Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Default Siting a radiator

I am renovating a victorian terraced house and I am currently working
on installing the heating system.

The previous owner has installed Hep2o pipework for the radiators in
most of the rooms, though I am not sure about his chosen location in
the living room.

He has put it on the wall opposite the fire, adjacent to the front
window wall.

I have lifted some of the floor to lay cables and I'm wondering if I
should move the pipes to fit the radiator under the window?

The external walls are 9" solid brick.

Many thanks for your responses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

wrote:
I am renovating a victorian terraced house and I am currently working
on installing the heating system.

The previous owner has installed Hep2o pipework for the radiators in
most of the rooms, though I am not sure about his chosen location in
the living room.

He has put it on the wall opposite the fire, adjacent to the front
window wall.

I have lifted some of the floor to lay cables and I'm wondering if I
should move the pipes to fit the radiator under the window?

The external walls are 9" solid brick.

Many thanks for your responses.

Is the rad currently fixed on an external solid 9" wall? If so, and there is
no insulation on the interior surface of the wall then you will be loosing a
lot of heat through the wall, and the same will apply if you move the rad to
fit under the window and you don't insulate. If it is currently fixed on an
interior wall then heat loss to the exterior isn't an issue. The possible
advantage of having it under a window is that it will reduce the tendency of
that area to be a cold spot if your window is single-glazed and that area is
also draughty, and it may reduce condensation in winter if that is a
problem. But if the window is secondary or double-glazed and draught-proof
then that area might not be a cold spot. I would have the radiator where it
makes best use of the heat output, looks best and is most convenient for
furniture, and insulate if necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

I have lifted some of the floor to lay cables and I'm wondering if I
should move the pipes to fit the radiator under the window?

Although siting under a window provides good draught performance, it is
sometimes not done in the front bay windowed room, as people often want full
length curtains on that window.

Christian.