Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default stairs skirting?

Hi all

We have recently acquired a terraced cottage, probably around 1930s
build date.
Thing is the stairs are in quite a mess, it seems that the walls are
plastered right down to the step itself and have been filled etc over
the years but looks a mess! I look at my home and other homes and
noticed they all have a wooden (skirting?) running from the top to
bottom to protect this plaster in this way.

Is this normal for a home? Can I attach anything to these stairs or do
I have to keep on re-plastering down to the step?

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

We have recently acquired a terraced cottage, probably around 1930s
build date.
Thing is the stairs are in quite a mess, it seems that the walls are
plastered right down to the step itself and have been filled etc over
the years but looks a mess! I look at my home and other homes and
noticed they all have a wooden (skirting?) running from the top to
bottom to protect this plaster in this way.

Is this normal for a home? Can I attach anything to these stairs or do
I have to keep on re-plastering down to the step?

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks

The 'skirting' you refer to is the side of the stairs where the treads fit
into without these there would be no stairs

Possibly the walls have been re-plastered and this has brought the walls
level with the sides of the stairs

Other than making false sides from timber or MDF and fitting them to the
walls I am not sure what you can do

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Tony

Simply, there is no "sides" to the stairs.
As various chunk of plaster are missing, the brick wall is clearly
visible next to the tread. I guess stairs were built differently then??

I was considering puting some kind of mdf frame together but worried
about the complexity due to irregular steps, etc in an old house. One
wrong cut and you've got to start again!

Someone I spoke to over the weekend mentioned crescent-shaped quadrants
that were for this purpose but I cannot locate any information on this.

TMC wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yep thought as much!
I like the idea of drawing the line to work to beforehand. Maybe I can
use stiff card to create my templates and then go from there. Thanks
for ideas and maybe someone else has been there and done this before
and shed some pointers.

Christian McArdle wrote:
Is this normal for a home? Can I attach anything to these stairs or do
I have to keep on re-plastering down to the step?

It's normal, but difficult to retro fit. I guess you'd have to do loads
of cut-outs for the steps. Pretty much impossible to do a decent job I
would think.

I would draw a very straight line on the wall, where you want the top of the
skirting to be. I would probably use a very long level for this. Then fix a
strip of paper with a long accurate straight edge accurately to the line
using sticky tape. Then use scissors, rules and pencils to cut the bottom
right up to the steps and risers.

Remove paper and use as a stencil onto a long straight piece of MDF. Then
get out the jigsaw.

Doing it by measuring would look like a dog's dinner.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like a typical cottage stairs - instead of stringers the steps
are carried on 2 or sometimes 3 bearers - often looks very crudely made
from underneath but in fact an efficient and easy way to make a
perfectly OK stair.
If the plaster is loose around the steps it might mean that the treads
or stairway itself is loose and needs some attention. If not then I'd
just make good the plaster with something simple like Carlite bonding.
Wouldn't bother with a skirting - you'd have to be pretty good at
woodwork to make it look neat.

cheers
Jacob