Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default soil pipe bend through wall

Need to get soil pipe from pan (close-coupled) to wall (distance 12"),
through 9" wall, tight-ish 90 degree bend (replacing lead section),
then into cast iron socket.
Got iron socket adapter, pan connector and length of 110mm pipe OK. But
the bend is an issue.
Plumbers merchant said the only plastic bend they had was 90 degree
with a socket each end. But using that, to get the radius close enough
to the wall I would have to bury the plastic socket of the bend inside
the wall. I was expecting him to offer me a length of pipe with a 90
degree bend moulded on the end to go round in one piece. Looking at the
neighbour, they appear to have something like that (unless a joint is
inside the wall, which I cannot believe).
This is a very common situation. What is the usual way of doing it ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Need to get soil pipe from pan (close-coupled) to wall (distance 12"),
through 9" wall, tight-ish 90 degree bend (replacing lead section),
then into cast iron socket.
Got iron socket adapter, pan connector and length of 110mm pipe OK. But
the bend is an issue.
Plumbers merchant said the only plastic bend they had was 90 degree
with a socket each end. But using that, to get the radius close enough
to the wall I would have to bury the plastic socket of the bend inside
the wall. I was expecting him to offer me a length of pipe with a 90
degree bend moulded on the end to go round in one piece. Looking at the
neighbour, they appear to have something like that (unless a joint is
inside the wall, which I cannot believe).
This is a very common situation. What is the usual way of doing it ?
Simon.

PVC Bends are 92.5 degrees angle and usually single 'O' ring socket.
Your Plumbers Merchant probably only had a Terrain in stock (double
Socket Solvent Weld).

You should be able to do with:

Cast Iron adaptor in Cast Iron Soil stack socket. Caulk some string or
something at the bottom of the joint and then make up with Plumbers
Mate)

92.5 degree bend, (spigot in CI adaptor). (Use some Fairy Liquid to
make easy push fit)

Long straight Pan Connector cut to length through the wall. ( or length
of pipe with a Multi Qwik Pan Connector.

Go to a different Merchant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need to get soil pipe from pan (close-coupled) to wall (distance 12"),
through 9" wall, tight-ish 90 degree bend (replacing lead section),
then into cast iron socket.
Got iron socket adapter, pan connector and length of 110mm pipe OK. But
the bend is an issue.
Plumbers merchant said the only plastic bend they had was 90 degree
with a socket each end.

maybe they were being obtuse and thought you were asking for 90deg and not
92.5deg?

But using that, to get the radius close enough
to the wall I would have to bury the plastic socket of the bend inside
the wall. I was expecting him to offer me a length of pipe with a 90
degree bend moulded on the end to go round in one piece. Looking at the
neighbour, they appear to have something like that (unless a joint is
inside the wall, which I cannot believe).
This is a very common situation. What is the usual way of doing it ?

First point, I would suggest sleeving the wall penetration with 150mm pipe,
then you have lots of options without worrying about hidden leaks. Don't
know if what you want can be done without some sort of hidden joint, either
pre-fabricated solvent weld or ring seal. You have to ensure that you have
sufficient free movement to get the parts to fit, particularly the section
to the CI socket and one way I know works is to fit the ring seal of a
spigot bend to the pipe from the wc. Yes its hidden which is one reason I
sleeved it. Alternatively pre-fab a solvent weld bend if you are confident
you can fit the piece to the CI socket.

Jim A