Senior Member

Default stud and cable finder

Which one is a good stud and cable finder under £75?

I have found this one: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...57327&ts=47417

However, if possible, I would like one able to locate metal and live wires up to 1.5 inches deep, the one above is only 0.75 inches.

Even after carefully selecting a spot far enough from a mains socket, I hit two phone cables which required a lot of work to fix.

Will phone cables be detected?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wouldn't count on the stud detection on that being very good.

Go to your local B&Q's hand tools section (near the spirit levels etc)
and get yourself a stud detector that looks like this (costs about
£16):

http://www.zircon.com/SellPages/Scan...Spro/SSPro.jpg

As a stud detector it's superb but unfortunately it doesn't have live
wire/copper detector but you could get a good one those separately and
they're not too expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cucumber wrote:

I wouldn't count on the stud detection on that being very good.

Go to your local B&Q's hand tools section (near the spirit levels etc)
and get yourself a stud detector that looks like this (costs about
£16):

http://www.zircon.com/SellPages/Scan...Spro/SSPro.jpg

As a stud detector it's superb but unfortunately it doesn't have live
wire/copper detector but you could get a good one those separately and
they're not too expensive.

You can get the Zircon Triscanner Pro from RS for about £40. That has
all the facilities you require. The only thing it can't do is find studs
through metalised foils.

--
Cheers,

John.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rumm
cucumber wrote:

I wouldn't count on the stud detection on that being very good.

Go to your local B&Q's hand tools section (near the spirit levels etc)
and get yourself a stud detector that looks like this (costs about
£16):

http://www.zircon.com/SellPages/Scan...Spro/SSPro.jpg

As a stud detector it's superb but unfortunately it doesn't have live
wire/copper detector but you could get a good one those separately and
they're not too expensive.

You can get the Zircon Triscanner Pro from RS for about £40. That has
all the facilities you require. The only thing it can't do is find studs
through metalised foils.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thank you John, that looks like the one to go for.

The only thing is that I did, some time ago, tried one, and would give me erratic readings and had to return it. Perhaps there was something wrong with that unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:

John Rumm Wrote:
cucumber wrote:
-
[...]

You could always try dowsing for the cables!

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
You can get the Zircon Triscanner Pro from RS for about £40. That has
all the facilities you require. The only thing it can't do is find
studs
through metalised foils.

Didn't someone confirm a few months ago that it can still find the
nail/screw heads going into the studs?

--
Ian White

Rapitest Cable and Stud detector [email protected] UK diy 19 April 29th 20 07:29 PM
Stud Finder david lang UK diy 3 December 27th 05 02:23 PM
Cable support inside stud walls? Jim Ingram UK diy 0 November 1st 05 05:29 PM
wiring code - cable stackers [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 10th 05 03:34 AM
Adding wiring to an existing Stud Wall Rob Horton UK diy 1 March 28th 05 11:36 AM