Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson Cylinder Vac - Problem?

Long shot this one .....
We have a Dyson cylinder vac (DC05) which has been performing well over the
past
three years. However, now the exhaust air coming from the motor (through the
hole
where the cable enters the cable reel) is very hot. It feels a bit like a
fan heater output now!
The air coming out has always been "warm" as one would expect but now it's
getting
hot, almost uncomfortable to the touch. Also the cable & plug eventually get
quite warm.
A couple of weeks ago I had to fit a new plug because the cable had broken
where it enters
the moulded plug. Everything looks fine with the replacement, it's got a 13A
fuse so I don't
think that causes the problem.
Suction appears to be normal as well.
Anyone got thoughts on this one? I have also asked Dyson the question but
that may
take a while. Perhaps the motor is end of life? I am not really comfortable
with opening
up the machine .....
Many thanks,
Klaus - High Wycombe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Carl Muller" writes:
Long shot this one .....
We have a Dyson cylinder vac (DC05) which has been performing well over the
past
three years. However, now the exhaust air coming from the motor (through the
hole
where the cable enters the cable reel) is very hot. It feels a bit like a
fan heater output now!
The air coming out has always been "warm" as one would expect but now it's
getting
hot, almost uncomfortable to the touch.

Sounds like a blocked filter. Have you checked them?
Because they hardly ever need attention with regular house dust,
people often forget them completely. I don't know the DC05, but
dig out the instructions and check all the filters. If it's like
the DC04 in this respect, the main filter is washable under the
tap, but leave it to dry completely in a warm place before putting
it back in again. It could also be a partially blocked hose or
pipe -- again check them all following the instructions.

Motor failure usually results in the motor slowing down and/or
generating a burning smell, neither of which you have described.
However, leaving it to run too hot could well cause motor failure
eventually. There is a thermal cut-out, but don't rely on it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

"Carl Muller" wrote in message
Long shot this one .....
We have a Dyson cylinder vac (DC05) which has been performing well over
the past

--- snip
Klaus - High Wycombe

Klaus,
Two years ago Dyson - had a maximum charge for
callout and repair.

NB a MAXIMUM charge.

It was about £50 then - they came to us and renewed
everything that was wrong with the machine for that
price.

Didn't seem too unreasonable to me - we ended up with
a virtually new machine!!! :-)

Are they not still operating that facility..

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Sounds like a blocked filter. Have you checked them?
Because they hardly ever need attention with regular house dust,
people often forget them completely. I don't know the DC05, but
dig out the instructions and check all the filters. If it's like
the DC04 in this respect, the main filter is washable under the
tap, but leave it to dry completely in a warm place before putting
it back in again. It could also be a partially blocked hose or
pipe -- again check them all following the instructions.

Motor failure usually results in the motor slowing down and/or
generating a burning smell, neither of which you have described.
However, leaving it to run too hot could well cause motor failure
eventually. There is a thermal cut-out, but don't rely on it.

I think you are spot on. Removed my washable filter and all was OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RzB" wrote in message
Klaus,

Two years ago Dyson - had a maximum charge for
callout and repair.

NB a MAXIMUM charge.

It was about £50 then - they came to us and renewed
everything that was wrong with the machine for that
price.

Didn't seem too unreasonable to me - we ended up with
a virtually new machine!!! :-)

Roy, thanks for the hint - they do offer a service for £55+VAT.
The website gives all the details (www.dyson.co.uk). However,
as recommended by another poster I have now washed the filter
(never done in 3 years!). It took four rinses before the water stayed
clear - they are now drying and hopefully it might make a difference.
I found the original receipt @ £117 so it might just be economical
to go for that offer.
Thanks,
Klaus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RzB" wrote:
Two years ago Dyson - had a maximum charge for
callout and repair.

NB a MAXIMUM charge.

It was about £50 then - they came to us and renewed
everything that was wrong with the machine for that
price.

Didn't seem too unreasonable to me - we ended up with
a virtually new machine!!! :-)

Are they not still operating that facility..

Roy

Yes, £55, see
http://www.dyson.co.uk/aftersales/he...65&hist=,,1,56

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Saxman" wrote in message

I think you are spot on. Removed my washable filter and all was OK.

Never washed the filter in three years !!
It's now drying out - I'll try in the morning.
Klaus