Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ken Ken is offline

Default Roofing ladder - madness stupidity or both

£800.00 for that lot sounds reasonable to me. Don't forget, roofers and
builders have to have two men for this work , assuming they do it from
ladders and to take off all those ridge tiles, clean off the old mortar and
then run them again takes a long time.

ken

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ken wrote:
£800.00 for that lot sounds reasonable to me. Don't forget, roofers and
builders have to have two men for this work , assuming they do it from
ladders and to take off all those ridge tiles, clean off the old mortar and
then run them again takes a long time.

Don't be silly, it's not a weeks work. OK thee may be scafolding
involved on the hips he calls valleys. I am not sue I have pictured his
roof very well.

A roof ladder can be made in a couple of hours for a few quid out of
roof battons and 1 3/4" screws. Make a long one to get up the roof and
a short one fro moving along the ridge.

Where is the felting under the tiles though? The cement mix can be
easily made in a bucket a few trowelfulls at a time. 4 or 5 to one is
plenty. You only need a few dots under each tile.

You'd easily have the job done in a day. That is if there is no slope
involved. I wouldn't know how to go about that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Weatherlawyer writes

Ken wrote:
£800.00 for that lot sounds reasonable to me. Don't forget, roofers and
builders have to have two men for this work , assuming they do it from
ladders and to take off all those ridge tiles, clean off the old mortar and
then run them again takes a long time.

Don't be silly, it's not a weeks work. OK thee may be scafolding
involved on the hips he calls valleys. I am not sue I have pictured his
roof very well.

A roof ladder can be made in a couple of hours for a few quid out of
roof battons and 1 3/4" screws. Make a long one to get up the roof and
a short one fro moving along the ridge.

Well if you must DIY that then make a bl**dy good job of it.

Suppose its down to how much you value your existence on this planet!.

Go and buy one.. and only do the job if you feel confident working up
there!....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

A roof ladder can be made in a couple of hours for a few quid out of
roof battons and 1 3/4" screws. Make a long one to get up the roof and
a short one fro moving along the ridge.

It can, but there are gotchas, and when you're over 2 floors up it only
takes one gotcha to kill. I dont mind using home made ladders in some
situs, but I wouldnt want to take one onto a roof 2 1/2 floors up. The
other issue is weight, when youre sitting on the ridge and need to pick
up and swing a ladder, choosing a heavier wooden one can be dangerous.

It all sounds perfectly diyable, but if youre not skilled & experienced
or are using home made ladders I'd suggest getting a safety harness and
slinging a rope from it round a chimney, then if anything goes wrong
youve got no worries.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
wrote:

It can, but there are gotchas, and when you're over 2 floors up it
only takes one gotcha to kill. I dont mind using home made ladders in
some situs, but I wouldnt want to take one onto a roof 2 1/2 floors
up. The other issue is weight, when youre sitting on the ridge and
need to pick up and swing a ladder, choosing a heavier wooden one can
be dangerous.

If you're not confident of shinning up a homemade roof ladder it begs the
question of your DIY skills?

There is nothing complicated about screwing two lenghts of timber with x
amount of slats(rungs together,with a 2x2 screwed to the top for a

overhang
of the Ridge.

Once this is positioned securely over the ridge up you go, sit on the

ridge
and use your arse cheeks to slide along the ridge in relation to your arms
pushing you along the ridge after each ridge tile is done.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ok let look at this rebedding and pointing of ridge & hip ridge job. Right
youve put the ladder up and hopfully tied it to the roof by taking out some
tiles to access the tile laths. The next job is to get the hook over the
ridge, best place is in the middle of the ridge section and youve tied the
crawler (roof ladder) to the ladder. Next thing is to get the mortar up to
the top of the ridge, where are you going to put this buckit of mortar, will
it balance on the ridge can you fit it between the runs of the crawl board.
Next youve got to remove the ridge tile to enable to place the mortar in
line on the tiles. What do you do with the ridge tile while you reach to get
the mortar out of the buckit. Remember you are 2 storys up trying to move
your body in 180 degs sitting on the ridge tiles keeping the buckit of
mortar from crashing down the roof. You havent even tried doing the hip
ridge yet and theres no where to hang a crawl board. Hip ridge, you take off
the first one at the bottom and the others start to slide down and you are
up there with a buckit of mortar and a hip ridge. Oh and dont forget you may
have to replace the old hip iron at the bottom of the hip and clean off all
the old mortar off the tiles.
I think you will find that £800 sound a better idea, proving they are taken
off rebedded and pointed not just pointed. By the way anything less than 2
sand & 1 cement is a waste of time. Ive seen some of theses home made crawl
boards, hanging over ridge tiles, no thanks.

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

In answer to your bucket balancing problem(not that it is mind)

Take a square piece of wood, take another two pieces of wood, cut a *V*
shape out of those two pieces of wood,screw them two pieces of wood to the
Square piece of wood...hey presto a wooden support that sits over the ridge
tiles to put your bucket on. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster writes:

So you'd have just a 2" long 'hook' overhanging the top of a curved
ridge tile, which is also by definition already loose? Rather you than me.

As I said in another post recently, it's not a ridge tile hook.
It passes over the ridge tiles without touching them, and rests
on the roof the other side of the ridge.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Lobster writes:
So you'd have just a 2" long 'hook' overhanging the top of a curved
ridge tile, which is also by definition already loose? Rather you than me.

As I said in another post recently, it's not a ridge tile hook.
It passes over the ridge tiles without touching them, and rests
on the roof the other side of the ridge.

That's what a roof ladder should do, sure; but I'd question whether a
hook just 2" long would do that, and reliably so.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Lobster writes:

So you'd have just a 2" long 'hook' overhanging the top of a curved
ridge tile, which is also by definition already loose? Rather you than me.

As I said in another post recently, it's not a ridge tile hook.
It passes over the ridge tiles without touching them, and rests
on the roof the other side of the ridge.

No WAY!, on god's good earth would you find me up on a roof with that
sort of heath Robinson contraption.

And thats based on some years spent as an aerial rigger in a TV shop tho
many years ago when I had less sense than now!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:

It can, but there are gotchas, and when you're over 2 floors up it
only takes one gotcha to kill. I dont mind using home made ladders in
some situs, but I wouldnt want to take one onto a roof 2 1/2 floors
up. The other issue is weight, when youre sitting on the ridge and
need to pick up and swing a ladder, choosing a heavier wooden one can
be dangerous.

If you're not confident of shinning up a homemade roof ladder it begs the
question of your DIY skills?

In my mind it begs the question of sense. When I was seriously
considering doing this I had a chat with an experienced roofer, and
looked at the issues with home made ladders, and I have to say I dont
think it sensible to use one for roofwork on a 2 storey house.

There is nothing complicated about screwing two lenghts of timber with x
amount of slats(rungs together,with a 2x2 screwed to the top for a overhang
of the Ridge.

I would disagree. Home made wood ladders have failure modes that are
easily overlooked. Eg a bit of wood split at some point, the split
travelled at an angle, resulting in wood with a fraction of its
original strength. Or eg the treads are strong enough, but putting a
screw thru them half way means the weight is supported on only half the
wood size, and that isnt strong enough. And so on. Sure one can make
them properly, but its too easy for someone that doesnt know the
gotchas to come acropper. And on top of a 2 storey house isnt the place
to find out your ladders splitting. Its just not worth it. If Benny the
Big is after you and spending the money he wants on a pukka ladder is
going to put your life in danger, then maybe it is.

NT

ladder stand-off question Jonathan Joseph Home Repair 10 August 4th 18 03:35 AM
Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
loft ladder mistake skyblue UK diy 13 January 22nd 06 11:03 AM
Preparing for masonry paint David UK diy 3 September 19th 03 05:51 PM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM