Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

Default 3-rd party replacement batteries for Makita?

Hi, all.

I need a replacement battery for a 24v Makita tool.
I see in e-bay that there's an outfit called BetteryPro selling non-original
but compatable batteries:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24v-3-3Ah-MAKI...cmdZ ViewItem

Thy are a bit cheaper than original Makita batteries

They make this claim:

We sell brand new replacement/compatible battery that are manufactured to
meet or exceed the specifications of the original brand manufacturer.

Which they would say, of course.

Has anyone had any experience of these 3-rd party replacement batteries?
Are they much of a muchness, or noticably better or worse in any respect?
Would you buy them again, or would you choose Makita originals?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ron Lowe wrote:
I need a replacement battery for a 24v Makita tool. I see in e-bay that
there's an outfit called BetteryPro selling non-original but compatable
batteries:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24v-3-3Ah-MAKI...cmdZ ViewItem

Thy are a bit cheaper than original Makita batteries

They make this claim:

We sell brand new replacement/compatible battery that are manufactured
to meet or exceed the specifications of the original brand manufacturer.

Which they would say, of course.

I'd be happier if they mentioned which brand of cells they used like say
Sanyo.

Has anyone had any experience of these 3-rd party replacement batteries?
Are they much of a muchness, or noticably better or worse in any respect?
Would you buy them again, or would you choose Makita originals?

It will depend entirely on the quality of the replacement cells. But you
can be sure genuine Makita ones are as good as they come.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:08:38 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

Hi, all.

I need a replacement battery for a 24v Makita tool.
I see in e-bay that there's an outfit called BetteryPro selling non-original
but compatable batteries:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24v-3-3Ah-MAKI...cmdZ ViewItem

Thy are a bit cheaper than original Makita batteries

They make this claim:

We sell brand new replacement/compatible battery that are manufactured to
meet or exceed the specifications of the original brand manufacturer.

Which they would say, of course.

Has anyone had any experience of these 3-rd party replacement batteries?
Are they much of a muchness, or noticably better or worse in any respect?
Would you buy them again, or would you choose Makita originals?

Have you tried the genuine Makita batts from Screwfix?
They transformed my Makita, AIUI the batts are the difference between the
budget and pro cordless tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

Have you tried the genuine Makita batts from Screwfix?
They transformed my Makita, AIUI the batts are the difference between the
budget and pro cordless tools.

I searched their site,and I can't find makita 24v batteries.
Every other kind, mind:

New 24v Makitas come up on ebay all the time, and go for around £90:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

which is only a fiver more then the non-originals which have a buy-me-now
price of £85.

I think I'll bid on a genuine item, and give the 3-rd party items a miss.

I have a gut feeling that you are right about the quality of the battery
being a distinguising feature of the makita products, although I have no
hard data to back that up. After all, what is a fiver against the total
cost of the machine, battery and charger.

That was my feeling in the first instance.
I just wanted a sanity check first, in case the widely accepted opinion was
the there was nothing in it.

Thanks to all who answered.
--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave H.

"Ron Lowe" wrote ...
[...]

Not quite OT, but after one of my ex's friends borrowed my Bosch GBH (yes,
really!) 24V pro cordless and ruined the batteries by running it flat and
leaving it for a month, I replaced the cells with RS "heavy duty" NiCads for
about 1/2 the price of the Bosch battery pack, and they've lasted (so far) 4
years, and seem to last a touch longer in use than the originals - check the
prices, it may be even cheaper to replace the cells in your dead battery
pack?

Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Testing Rechargeable Batteries with a Multimeter [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 21st 06 03:13 AM
NICD vs NIMH batteries [email protected] UK diy 12 January 28th 04 01:09 PM
AAA battery chargers Tim Downie UK diy 8 November 29th 03 01:22 PM
Price of Batteries Gary Dean Woodworking 19 November 3rd 03 04:01 AM