Old January 22nd 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

Default upvc windows in conservation area.

Hi all, looking to put new windows in a new build that is in a recently
designated conser vation area. Local conservation officer has stated
that he is looking for timber windows. Given the sash style upvc ones
that are available can he insist on this as I am looking for low
maintenance. I doubt if anyone would be able to tell the difference
unless they got close up. Annoying factor is that only one of the
neighbouring six houses has the original timber windows. 4 are upvc and
one is aluminium.

Any views greately appreciated.

Old January 22nd 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"legin" typed

Hi all, looking to put new windows in a new build that is in a recently
designated conser vation area. Local conservation officer has stated
that he is looking for timber windows. Given the sash style upvc ones
that are available can he insist on this as I am looking for low
maintenance. I doubt if anyone would be able to tell the difference
unless they got close up. Annoying factor is that only one of the
neighbouring six houses has the original timber windows. 4 are upvc and
one is aluminium.

Any views greately appreciated.

AIUI they would be on to you like a sack of bricks if you tried this in
Hampstead Garden Suburb. Don't know about other areas though.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 22nd 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

"legin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, looking to put new windows in a new build that is in a recently
designated conser vation area. Local conservation officer has stated
that he is looking for timber windows. Given the sash style upvc ones
that are available can he insist on this as I am looking for low
maintenance. I doubt if anyone would be able to tell the difference
unless they got close up. Annoying factor is that only one of the
neighbouring six houses has the original timber windows. 4 are upvc and
one is aluminium.

Any views greately appreciated.

do what he says or do it twice, and second-hand new windows are worth very
little!

mrcheerful

Old January 22nd 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected]

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"legin" typed

Hi all, looking to put new windows in a new build that is in a recently
designated conser vation area. Local conservation officer has stated
that he is looking for timber windows. Given the sash style upvc ones
that are available can he insist on this as I am looking for low
maintenance. I doubt if anyone would be able to tell the difference
unless they got close up. Annoying factor is that only one of the
neighbouring six houses has the original timber windows. 4 are upvc and
one is aluminium.

Any views greately appreciated.

If you have the vaguest interest in buildings at all then plastic
windows can be spotted from half a mile! They may be low (no)
maintenance but they are also highly obsolescent and will need
replacing in from 5 to max 20 years. Lots of studies show that trad
joinery is cheaper and lower maintenance than plastic, in the longer
term. Higher initial cost but lower cost overall over time. Also adds
to house value: estate agents "retaining original features" means
higher value.
Plastic windows are also an environmental disaster - not only spoiling
the built environment but also using oil reserves and creating a waste
disposal problem due to being unrecycleable and short life.
The more conservation areas the better for all of us!

cheers
Jacob

Old January 22nd 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

mrcheerful . wrote:
"legin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi all, looking to put new windows in a new build that is in a recently
designated conser vation area. Local conservation officer has stated
that he is looking for timber windows. Given the sash style upvc ones
that are available can he insist on this as I am looking for low
maintenance. I doubt if anyone would be able to tell the difference
unless they got close up. Annoying factor is that only one of the
neighbouring six houses has the original timber windows. 4 are upvc and
one is aluminium.

do what he says or do it twice, and second-hand new windows are worth very
little!

See for example:
http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/news/s/106/106074_homeowner_warned_your_upvc_window_doesnt_su it.html

And if you're in a conservation area, it's an absolute certainty that
someone will dob you in to the council if you go ahead and fit them.

David

Old January 22nd 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

The planners can make it a condition if they wish. You then have the right
of appeal to an independent inspector. Mind you that will probably be
rejected.

--
Peter Crosland

Old January 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
SimonJ

If you have the vaguest interest in buildings at all then plastic
windows can be spotted from half a mile! They may be low (no)
maintenance but they are also highly obsolescent and will need
replacing in from 5 to max 20 years. Lots of studies show that trad
joinery is cheaper and lower maintenance than plastic, in the longer
term. Higher initial cost but lower cost overall over time. Also adds
to house value: estate agents "retaining original features" means
higher value.

'retaining original features' is generally regarded as estate agent speak
for 'in need of modernisation'.

The vast majority of people viewing a house on seeing wooden windows would
adjust their offer to compensate for the fact that they would be replacing
all the windows.

Old January 22nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
SimonJ

She might find that once in jail, her front door was even more difficult to
open!

Old January 22nd 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"SimonJ" wrote in message

The vast majority of people viewing a house on seeing wooden windows would
adjust their offer to compensate for the fact that they would be replacing
all the windows.

What evidence do you have fort hat?

Mary

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 02:06 PM
Linux is Driving me $#@!!!! nutz!!! Gunner Metalworking 115 January 14th 06 08:49 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 08:31 AM
vibration sensors on upvc windows? a UK diy 5 September 7th 04 06:11 PM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 11:58 PM