Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default fridge freezer probs

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:43:08 +0000, Missie_M wrote:

I have a large style american fridge freezer with a manual defrost freezer.
The freezer door only closes firmly intermittently causing warm air to enter
and create lots of ice. Also, food in the higher draws such as ice cream and
vegetables end up defrosting causing wasted money and inconvenience.

I contacted an engineer who was supposed to come out and have a look but he
didn't turn up. All other engineers I have contacted say they don't deal
with fridge freezers.

Could it be the seal that has gone? If so, how do I repair it? Or do I need
to buy another fridge freezer?

I am loath to buy a whole new fridge freezer as the fridge compartment is
great and works perfectly

If the door does not seal properly:

1) check the door is not misaligned. You might even be able to
twist/deform the door to a better shape.

2) check the seal is not expired. Generic fridge door seal replacments are
available from CPC and possible the manufacturers correct part too.

3) Rivet a clasp onto the door. Screwfix #15443 this works (i have this at
home) although it is inconvenient especially at first.

HTH