Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Guttering questions

The guttering is 30 years old - OSMA roundline.
Some of the joints leak - even after replacing rubber seals.

How long does guttering normally last?
Is square section better than round?
What is the best quality guttering?
Any hints and tips?
--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:50:55 +0100, Chris ] had this
to say:

The guttering is 30 years old - OSMA roundline.
Some of the joints leak - even after replacing rubber seals.

Is square section better than round?

Round is probably better than square inasmuch as in light rainfall the
narrower "channel" of water will travel at a greater velocity, and
hence flush out any sludge better.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
The guttering is 30 years old - OSMA roundline.
Some of the joints leak - even after replacing rubber seals.

How long does guttering normally last?
Is square section better than round?
What is the best quality guttering?
Any hints and tips?

so get some gloop in there

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
The guttering is 30 years old - OSMA roundline.
Some of the joints leak - even after replacing rubber seals.

Put a second rubber seal in the joint. It must be really tight on the
clips at the top of the gutter connectors, By the way. A squirt of WD40
on the plastic round the clips makes assembly/dissasembly a doddle.

How long does guttering normally last?

Depends on the make and colour. Osma made 30 years ago was made of
good quality PVC. Others I wont mention were made of crap. I have just
renewed some I fitted 30 years ago when I worked for them (Osma). Not
in bad condition except I wanted to change to white Square.

Is square section better than round?

Technically half round is easier to joint than square but in practice
not much difference.

What is the best quality guttering?

Most are pretty good now but avoid brown/darker colours if you can.
Affected badly by UV Light.

Any hints and tips?
--

Assemble using WD40.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

so get some gloop in there

NT

Dont put gloop in. The expansion/contraction will split it in short
time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris ] wrote:

The guttering is 30 years old - OSMA roundline.
Some of the joints leak - even after replacing rubber seals.

How long does guttering normally last?
Is square section better than round?
What is the best quality guttering?
Any hints and tips?

Plastic guttering will leak at the joints after a few years.

Many years ago, I had seamless aluminium gutters fitted to my house - and
have never looked back. Virtually maintenance free, and clean up as good as
new.

In case you haven't seen it, it is supplied to the fitters as a roll of flat
powder-coated aluminium strip. The fitters have a machine in the back of
their van which 'extrudes' it as ogee (squarish cross section) gutter in
whatever lengths are required. End pieces, and bosses for downpipes are then
riveted in, and sealed - and Bob's your uncle! It's available in several
colours including black, white and brown.

Not a DIY job, of course, but it outlasts plastic rubbish many times over.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ],
Chris ] wrote:
The guttering is 30 years old - OSMA roundline.
Some of the joints leak - even after replacing rubber seals.

It must mean the clips have weakened - they are normally quite hard work
to fasten. Not surprising as all PVC seems to deteriorate with age. So
I'd guess the answer is to replace the jointing parts.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Mills
writes
Chris ] wrote:

[...]

What about expansion and contraction?
--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris ] wrote:

In article , Roger Mills
writes

Many years ago, I had seamless aluminium gutters fitted to my house
- and have never looked back. Virtually maintenance free, and clean
up as good as new.

What about expansion and contraction?

What about it? Never caused any problems so far as I am aware. The guttering
is held up by 'clip-in' brackets - which are screwed to the fascia board. So
I suppose that the guttering can slide longitudinally on the brackets if
necessary.

How does plastic guttering cope with expansion and contraction?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Mills
writes
Chris ] wrote:
In article , Roger Mills
writes

Many years ago, I had seamless aluminium gutters fitted to my house
- and have never looked back. Virtually maintenance free, and clean
up as good as new.

What about expansion and contraction?

What about it? Never caused any problems so far as I am aware. The guttering
is held up by 'clip-in' brackets - which are screwed to the fascia board. So
I suppose that the guttering can slide longitudinally on the brackets if
necessary.

How does plastic guttering cope with expansion and contraction?

It comes in sections a few feet long - and they meet at a bracket where
there is a rubber seal. The guttering pieces are about half-an-inch
apart on top of the said seal, and slide on top of it.
--
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris ] wrote:

In article , Roger Mills
writes

How does plastic guttering cope with expansion and contraction?

It comes in sections a few feet long - and they meet at a bracket
where there is a rubber seal. The guttering pieces are about
half-an-inch apart on top of the said seal, and slide on top of it.

According to my calculations, a 10 metre long aluminium section will change
in length by less than 1cm when subjected to a 40 degC temperature range.
Aluminium guttering should be able to slide on its brackets by that amount
without too much of a problem. I've not had any probs with mine anyway in 15
years or so.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Chris ] wrote:

In article , Roger Mills
writes
How does plastic guttering cope with expansion and contraction?

It comes in sections a few feet long - and they meet at a bracket
where there is a rubber seal. The guttering pieces are about
half-an-inch apart on top of the said seal, and slide on top of it.

According to my calculations, a 10 metre long aluminium section will change
in length by less than 1cm when subjected to a 40 degC temperature range.

What about from -10 to +60, which is more like it for (black) guttering
that is exposed to the sun...

Aluminium guttering should be able to slide on its brackets by that amount
without too much of a problem. I've not had any probs with mine anyway in 15
years or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
Chris ] wrote:

In article , Roger Mills
writes
How does plastic guttering cope with expansion and contraction?
It comes in sections a few feet long - and they meet at a bracket
where there is a rubber seal. The guttering pieces are about
half-an-inch apart on top of the said seal, and slide on top of it.

According to my calculations, a 10 metre long aluminium section will
change in length by less than 1cm when subjected to a 40 degC
temperature range.

What about from -10 to +60, which is more like it for (black)
guttering that is exposed to the sun...

In that case, the change is perhaps 17mm rather than 10 - but still not very
much in absolute terms. And that ignores any expansion of the house itself -
which would reduce the amount by which the gutter needs to slide.

Why do people think that this is an issue? Does anyone have any evidence of
any problems caused by the expansion of aluminium gutters - or is it just a
case of "not invented here"?!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
Chris ] wrote:

In article , Roger Mills
writes
[...]

Dunno, but I've seen plastic guttering pull apart in the cold before now.

And creak madly every morning as it warmed up.

Iron and steel guttering was BOLTED TOGETHER.