Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roofing ladder - madness stupidity or both

Dave wrote:
The ridge tiles on my 3 bed semi need repointing!
A few tiles lost cement pointing in the storms a few years ago and
were "patched up" by a local skywalker! The repair as held so far but
from inside the loft I can see some daylight - it was not a great job
really/

I have a quote for a builder and he's asking £800 to "do the lot". I
think that means to properly remove the ridge tiles (hope I'm calling
them the right things here - the half-round tiles that straddle the
apex of the roof), and re-seat and point them. The roof shape is a
horizontal section some 8' long from the chimney breast to a point
that divides in two ridges - each approx some 15' (?) long that slope
straight down toward the guttering. It looks a very steep angle to me
- but the worse parts are on the horizontal

The £800 is a lot of dosh for me so I had this mad/stupid/mmm/clever
(delete as appropriate) idea to buy a roofing ladder and have a go
myself! I already have a double extention ladder with standoff - and
have replace all the guttering myself - so am used to the height as
far as that anyway. Now I *know* heights are dangerous and that care
and some skill is required. However I am not too bad at general DIY
and mech/elec/wood things - but cement and roofs are not my areas!
My question is: just how stupid is this as a DIY job?

If it sounds sensible - how much would a decent roofing ladder cost -
any sites you can reccomend that sell them?

(I have done some pointing on brickwork (admittedly using readmix),
but it looks pretty good and is still in place after 10 years.)

While I've written this post in a (hopefully) lighthearted way I do
understand working on a roof is no picnic - but really would
appreciated any practical advice on the wisdom of doing this - or
ideed *how* to do it.
Thanks

ps Apols if I've used the incorrect terms above. Please make
allowances with your superior knowledge.

Where are you? I'll do it for 400GBP. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

ladder stand-off question Jonathan Joseph Home Repair 10 August 4th 18 03:35 AM
Roofing ladder - madness stupidity or both Ken UK diy 11 August 1st 06 05:39 PM
Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Preparing for masonry paint David UK diy 3 September 19th 03 05:51 PM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM