to the April
2002 legislation requiring certificates to be purchased for all
replacement windows.

The porch in question I think actually falls outside of this as it
wasn't a replacement, it was a new extension, that didn't require any
planning permission (within the constraints specified by the council).
I still have to chase and prove the small-print though (as suggested
by an earlier poster).

Thanks to all who responded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How long does it take a small claims case to be heard, if I were to
file the paperwork now?

What do I stand to lose?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:16:38 GMT Lobster wrote :
Have you asked them for a certificate? If so what do they say? Do they
claim it's not up to standards required by FENSA (which would be a bit
bizarre) - if not, what's their problem with issuing it?

It's a porch and presumably Building Regs exempt. FENSA certificates are
about Building Regs self certification. So I would guess that they could
not issue a valid certificate even if they wanted to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Edward W. Thompson wrote:

You will be completely wasting your time contacting FENSA about bad
installation.

agreed. FENSA are, IME, a bunch of shysters.

for the industry, by the industry, fsck the public seems to be their motto.

Yup. Took me near on a year to get the much-promised certificate out
of the sods, and I had a house sale dangling on this (not for the full
year, but long enough).

--
"Tact: making a point without making an enemy."