Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fridge freezer probs

I have a large style american fridge freezer with a manual defrost freezer.
The freezer door only closes firmly intermittently causing warm air to enter
and create lots of ice. Also, food in the higher draws such as ice cream and
vegetables end up defrosting causing wasted money and inconvenience.

I contacted an engineer who was supposed to come out and have a look but he
didn't turn up. All other engineers I have contacted say they don't deal
with fridge freezers.

Could it be the seal that has gone? If so, how do I repair it? Or do I need
to buy another fridge freezer?

I am loath to buy a whole new fridge freezer as the fridge compartment is
great and works perfectly

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:43:08 +0000, Missie_M wrote:

I have a large style american fridge freezer with a manual defrost freezer.
The freezer door only closes firmly intermittently causing warm air to enter
and create lots of ice. Also, food in the higher draws such as ice cream and
vegetables end up defrosting causing wasted money and inconvenience.

I contacted an engineer who was supposed to come out and have a look but he
didn't turn up. All other engineers I have contacted say they don't deal
with fridge freezers.

Could it be the seal that has gone? If so, how do I repair it? Or do I need
to buy another fridge freezer?

I am loath to buy a whole new fridge freezer as the fridge compartment is
great and works perfectly

If the door does not seal properly:

1) check the door is not misaligned. You might even be able to
twist/deform the door to a better shape.

2) check the seal is not expired. Generic fridge door seal replacments are
available from CPC and possible the manufacturers correct part too.

3) Rivet a clasp onto the door. Screwfix #15443 this works (i have this at
home) although it is inconvenient especially at first.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:43:08 +0000, Missie_M wrote:

snip my original post

If the door does not seal properly:

1) check the door is not misaligned. You might even be able to
twist/deform the door to a better shape.

2) check the seal is not expired. Generic fridge door seal replacments are
available from CPC and possible the manufacturers correct part too.

3) Rivet a clasp onto the door. Screwfix #15443 this works (i have this at
home) although it is inconvenient especially at first.

HTH

Gas Fitting Standards Docs he
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards

Hi Ed

Do you have a website at all for CPC, I've done a search on Google but can't
find anything apart from spares2go but can't find any generic parts on
there, though that may be just down to me!!

I've had a closer look at the seal and it does seem very dry and almost
brittle and is torn along the top inside the concertina effect bit.

I've had a look at screwfixes website and the clasp looks good quality
especially at the price. Do you know if it will keep the freezer airtight?
Or will it just keep the door closed?

Thanks again for the help, it's really appreciated

Fran
xx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Missie_M wrote:

Do you have a website at all for CPC, I've done a search on Google but can't
find anything apart from spares2go but can't find any generic parts on
there, though that may be just down to me!!

Just had a look in the CPC catalogue (often an expensive mistake!) -
they don't sell door seals for fridges / freezers (only washing machines
and cookers, so don't bother trawling their awful website
(www.cpc.co.uk, btw)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Dodd writes:
Missie_M wrote:

Do you have a website at all for CPC, I've done a search on Google but can't
find anything apart from spares2go but can't find any generic parts on
there, though that may be just down to me!!

Just had a look in the CPC catalogue (often an expensive mistake!) -
they don't sell door seals for fridges / freezers (only washing machines
and cookers, so don't bother trawling their awful website
(www.cpc.co.uk, btw)

Most of their white goods spares are not listed -- you have to
phone - 01772 654455. If you are the first person to need an item,
they create a new catalogue number then and there, and order the part.
An excellent service IME.

Up to about 6 years ago, they did a separate white goods spares
catalogue, but given they add anything (for which they have a
manufacturer relationship) on request, it probably wasn't very
useful considering the cost of producing it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett writes:
If the door does not seal properly:

1) check the door is not misaligned. You might even be able to
twist/deform the door to a better shape.

Other common reason for this is the cabinet is jarred due to
feet not being properly adjusted.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:03:15 +0100, Mike Dodd
wrote:

Missie_M wrote:

Do you have a website at all for CPC, I've done a search on Google but can't
find anything apart from spares2go but can't find any generic parts on
there, though that may be just down to me!!

Just had a look in the CPC catalogue (often an expensive mistake!) -
they don't sell door seals for fridges / freezers (only washing machines
and cookers, so don't bother trawling their awful website
(www.cpc.co.uk, btw)

AFAIK they can get hold of loads of things not listed but you need to
phone 'em up.

cheers,
Pete.