Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean

Default Valspar paint ...ARGH!

I've been trying to repaint the woodwork in my house with Valspar satin
latex (not the Signature brand paint, just the regular Valspar). I've
tried to control the conditions in the house (It is usually 70
degrees), and I'm using Purdy brushes. I know that latex is not "good"
when it comes to flow and workability, so I've even tried adding
Floetrol to the paint. But nothing seems to help enough to get a
decently smooth finish. It seems like this paint is near sludge quality.
Is it just me or does this paint really perform poorly?

If you answer "yes, that paint is crappy", would you be daring enough to
try to match the color with a different brand, or would you just tough
it out?

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Willis

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:36:44 -0500, Jean scribbled
this interesting note:

I've been trying to repaint the woodwork in my house with Valspar satin
latex (not the Signature brand paint, just the regular Valspar). I've
tried to control the conditions in the house (It is usually 70
degrees), and I'm using Purdy brushes. I know that latex is not "good"
when it comes to flow and workability, so I've even tried adding
Floetrol to the paint. But nothing seems to help enough to get a
decently smooth finish. It seems like this paint is near sludge quality.
Is it just me or does this paint really perform poorly?

If you answer "yes, that paint is crappy", would you be daring enough to
try to match the color with a different brand, or would you just tough
it out?

Jean

There are lots of discussions on this group about how to paint
interior woodwork. Some say you can do a good job with good latex
paint, others say you should only use an oil based enamel for interior
woodwork. I prefer the oil based paint. You want a great end result?
Buy great paint and be willing to put in a lot of time in the prep
work. The finished product is entirely dependant upon the prep work
and the quality of the materials, much like a fine meal!:~)

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Posted to alt.home.repair
R & S

I just learned to tell a quality latex paint from a cheap paint is to rub it
between your fingers. If it feels gritty it's a cheap paint. If it feels
smooth its a good paint. A cheap paint uses clay and a more expensive paint
uses titanium dioxide.

"John Willis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean

R & S wrote:
I just learned to tell a quality latex paint from a cheap paint is to rub it
between your fingers. If it feels gritty it's a cheap paint. If it feels
smooth its a good paint. A cheap paint uses clay and a more expensive paint
uses titanium dioxide.

I had never heard about that test. Thanks for the tip.

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy

I used Valspar enamel a few decades ago in UK, but I can't say I've seen
it anywhere lately. I thought it was a "name brand."

Perce

On 03/15/06 05:52 pm Donald Mac Donald wrote:

chuck it buy a name brand .CIL

I've been trying to repaint the woodwork in my house with Valspar satin
latex (not the Signature brand paint, just the regular Valspar). I've
tried to control the conditions in the house (It is usually 70
degrees), and I'm using Purdy brushes. I know that latex is not "good"
when it comes to flow and workability, so I've even tried adding
Floetrol to the paint. But nothing seems to help enough to get a
decently smooth finish. It seems like this paint is near sludge quality.
Is it just me or does this paint really perform poorly?

If you answer "yes, that paint is crappy", would you be daring enough to
try to match the color with a different brand, or would you just tough
it out?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean

3rd eye wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:48:59 -0500, Jean wrote:

R & S wrote:

I just learned to tell a quality latex paint from a cheap paint is to rub it
between your fingers. If it feels gritty it's a cheap paint. If it feels
smooth its a good paint. A cheap paint uses clay and a more expensive paint
uses titanium dioxide.

I had never heard about that test. Thanks for the tip.

Jean

One more tip for you.

Don't believe everything you read here.

Which means what?

Jean
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

R & S wrote:

I just learned to tell a quality latex paint from a cheap paint is to rub it

between your fingers. If it feels gritty it's a cheap paint. If it feels
smooth its a good paint. A cheap paint uses clay and a more expensive paint
uses titanium dioxide.

I had never heard about that test. Thanks for the tip.

One more tip for you.

Don't believe everything you read here.

Which means what?

Which means that this supposed "test" is BS. Even cheap paint feels smooth
between the fingers.

--
Regards,

indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM
Spraying Paint Tom Watson Woodworking 15 September 13th 03 02:41 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 10 July 26th 03 02:35 PM