Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Stewart

Default Washing - hanging out or in?

I noticed that my neighbour had hung some trousers on the line to dry, and
that they were inside out. I vaguely remember my mother saying something
about this practice ~ 60 years ago.... What are the supposed advantages,
and what am I missing by not bothering?
Thanks

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
I noticed that my neighbour had hung some trousers on the line to dry, and
that they were inside out. I vaguely remember my mother saying something
about this practice ~ 60 years ago.... What are the supposed
advantages,
and what am I missing by not bothering?
Thanks

It might prevent bleaching, I can't think of any other reason.

I don't bother.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
I noticed that my neighbour had hung some trousers on the line to dry, and
that they were inside out. I vaguely remember my mother saying something
about this practice ~ 60 years ago.... What are the supposed
advantages,
and what am I missing by not bothering?
Thanks

It might prevent bleaching, I can't think of any other reason.

I don't bother.

Mary

not really a problem with modern dyes,

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

yped

not really a problem with modern dyes,

NT

You gotta be joking.

Some modern dyes certainly fade in the sun.

Some people like this appearance.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Stewart

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
What are the supposed advantages,
and what am I missing by not bothering?
Thanks

It might prevent bleaching, I can't think of any other reason.
I don't bother.
Mary

As it was sunny this pm when I noticed, I thought it might be that, but then
I think I'd prefer not to have bird droppings etc. next to my "delicate"
skin!

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Malcolm Stewart" typed

As it was sunny this pm when I noticed, I thought it might be that, but then
I think I'd prefer not to have bird droppings etc. next to my "delicate"
skin!

I must confess to rewashing things which receive birds' calling cards.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Smith

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
I noticed that my neighbour had hung some trousers on the line to dry, and
that they were inside out. I vaguely remember my mother saying something
about this practice ~ 60 years ago.... What are the supposed
advantages,
and what am I missing by not bothering?
Thanks

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Turning most clothes inside out on the washing line will minimise but not
prevent bleaching. If you read the labels many items of clothing tell you to
this when washing, hanging to dry and/or ironing.

Another reason, many decades ago, was because the air was much dirtier and
you did not want your clean clothes dirtied by all the muck from the nearby
copper mines, steel-works, coal-tips, chimneys, steam engines, etc, etc. If
the clothes were inside out then the dirty side did not get covered in soot
and muck and you could still wear them. I know it sounds yuck today but that
was also a reason many years ago.

Fifty years from now people will be looking back and wondering why we
dirtied our environment with diesel engines that fouled the atmosphere and
gave us all asthma and other chronic lung dieseases.

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Stewart

"John Smith" wrote in message

Another reason, many decades ago, was because the air was much dirtier and
you did not want your clean clothes dirtied by all the muck from the

nearby
copper mines, steel-works, coal-tips, chimneys, steam engines, etc, etc.

If
the clothes were inside out then the dirty side did not get covered in

soot
and muck and you could still wear them. I know it sounds yuck today but

that
was also a reason many years ago.

John.

Thanks for reminding me about the filth in which somehow we survived.
I remember back in the '60s just after I'd bought a light coloured raincoat,
waiting (in light drizzle) for a bus that it wasn't long before my coat had
changed to a shade of grey, and had to be washed before its next outing.
(This was when parts of the UK had gone smoke-free, whilst others were still
waiting their turn.)

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:58:44 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

Fifty years from now people will be looking back and wondering why we
dirtied our environment with diesel engines that fouled the atmosphere and
gave us all asthma and other chronic lung dieseases.

John.

The way we are going, 50 years from now, the ants might be wondering
where those huge shoe-creatures that used to persecute them have all
disappeared to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Smith

wrote:

Fifty years from now people will be looking back and wondering why we
dirtied our environment with diesel engines that fouled the atmosphere and
gave us all asthma and other chronic lung dieseases.

John.

The way we are going, 50 years from now, the ants might be wondering
where those huge shoe-creatures that used to persecute them have all
disappeared to.

