Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Scott

Default upvc windows

I need to clean my white upvc window frames to get rid of the accumulated
grime. I bought some stuff (Thomson's) which is to be wiped on and polished
off with a dry cloth. Since I live in a Victorian terrace with windows back
and front on two floors, it will take forever and up a ladder!
Would washing up liquid diluted in water do the job well enough, or Flash or
what?
Any experiences?
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
I need to clean my white upvc window frames to get rid of the accumulated
grime. I bought some stuff (Thomson's) which is to be wiped on and
polished
off with a dry cloth. Since I live in a Victorian terrace with windows
back
and front on two floors, it will take forever and up a ladder!
Would washing up liquid diluted in water do the job well enough, or Flash
or
what?
Any experiences?
--
Jim

I find a power washer used to wash the car very effective. They go a hell
of a long way, stick some detergent in the bottle and away you go. If
you're lucky it will even clean the windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Jim Scott" wrote:
I need to clean my white upvc window frames to get rid of the accumulated
grime. I bought some stuff (Thomson's) which is to be wiped on and
polished
off with a dry cloth. Since I live in a Victorian terrace with windows
back
and front on two floors, it will take forever and up a ladder!
Would washing up liquid diluted in water do the job well enough, or Flash
or
what?
Any experiences?
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
http://www.jimscot.plus.com

Advice from my installer:
Cleaning PVC-u Frames
Never use anything abrasive, this will scratch the surface which will trap
the dirt. Wash the frames with a mild solution of washing-up liquid. If any
stubborn marks remain, lightly rub with the Jif crème cleaner. DO NOT use
Jif on every occasion, as this will remove the shine from the PVC-U.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 06:53:37 +0100, Phil Anthropist wrote:

Never use anything abrasive, this will scratch the surface which will
trap the dirt. Wash the frames with a mild solution of washing-up
liquid. If any stubborn marks remain, lightly rub with the Jif crème
cleaner. DO NOT use Jif on every occasion, as this will remove the
shine from the PVC-U.

Interesting. I'd class Jif (Cif these days...) as an abrasive cleaner.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 00:04:42 +0100, Jim Scott
had this to say:

I need to clean my white upvc window frames to get rid of the accumulated
grime. I bought some stuff (Thomson's) which is to be wiped on and polished
off with a dry cloth. Since I live in a Victorian terrace with windows back
and front on two floors, it will take forever and up a ladder!
Would washing up liquid diluted in water do the job well enough, or Flash or
what?

Surely you'd still need a ladder, even if you use WUL solution?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Scott

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 08:16:11 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 00:04:42 +0100, Jim Scott
had this to say:

I need to clean my white upvc window frames to get rid of the accumulated
grime. I bought some stuff (Thomson's) which is to be wiped on and polished
off with a dry cloth. Since I live in a Victorian terrace with windows back
and front on two floors, it will take forever and up a ladder!
Would washing up liquid diluted in water do the job well enough, or Flash or
what?

Surely you'd still need a ladder, even if you use WUL solution?

)
It was more about the length time spent up there rather than the ladder
itself.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Jim Scott wrote:
I need to clean my white upvc window frames to get rid of the accumulated
grime. I bought some stuff (Thomson's) which is to be wiped on and polished
off with a dry cloth. Since I live in a Victorian terrace with windows back
and front on two floors, it will take forever and up a ladder!
Would washing up liquid diluted in water do the job well enough, or Flash or
what?
Any experiences?
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
http://www.jimscot.plus.com

Plain water will remove most of it. You can get long reach hose brushes
for washing cars and caravans. They work well and are cheap enough to
try. They also mean no ladder work. You may get wet though.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jim Scott wrote:
I need to clean my white upvc window frames to get rid of the
accumulated grime. I bought some stuff (Thomson's) which is to be wiped
on and polished off with a dry cloth. Since I live in a Victorian
terrace with windows back and front on two floors, it will take forever
and up a ladder! Would washing up liquid diluted in water do the job
well enough, or Flash or what? Any experiences?

I just wash the frame with washing up liquid solution at the same time as
the glass. At some 5 years old and south facing they're still like near
new.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

upvc windows in conservation area. legin UK diy 143 January 25th 06 10:19 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Building regulations - uPVC windows George Bray UK diy 1 November 12th 03 11:57 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM