Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

Default 3-rd party replacement batteries for Makita?

Have you tried the genuine Makita batts from Screwfix?
They transformed my Makita, AIUI the batts are the difference between the
budget and pro cordless tools.

I searched their site,and I can't find makita 24v batteries.
Every other kind, mind:

New 24v Makitas come up on ebay all the time, and go for around £90:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

which is only a fiver more then the non-originals which have a buy-me-now
price of £85.

I think I'll bid on a genuine item, and give the 3-rd party items a miss.

I have a gut feeling that you are right about the quality of the battery
being a distinguising feature of the makita products, although I have no
hard data to back that up. After all, what is a fiver against the total
cost of the machine, battery and charger.

That was my feeling in the first instance.
I just wanted a sanity check first, in case the widely accepted opinion was
the there was nothing in it.

Thanks to all who answered.
--
Ron