Ants? It is the potatoes we have to be worried about. They will eventually
take over the planet after the moles have run things for a while. The
potatoes will then invent Time machines and comes back to reek vengance on
all their ancestors who were scrapped, peeled, boiled, chipped and smashed!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm
Take any top that has been dried out on a line for most of its life and
compare the colour inside a pocket or on the inside of the garment. It
will be much more vivid. This is why we turn clothes inside out. The
main area to get bleaching is where the line is (because that small
strip faces straight up) so you can end up getting clothes that are
bleached in stripes... its funny that people are now paying extra for
this effect from new and then tumble dry their washing even in the
summer.
Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Stewart

wrote in message
oups.com...
Malcolm
Take any top that has been dried out on a line for most of its life and
compare the colour inside a pocket or on the inside of the garment. It
will be much more vivid. This is why we turn clothes inside out.

snip

Thanks
Living on my own, I've never felt the need for an external washing line, and
all my washing (for the last 25 years) has been dried inside, in my utility
room.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof

In message , John Smith
writes

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
I noticed that my neighbour had hung some trousers on the line to dry, and
that they were inside out. I vaguely remember my mother saying something
about this practice ~ 60 years ago.... What are the supposed
advantages,
and what am I missing by not bothering?
Thanks

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Turning most clothes inside out on the washing line will minimise but not
prevent bleaching.

Is it significant for trousers though? I'm sure the time my trousers
spend hanging on the line is much less than the amount of time I spend
wearing them the right way out, out of doors . . . maybe I should look
at washing and drying them more often?

--
Due to the very painful lack of quoting Google promotes, all Usenet
posts originating from Google users are now deleted unseen, this means

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
I noticed that my neighbour had hung some trousers on the line to dry, and
that they were inside out. I vaguely remember my mother saying something
about this practice ~ 60 years ago.... What are the supposed advantages,
and what am I missing by not bothering?
Thanks

They were probably washed inside out. Doing so prevents the fabric from
abbrasion effects in contact with other clothes and the walls of the
washing machine.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
HLAH

"Adrian C" wrote

They were probably washed inside out. Doing so prevents the fabric from
abbrasion effects in contact with other clothes and the walls of the
washing machine.

And when you come to iron them, a rare event in our household, depending on
what the material is ironing inside out prevents a shine developing on the
surface of the cloth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
I noticed that my neighbour had hung some trousers on the line to dry, and
that they were inside out. I vaguely remember my mother saying something
about this practice ~ 60 years ago.... What are the supposed

advantages,
and what am I missing by not bothering?
Thanks

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

====================
One explanation is that the pockets will dry out more easily.

I doubt if many trousers would have been washable 60 years ago, but when
washable / drip-dry trousers became common in the 1960s the pockets were
often still made from cotton material which took longer to dry than the body
of the trousers.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:39:05 GMT someone who may be "Cicero"
wrote this:-

One explanation is that the pockets will dry out more easily.

Indeed.

Sweatshirts also dry much more quickly if turned inside out.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote this:-

One explanation is that the pockets will dry out more easily.

Indeed.

Sweatshirts also dry much more quickly if turned inside out.

You've done a comparitive test???

Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby - but I wouldn't want bone dry
clothes to iron.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Mary Fisher" typed

wrote this:-

One explanation is that the pockets will dry out more easily.

Indeed.

Sweatshirts also dry much more quickly if turned inside out.

You've done a comparitive test???

Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby - but I wouldn't want bone dry
clothes to iron.

Mary

You would iron sweat shirts?

Each to her own!

I hang clothes out in whatever state they emerge from the machine.

Inside out garments remain so.

Nothing gets folded or put away until bone dry.

Sweat shirts dry faster inside out...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

Sweatshirts also dry much more quickly if turned inside out.

You've done a comparitive test???

Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby - but I wouldn't want bone dry
clothes to iron.

Mary

You would iron sweat shirts?

Of course! Even I have some standards :-)

Sweat shirts dry faster inside out...

You've done a comparitive test?

I couldn't be bothered but each to his own :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:10:40 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

Sweatshirts also dry much more quickly if turned inside out.

You've done a comparitive test???

No. However, I have tried drying them both ways.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Sweatshirts also dry much more quickly if turned inside out.

You've done a comparitive test???

No. However, I have tried drying them both ways.

There are, as I'm sure you know, many influencing factors!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
svmsbb

wrote this:-

One explanation is that the pockets will dry out more easily.

Indeed.

Sweatshirts also dry much more quickly if turned inside out.

also if you have a printed message or picture on a tshirt it does not fade
as I have t shirts with parrots on the front so has a pal of mine and his
parrots you can hardly see,he wears them to work mine are still looking like
new

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Malcolm Stewart"
saying something like:

I noticed that my neighbour had hung some trousers on the line to dry, and
that they were inside out. I vaguely remember my mother saying something
about this practice ~ 60 years ago.... What are the supposed advantages,
and what am I missing by not bothering?

Fluff balls don't matter if they stick to the insides.
--

Dave