Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refund on an unopened tin of paint

My mum bought some paint yesterday from an indpendant trader/shop(ie, not
B&Q) as she felt she was going to run out of paint on the house she is
currently decorating...

However, as it turns out she did not need the extra tin so today she took it
back, totally unused and unopened and the shop refused to give her either a
refund or a credit note. She had the receipt.

Is this common practice for tins of paint? I could understand if it had been
opened but it clearly hadn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"luke" wrote in message
My mum bought some paint yesterday from an indpendant trader/shop(ie, not
B&Q) as she felt she was going to run out of paint on the house she is
currently decorating...

However, as it turns out she did not need the extra tin so today she took
it back, totally unused and unopened and the shop refused to give her
either a refund or a credit note. She had the receipt.

Is this common practice for tins of paint? I could understand if it had
been opened but it clearly hadn't.

Yes its quite common for the smaller retailer to do this, after all its not
his fault your mother bought to much is it.

I know someone who works in one of the larger stores B&Q and you would not
believe some of the things that customers bring back for a refund.

Supposedly un-opened boxes and tins that actually contain bricks, Blown
bulbs that are printed with the Tesco logo, goods that B&Q have never ever
sold. The large companies have multi million pound turnovers to cover these
type of losses what hope has the little man got.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

luke wrote:
My mum bought some paint yesterday from an indpendant trader/shop(ie,
not B&Q) as she felt she was going to run out of paint on the house
she is currently decorating...

One of the reasons I buy most of my materials from Wickes. They have a
clear policy of refunding anything unused without question.

They don't have to do this, it's just their policy, but it works well for me
and for them.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
My mum bought some paint yesterday from an indpendant trader/shop(ie,
not B&Q) as she felt she was going to run out of paint on the house
she is currently decorating...

One of the reasons I buy most of my materials from Wickes. They have a
clear policy of refunding anything unused without question.

They don't have to do this, it's just their policy, but it works well
for me and for them.

The fair way for a small trader would be a handling charge - perhaps equal
to half the mark up?

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

However, as it turns out she did not need the extra tin so today she took
it
back, totally unused and unopened and the shop refused to give her either

refund or a credit note. She had the receipt.

You could always take it back to B&Q for vouchers if they sell the same tin.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
However, as it turns out she did not need the extra tin so today she
took it back, totally unused and unopened and the shop refused to give
her either a refund or a credit note. She had the receipt.

You could always take it back to B&Q for vouchers if they sell the same
tin.

Wonder if the barcode would be the same?

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:37:33 +0100, "luke"
wrote:

Is this common practice for tins of paint? I could understand if it had been
opened but it clearly hadn't.

When I worked for Crown we'd take back unopened tins, in fact
sometimes I'd say to people, if they were uncertain about a colour, to
try a couple of brushfulls to see if it was ok and if they weren't
happy with it then to bring it back, only with ready mixed, not mixed
to order, sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul" wrote in message
.. .

"luke" wrote in message
[...]

Years ago I took surpluss to the job un-opened cans of paint back to
Homebase and they weighed them before refunding. I asked why ? The reason
was the locals from the nearby estate would buy cans of paint remove
sufficient from each can for their job and put a brick into to bring the
level back to the top and return for a refund.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As long as its a 13 digit one, it will be. The smaller ones are "company"
specific - ie. B&Q, Wickes etc

--
Regards

M Millar

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
However, as it turns out she did not need the extra tin so today she
took it back, totally unused and unopened and the shop refused to give
her either a refund or a credit note. She had the receipt.

You could always take it back to B&Q for vouchers if they sell the same
tin.

Wonder if the barcode would be the same?

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
However, as it turns out she did not need the extra tin so today she
took it back, totally unused and unopened and the shop refused to give
her either a refund or a credit note. She had the receipt.

You could always take it back to B&Q for vouchers if they sell the same
tin.

Wonder if the barcode would be the same?

If it is exactly the same product it will be. The EAN-13 codes used in
retail are created by the manufacturers, using their manufacturer number and
a product number to create a globally unique identifier.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:
You could always take it back to B&Q for vouchers if they sell the
same tin.

Wonder if the barcode would be the same?

If it is exactly the same product it will be. The EAN-13 codes used in
retail are created by the manufacturers, using their manufacturer number
and a product number to create a globally unique identifier.

Right. I did wonder if a firm the size of B&Q would get the makers to give
them an unique one. Which would save arguing as to whether it was bought
there.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
nightjar nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:
You could always take it back to B&Q for vouchers if they sell the
same tin.

Wonder if the barcode would be the same?

If it is exactly the same product it will be. The EAN-13 codes used in
retail are created by the manufacturers, using their manufacturer number
and a product number to create a globally unique identifier.

Right. I did wonder if a firm the size of B&Q would get the makers to give
them an unique one. Which would save arguing as to whether it was bought
there.

The manual on using EAN numbers is doorstop size. However, I think that
would be against the rules under which the licence is granted, unless the
packaging were noticeably different, for example with something like 'made
for B&Q' on the tin. In any case, it would make stock control at the
manufacturer's interesting if you couldn't tell the difference at a glance.
Personal experience suggests that even quite obviously different products
frequently find their way into the wrong bays and that portable bar code
readers are a bit high tech for most store keepers to operate reliably.

Colin Bignell