Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to detect and control water leaks outside?

wrote:
We live in Suffolk on an ex smallholding which has around 9 acres of
land, much of this is pasture for our two horses but we are also
doing more vegetable gardening etc.

All this entails water supplies for both horses and greenhouses.
While the main feeds are buried and fairly safe and reliable it's
inevitable that the last few feet to the horses' waterers and to
timers for the greenhouse are exposed and vulnerable to damage. One
of our horses is very good at pulling pipes off!

So what devices are available for limiting the water loss if one has
leak and detecting that water consumption is a lot more than normal?

We do try and turn down the taps feeding the horses' water so that
there is only a trickle into their waterers (which are ball valve
controlled) but a tap is not a reliable way of maintaining a small flow.
Are there any devices for 'metering' water reasonably accurately so that
a catastrophic leak (i.e. horse has pulled pipe off waterer) won't lose
huge amounts of water? It would be useful if the 'metering' could be
turned quickly to full flow for washing out etc.

Secondly some sort of alarm to draw attention to large flows that
occur for a significant length of time would be useful. The meter
isn't all that accessible and you can't really ask/expect house and
horse sitters to grovel around in the hedge checking the consumption.

I think you want a Pipe Guard (p/n 17865 at
http://www.bes.ltd.uk)
(never tried it personally though).

But can't you protect the exposed pipe in some way, by boxing it in with
steel/brick, or in an iron drainpipe or whatever?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Bookworm wrote:
wrote:

So what devices are available for limiting the water loss if one has
leak and detecting that water consumption is a lot more than normal?

There is a device called 'Water Block'. It used to be in the Plumblines
UK catalogue but they have discontinued the catalogue.

I dont know who makes it but it is still available.

It is in effect a small water meter that lets a certain amount of water
by and then shuts off. It is adjustable for between 5 & 50 Litres.

It is mainly used on Washing Machines and Vending Machines. Sorry I
cannot be more helpful.

Thanks, I've found the "Water Block" advertised by plumbWorld, it
might be of use but I don't think it quite fits the bill as it seems
to be a 'one off' volume limiter rather than a flow rate limiter.

I have also found "Water Block" at BES Ltd., (item 13756), however the
description is less than clear:-

"Water block is a flood protection system designed to offer a safety
device against accidental flooding without the need for electricity.
Incorporating a mechanical water meter, it monitors a preset volume of
water. When the preset is exceeded the unit will close off the water
supply.The re-set device is needed to re-set the water block after the
unit has been activated by excess water flow. Fitted with an integral
filter system. Can be preset between 5 and 50 litres/minute. WRc and
TUV approved."

So is it a flowrate limiting device or is it volume limiting device?

The "Pipe Guard" (someone else suggested this too) is also at BES just
below the "Water Block", and I don't really understand what that does
either!

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Andrews wrote:
wrote in message news:44a92f7d.0@entanet...

Thanks, I've found the "Water Block" advertised by plumbWorld, it
might be of use but I don't think it quite fits the bill as it seems
to be a 'one off' volume limiter rather than a flow rate limiter.

Yes, it *does* do what we want, the description at:-

http://www.wayscale.com/floodcheck.shtml

is much better and confirms it does exactly what we need.

Thanks all!

--
Chris Green

I bought one and was disappointed to find that it must be fixed in a
vertical position and taken apart to reset if the limit function has
operated.

Vertical positioning shouldn't be a problem, you can get a resetting
tool from BES (among others) presumably if you have that it doens't
need to be taken apart to reset it. It's also cheap from BES.

Marks 3/10. So far it hasn't operated :-)

The only issue I have with it is that it won't be obvious if it has
tripped.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 15:39:55 -0100, tinnews wrote:

I have also found "Water Block" at BES Ltd., (item 13756), however the
description is less than clear:-

So is it a flowrate limiting device or is it volume limiting device?

Ask BES Tech 01213226406

The "Pipe Guard" (someone else suggested this too) is also at BES just
below the "Water Block", and I don't really understand what that does
either!

Flushing Water Heater RichK Home Repair 28 April 2nd 06 02:48 AM
Ever heard of "FloodStopper"? Toller Home Repair 6 February 4th 06 10:59 PM
Water Heaters... scale Home Repair 9 November 8th 05 04:42 AM
Potterton Puma 80 water too hot SteveN UK diy 9 October 16th 05 10:29 PM
New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM