Senior Member

Question Revisions to Part B of the Building Regs

Anyone out there clued up as to how the revisions to Part B of the Building Regs are going to effect people who convert their loft spaces?

I've heard from an Architect that they are talking about the need for a sprinkler system for all 3 storey buildings INCLUDING when people convert their lofts. Have googled it and come back with all sorts of arguments to and for, but really want bullet points as to the way it is going. Can anyone enlighten me?

When are these revisions coming in to effect?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Revisions to Part B of the Building Regs

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:11:53 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
Cordless Crazy randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

Anyone out there clued up as to how the revisions to Part B of the
Building Regs are going to effect people who convert their loft
spaces?

I've heard from an Architect that they are talking about the need for a
sprinkler system for all 3 storey buildings INCLUDING when people
convert their lofts. Have googled it and come back with all sorts of
arguments to and for, but really want bullet points as to the way it is
going. Can anyone enlighten me?

When are these revisions coming in to effect?

AFAIK Part B is not being amended in the near future. It was out for
consultation last year
(http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1131416), but there's no
sign that a new Document has been published. However, given the
recent history of the DCLG (formerly the ODPM) that's not to say they
couldn't decide to change Part B on a whim.

It appears that they are proposing to allow a sprinkler system in lieu
of the requirement for a separate stair from floors over 7.5m above
ground (the fourth storey and above) in single dwellings, and the
requirement for an alternative exit from the non-principal entrance
storey of a maisonette. The existing options would not be removed,
but sprinklers are an extra option. To be honest, any scheme that put
forward sprinklers in the manner described in the proposed document
would almost certainly have been accepted. I know, 'cos I have
approved several like these over the last few years.

Three storey dwellings would be unchanged, except that the
'relaxation' of allowing an alternative escape windows instead of fire
doors all the way down in loft conversions would be removed. I know
that some authorities have accepted schemes with sprinklers in lieu of
an enclosed stair for loft conversions.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"