Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Ikea kitchens - how much clearance?

OK, wife still hasn't made up her mind what kitchen units she wants and is
now talking about dragging me down to Ikea (I must have been very evil in a
past life) A quick look through previous post highlights the fact that Ikea
units do not have much clearance behind them for pipework etc. Can someone
clarify exactly how tight this clearance is as this option may be a no go
from the outset.

Thanks

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
. uk...
OK, wife still hasn't made up her mind what kitchen units she wants and is
now talking about dragging me down to Ikea (I must have been very evil in
a past life) A quick look through previous post highlights the fact that
Ikea units do not have much clearance behind them for pipework etc. Can
someone clarify exactly how tight this clearance is as this option may be
a no go from the outset.

I think the clearance is effectively nil. That said, and I think someone
else suggested it recently, the main issue is whether you want the rear
panel or not and if so are prepared to adjust its position or leave it out.
Its flat pack self assembly after all so if its what you want make it work.

Possibly a more important issue is sizing. 400/800 is the norm with Ikea,
if you want 500 you may be stuck.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
OK, wife still hasn't made up her mind what kitchen units she wants and is
now talking about dragging me down to Ikea (I must have been very evil in a
past life) A quick look through previous post highlights the fact that Ikea
units do not have much clearance behind them for pipework etc. Can someone
clarify exactly how tight this clearance is as this option may be a no go
from the outset.

Thanks

Jim

Its zero IIRC.

Pipes have to go underneath, or build false backs, or a false wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Alexander wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
. uk...
OK, wife still hasn't made up her mind what kitchen units she wants and is
now talking about dragging me down to Ikea (I must have been very evil in
a past life) A quick look through previous post highlights the fact that
Ikea units do not have much clearance behind them for pipework etc. Can
someone clarify exactly how tight this clearance is as this option may be
a no go from the outset.

I think the clearance is effectively nil. That said, and I think someone
else suggested it recently, the main issue is whether you want the rear
panel or not and if so are prepared to adjust its position or leave it out.
Its flat pack self assembly after all so if its what you want make it work.

Possibly a more important issue is sizing. 400/800 is the norm with Ikea,
if you want 500 you may be stuck.

Jim A

Yep. Try Hygena QA range or sensible fairly robust carcases with a range
of not too ghastly doors. I think MFI do these, these days.

Arena kitchens online do better quality.

You WILL if its a smallish kitchen need to make up with 300,400/500/600
and so on sizes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Jim" writes:
OK, wife still hasn't made up her mind what kitchen units she wants and is
now talking about dragging me down to Ikea (I must have been very evil in a
past life) A quick look through previous post highlights the fact that Ikea
units do not have much clearance behind them for pipework etc. Can someone
clarify exactly how tight this clearance is as this option may be a no go
from the outset.

None.
If you are planning on an IKEA kitchen, you need to get pipework
run at skirting level so it's below the cupboard bases. Another
option is to not fit the cupboard backs, but then you need to be
careful installing the cupboards to ensure they are not subject
to any parallelogram deformation (and you should prepare and
paint the wall behind the cupboards before fitting, if you care
about the insides of the cupboards that much). Yet another option
is space the cupboards away from the wall using battens -- this
would be excellent if you happened to want a deeper worktop.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Alexander wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

You can buy carcasses from elsewhere and buy IKEA doors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:

Or run the carcasses through the saw to make a new slot for the backs a
little way in from the rear.

Or simply cut two edges off the back, fix battens inside the carcass
where you want the back, and fix it to the battens. This also makes the
back removeable in situ later should you need access to the pipes etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

You WILL if its a smallish kitchen need to make up with
300,400/500/600 and so on sizes.

You can buy carcasses from elsewhere and buy IKEA doors.

Let me guess, just hacksaw of the edge of the door to make it fit the
carcass?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

You WILL if its a smallish kitchen need to make up with 300,400/500/600
and so on sizes.

You can buy carcasses from elsewhere and buy IKEA doors.

Let me guess, just hacksaw of the edge of the door to make it fit the
carcass?

It that turns you on, yes. I can't comment Chav trends in Essex.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"steeler" writes:
Just FYI, Ikea are changing their whole kitchen range in September - so
buy
plenty of spares.

2007 IKEA catalogue just came through the door.
Kitchen units appear substantially unchanged
(they do change a few of the styles each year
though).

Well according to a friend who works @ Ikea they are totally changing the
ranges (and putting up the prices a touch too).

So much so that they have been told not to give out any more "Kitchens 2006"
brochures and that new ones will be available mid-Sept.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

You WILL if its a smallish kitchen need to make up with 300,400/500/600
and so on sizes.

You can buy carcasses from elsewhere and buy IKEA doors.

Let me guess, just hacksaw of the edge of the door to make it fit the
carcass?

It that turns you on, yes. I can't comment Chav trends in Essex.

Well in these parts we try to buy the correct sized door for the carcass
since it looks better, and is so much less hassle that trying to cut a
wider door down to size.

Each to his own though, you carry on bodging to fit if it makes you happy.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

You WILL if its a smallish kitchen need to make up with
300,400/500/600
and so on sizes.

You can buy carcasses from elsewhere and buy IKEA doors.

Let me guess, just hacksaw of the edge of the door to make it fit the
carcass?

It that turns you on, yes. I can't comment Chav trends in Essex.

Well in these parts we try to buy the correct sized door for the carcass

Ten cut them with hacksaw. tut,tut.

IKEA kitchens lack of service void [email protected] UK diy 5 July 23rd 06 02:37 PM
Ikea Kitchens c60w Home Repair 3 April 23rd 06 02:50 PM
IKEA KITCHENS c60w Home Repair 0 April 21st 06 11:25 PM
Question for people who have fitted IKEA kitchens Derek Doormer UK diy 8 December 14th 04 03:03 PM
Ikea kitchens Sarah UK diy 5 June 21st 04 04:50 PM